SAMSUNG Spinpoint 1TB $79.99 Shipped at New Egg

Not only is this a hot price for a 1TB drive ... but this is a PERFORMANCE drive. It's one of the fastest 1TB drives on the market (and is the quietest of the non-Green 1TB drives). Have one, love it.

It's 89 now...

Plus the Original Price was $100, so not saving a huge amount of money, but it was still a decent deal.

I wouldn't classicy it was a PERFORMANCE drive, either. It's a good all around drive for storing stuff on though.

Curious... which is the fastest 1TB drive out there today?

I'm looking to get one, to upgrade my 500gb and use the 1TB as my main drive

.... got mine from ewiz for that price free ship a week ago. you can pretty much consider new 1tb drives to be $80 now....

Blah, I have 4..... but they are starting to fill fast as I have been backing up all of my movies.

I have two of these in RAID 0. They are quiet and run cool. And this:

mailgooglecom9.png

I grabbed one... figured I'd add it to my order.. upgraded my xbox to 120gb, and give my kids my 20gb HDD for their xbox

thanks op!

These are very nice drives.. very fast and quiet.

Don't have the room or a need for another big drive, though.. so I'll pass this time.

One of the reasons for their high performance is they are one of the few (only?) 1TB drives that have a 3 platter design.. so their storage density is quite high, iirc.

I have one already, been using it since November. Fast, quiet and no problems so far. Just picked up another, this is a great deal :) I would recommend it to anyone who's on the fence.

perfect! was this close [] to buying the formerly cheaper hitachi. thanks op and in for 1.

edit: wow, completely missed that code in newegg's most recent newsletter; but props to OP for noticing the additional $10 newegg lobbed off just today to seal the deal.

It's 89 now...

Plus the Original Price was $100, so not saving a huge amount of money, but it was still a decent deal.

I wouldn't classicy it was a PERFORMANCE drive, either. It's a good all around drive for storing stuff on though.

You have to know how to copy and paste a coupon code. :p

Just bought one as a cheap upgrade for my NAS. I have been waiting on a good deal on these drives for months now.

It's 89 now...

20% off a competitive 100 dollar hard drive is a great deal. Hard drives alwaays have a fixed cost of about 40 dollars due to all the circutry, controllers, case etc... the amunt of platters and their density is variable. This is why for even 250gb you see prices of 50 dollarts thus 20 cents a gig instead of the 8 cents in this above drive.

Solid state drives have much cheaper fixed costs and scale much more evenly on a cost per gigabyte basis, so eventually 5 or so years down the road they will actually be cheaper than traditonal drives for general use. Mechanical will be cheaper on a gigabyte basis but not everyone needs a terrabyte drive

They would replace my two instenal drives as primary.

593 free of 698 ST3750640AS
267 free of 698 ST3750640AS
744 free of 931 WD My Book eSATA

Space is not an issue, would be 16mb more cache and 250gb more space per drive, but is there enough real world noticeable speed gain to make it worth $150 and razing my files/os... decisions...decisions.

i cant decide if i should make it my primary drive, or just use it for videos and games as a secondary.
the latter is easier, and would save me from doing a disk clone which im fairly unfamiliar with.

i cant decide if i should make it my primary drive, or just use it for videos and games as a secondary.
the latter is easier, and would save me from doing a disk clone which im fairly unfamiliar with.

all my os install go on either a seperate 80gb drive or a 80gb partition. if i were you, part off 1/5 of that drive and use that for your os, and the big partition for data storage and game installs. most progams can install on the 80gb, as they usually need reinstalling anyway if you format the os. there is a lot of games that will still work on the other partition even if you blow up the os install.

I dont' see how those numbers are accurate? So I googled "HD Tune Raptor" and found a review of a Velociraptor using HD Tune and the numbers are no where near what shoeish reported for those 1TB drives???
http://images.google.com/imgres?img...ox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&sa=N&um=1

So I ran it on my system that has 2 74GB Raptors in RAID 0 and got similar results than the VelociRaptor at Legit Reviews. Is it possible those numbers are right?? 1GB+/sec burst rate??? So a VelociRaptor gets around 179 MB/sec burst rate and these 1TB drivers have roughly 7 times that?!?! I dont' see how that's possible.

probably would have grabbed 2 if i didnt have to buy a lawn mower this weekend /sigh

thanks OP, I grabbed one along with a WD green 1tb (using a diff code) at another $10 discount:D

im tempted to buy one or two =(

My hard drive space is lacking =( I only have 1tb total of space between 4 drives lol

Back