SAMSUNG SpinPoint T Series 500gb (good buy?)

Not entirely sure what you want to know. I would not buy a T-series drive now, since the F-series are out and have a higher data density. I have two F-series drives, which are working as expected and have/ had a bunch of spinpoint P80 drives, which also worked as expected.

The P80 drives were rather quiet, the F-series drives I do not know much about, they are in my linux machine and `work'...

The P80 drives were rather quiet, the F-series drives I do not know much about, they are in my linux machine and `work'...

I have a T series 500GB. It's almost silent when idle and seek noise isn't sharp with AAM turned on (a good thing). However, it seems to vibrate a lot more than other drives I've used, including the previous generation of Samsungs. Performance is decent as far as I can tell; I haven't taken any benchmarks myself.

I don't know how it compares to the F series though. I hope they reduced the vibrations while keeping the noise low. If so, then I'd just skip the T series for an F.

The F series is better, but the 340GB version of the F won't available from Newegg for another six weeks.

The current 750GB and 1TB versions of the Samsung F series appear to be incompatible with Nvidia motherboards.

These Sammy's are supposed to be the best when it comes to silence and very capable and close in performance

I have over 20+ over those drives running in storage arrays. I have NEVER had a single problem with any of them.
In fact I just purchased another 5 more 2 days ago. Newegg should have them to me tomorrow.

The current 750GB and 1TB versions of the Samsung F series appear to be incompatible with Nvidia motherboards.
Can you please provide more information or a reference URL I can read? I couldn't find anything with google.

As for the Spinpoint T 500GB drives, I have a pair of them and I like them. At the time I did my research, they were supposed to be the quietest- and coolest-running drives available, with decent performance... and they were cheap. Even if better drives have come out since, the Spinpoint T might still be worth it if the price/capacity ratio is better.

I have over 20+ over those drives running in storage arrays. I have NEVER had a single problem with any of them.
In fact I just purchased another 5 more 2 days ago. Newegg should have them to me tomorrow.

cool I just never venture away from the big 3 (WD, Seagate, and Maxtor)

cool I just never venture away from the big 3 (WD, Seagate, and Maxtor)

That's only two companies now - Seagate bought Maxtor. And there are *five* big HD makers if you count those as two - WD, Seagate, Maxtor, Samsung, and Hitachi. None of them make crap. Unless you count WD ;)

I've had good experiences with the Hitachi drives too. Both Hitachi and Samsung have really surprised me with their quality.

The Samsung's make great desktop drives too with the nice fluid bearings they have.

I just bought two more to add to my RAID 5 array. So far I have 5 of them in a RAID 5 running on a Perc 5i and I have had no issues with them whatsoever. They are very quiet and reliable drivers :)!!

Back