SAMSUNG Spinpoint F1 750GB & 1TB SATA (32MB Buffer) HDD @ ZipZoomFly ~ $110 & $185

Mine came in a little over a week ago. Been running solid the entire time.

sam750.jpg

Yes ZZF is amazing at shipping hdds. The last time I ordered one from them they had it sealed in a big square of shaped foam with a foam cap on it and then bubble wrapped over that, then the whole thing is thrown in peanuts. The Samsung drives all come in the OEM hard plastic bubble case, so it's even safer!

with a price that low it makes me think they're just selling returned drives :(

hopefully not

ZZF is a reputable supplier, there's 0 reason to suspect anything like that.

Is it Zipzoomfly or Googlegear? I still remember those days. When I was younger.

I've been tempted to order, but I haven't filled up my 5 x 750 array yet... and I'm figuring drives will drop to $100 within the next few months when I finally need space...

Weee

oh god damnit
space is creeping up on me and i'm trying to save money, i hate you hot deals

I have two 750 Seagate .10's RETAIL still in the box. Bought them @ Microcenter a few weeks ago. I paid 129 + 3.5% tax + GAS + $1.50 tolls.

Should I return them and get 2 of these F1's ?

Or will it be a negligible difference?

I'm very pleased to see the price drops. I'll be even more pleased when the 1tb drives are around $150. ;)

googlegear ftw. i still get those boxes sometimes when i order.

i have two of these in my ready nas, they run pretty cool and quiet compared to the two remaining Seagates.

Disk 1 SAMSUNG HD753LJ 698 GB , 32 C / 89 F
Disk 3 Seagate ST3320620AS 298 GB , 44 C / 111 F

The price is now down to $112.99. Ordered one this morning. With shipping, just over $120, total. :D

so...tempted...argh. just can't bring myself to do it. seagates warranty pwns *all*. 30$ extra is worth 2 extra years to me.

so...tempted...argh. just can't bring myself to do it. seagates warranty pwns *all*. 30$ extra is worth 2 extra years to me.

You actually going to own those drives for 3 years? :)

I know 3 years ago I had 80 and 120gig drives... :eek:

Damn, I already ordered and installed one - that runs flawlessly.

This is so tempting. But I quickly realized how far away I am from filling up one 750g (684 or so NTFS formatted). I
think that I'm down to around 500g with everything I wanted to copy over, copied. It's insane.

While I desperately want to jump on this price, the frequency of failure on these drives makes me really wonder if the price is dropping because there are a lot of returns, and they want to beat the reputation before consumers start picking up on it.

I decided to give them a try and picked 3 up at $112ea. Hopefully they're ok as I really need the space.

You actually going to own those drives for 3 years? :)

I know 3 years ago I had 80 and 120gig drives... :eek:

hell, an 80g 7200.7 is still my main OS drive. whenever I get some new drives, the 80 and 120 will go into closet backup duty.

For those of you who have these drives, are they quiet or loud? I was looking at the WD 1TB Intellipower, but Microcenter ran out of stock. I may have to pick this up for my new HTPC.

For those of you who have these drives, are they quiet or loud? I was looking at the WD 1TB Intellipower, but Microcenter ran out of stock. I may have to pick this up for my new HTPC.

It's very quiet IMO, but I guess that's subjective. It's the quietest drive I own.

Shame ZZF doesn't sell the SATA cable capable of 3.0Gbs to go with it.

do you mean:

it ships as a bare drive w/no cable,

or

the cable it ships with isn't capable of 3.0gbs?

a. ok.

b. the cable shouldn't make any difference to speeds.

It's very quiet IMO, but I guess that's subjective. It's the quietest drive I own.

I know quiet is very subjective. I currently have a Seagate 750GB 7200.10 in a test unit and it's loud as hell. It is the ONLY thing making a noise, which is what I want to stay away from....

do you mean:

it ships as a bare drive w/no cable,

or

the cable it ships with isn't capable of 3.0gbs?

a. ok.

b. the cable shouldn't make any difference to speeds.

Yeah it comes without cables. The only cable ZZF seem to sell is 1.5Gbs only. So I have to now go to NewEgg for the cable and pay more shipping?? Shame.

I think i posted about this before--- have any of yuo had problems with this drive? If they were incompatibilities, were you able to resolve them?

There's an unusually high number of complaints on newegg feedback about this. The drive seems to have data corrupting incompatibilities with nvidia chipsets and a few others (intel is apparently ok).

This could explain why the price is so much lower than the competition when they're kicking the competition's ass in performance. I'm suspicious, but would love a good deal same as anyone.

$109.99 + $6.60 for shipping.

I was really tempted but it's just too hard to buy hard drives after those 750GB Seagate External drives went for $55 at Best Buy a couple months ago.
Extremely rare to see something like that.. but still.. it's painful to think about.

$109.99 + $6.60 for shipping.

I was really tempted but it's just too hard to buy hard drives after those 750GB Seagate External drives went for $55 at Best Buy a couple months ago.
Extremely rare to see something like that.. but still.. it's painful to think about.

that was a YMMV, clearance limited thing. these are also much much better drives.

the other day it was 110, then 112, yesterday back down to 110, I guess it's back up today...

oh well....

Back