Samsung Story Issue

arentstl

n00b
Hey Everyone,

I have a Samsung story external hard drive - worked great, then all of a sudden my Time Machine was having problems and unable to back-up to it. Now my Mac will not even recognize when the hard drive USB is plugged in. My husband has a PC and his computer recognizes that the hard drive is attached, but he is not able to access or use the drive. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix it?

Hey Everyone,

I have a Samsung story external hard drive - worked great, then all of a sudden my Time Machine was having problems and unable to back-up to it. Now my Mac will not even recognize when the hard drive USB is plugged in. My husband has a PC and his computer recognizes that the hard drive is attached, but he is not able to access or use the drive. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix it?

Other than making sure you've tried a couple of different USB cables for the potential easy fix... If either of you is handy, it may be worth opening the case up and connecting the drive directly to a SATA connector on one PC's motherboard if you have that option. I'm making the assumption here that the drive inside the Samsung Story enclosure is a SATA drive internally and that it has standard SATA data and power connections once removed from its case. If you go the removal route, you could also use a stand-alone SATA drive dock such as this one from NewEgg.com: Thermaltake BlackX ST0005U USB 2.0 Docking Station. I have a couple of similar devices from another manufacturer and they have proven to be invaluable for just this sort of issue and for resolving data transfer and recovery problems for myself and several friends and relatives as well. Even if the USB portion of the device is bad, the drive may still be good or accessible directly.

Before you try anything like taking the drive apart though, it's probably worth it to contact Samsung or at least check the support section of their site so find out if there are any support tools that can specifically help to troubleshoot the Story USB drive device without having to dissect it... ;)

I hope this helps.

Back