Samsung Starts Mass Producing Industry’s First 3D Vertical NAND Flash

HardOCP News

[H] News
Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd., the world leader in advanced memory technology, today announced that it has begun mass producing the industry’s first three-dimensional (3D) Vertical NAND (V-NAND) flash memory, which breaks through the current scaling limit for existing NAND flash technology. Achieving gains in performance and area ratio, the new 3D V-NAND will be used for a wide range of consumer electronics and enterprise applications, including embedded NAND storage and solid state drives.

By making this CTF layer three-dimensional, the reliability and speed of the NAND memory have improved sharply. The new 3D V-NAND shows not only an increase of a minimum of 2X to a maximum 10X higher reliability, but also twice the write performance over conventional 10nm-class floating gate NAND flash memory.

Say what you want but Samsung is probably one of the more innovative companies out there, and unlike some others their shit is actually affordable.

When do you think we will be seeing the first SSDs with this technology? Not only will we see larger drives but they will be significantly faster

Finally a technology I read about coming to fruition.
Hopefully some of that other tech from years past comes around some time soon as well.

Say what you want but Samsung is probably one of the more innovative companies out there, and unlike some others their shit is actually affordable.

besides Intel, these are the the only ones I'd buy a SSD from.

I like the Micron/Crucial drives as well, but Samsung leads in terms of manufacturing technique. (owned both)

I have to say this though... Samsung really doesn't do enough to make it a good business/prosumer grade vendor.

Back