Samsung SM-226BW 22" LCD A, C and S models

deadman_uk

[H]ard|Gawd
I have been researching 22" LCD monitors to replace my dead Hyundai ImageQuest Q995 19" CRT (great monitor btw) and I came across this Samsung. There are 3 versions/panels of the 226BW, the S is the best, the A has various defects and the C varies from being slightly better than the A (but no where near as good as the S) to worse than the A. Here is a site comparing the A to the S:

http://www.behardware.com/articles/667-1/samsung-226bw-a-and-s-series-the-verdict.html

and more talk about it here (also talks about C and even a D panel)

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=509815&page=5 (post 42)

You can tell which version you have usually by the sticker at the back, or via a hidden menu.

C-Chi Mei panel CMO M22Z1:
BDA-1003/C329
BDA-1002/D313

C-CPT panel CPT 201WA04:
BIA-1000/C52C

A-AU Optronics panel AU M220EW01:
BAA-1001/unknown
BLA-1001/EB3E
BLA-1002/D03D

S-Samsung panel LTM220M1-L01:
BAA-1001/FBC6
BAA-1002/87AA

I was seriously thinking about buying this 226BW (providing it's the S panel) until I came across the 226CW (which is a bit more money). The CW has extra features such as anti static and anti reflective screen and multi-layer coating (whatever that is...). It also has increased contrast ratio of 1000:1 / 3000:1 (dynamic) which is 300 contrast points more than the BW 700:1 / 3000:1. Here is a direct comparison:

http://www.komplett.co.uk/k/kcp.aspx?sku=331034&sku=338805&sku=331034&sku=338805

I would like to know if the CW model has different panels like the BW. The BW has versions A, C and S.... is this the same for the CW?

Open the service panel and look at the version number (not panel type as this may have been omitted).

* X-xxxxxxxAx-xxxx: Samsung panel.
* X-xxxxxxxLx-xxxx: AU Optronics panel.
* X-xxxxxxxDx-xxxx: CMO panel.
* X-xxxxxxxIx-xxxx: CPT panel.

This should be accurate and allow you to determine what panel you have without removing cover.

Open the service panel and look at the version number (not panel type as this may have been omitted).

* X-xxxxxxxAx-xxxx: Samsung panel.
* X-xxxxxxxLx-xxxx: AU Optronics panel.
* X-xxxxxxxDx-xxxx: CMO panel.
* X-xxxxxxxIx-xxxx: CPT panel.

This should be accurate and allow you to determine what panel you have without removing cover.

You obviously didn't read my post lol. I don't own a Samsung monitor, I am asking if the CW has multiple panel versions like the BW does, or does it just have 1 panel version?

Why bother with the Samsung 226? It's a lottery! Most people are getting the "C" models now anyway. So....Do yourself a favor & get an LG 226. At least you know what you're getting! If you want a Chimei panel, then just buy one or get a Westinghouse!

Why bother with the Samsung 226? It's a lottery! Most people are getting the "C" models now anyway. So....Do yourself a favor & get an LG 226. At least you know what you're getting! If you want a Chimei panel, then just buy one or get a Westinghouse!

But I hear the CW version doesn't have this "lottery", that it only comes in 1 version (a good version). I am not sure though, that is why I am asking here.

I did look at the LG and it sounds good, but it appears to struggle displaying greys.

I seem to remember Samsung talking about this semi-recently and saying that the C panel is a direct replacement of the S panel. so getting a C is just like an S.

You obviously didn't read my post lol. I don't own a Samsung monitor, I am asking if the CW has multiple panel versions like the BW does, or does it just have 1 panel version?

For CW, only has one panel supplier which is Samsung itself. But that wide gamut seems to have less accuracy than BW, at least that's what I have heard.

Well from what I hear, the C panel is often in between the A and S in terms of quality, but in some cases, it's worse than the A. S is the only panel I would desire if I went with the BW.

As for the CW, I look at reviews, and it appears the CW has much more lag than the BW, even though the response rate is the same. As can be seen here:

http://www.digitalversus.com/duels.php?ty=6&ma1=36&mo1=224&p1=2104&ma2=36&mo2=265&p2=2507&ph=9

and these graphs:

BW

36_170_112.jpg

CW

36_232_112.jpg

I thought the CW was an improvement on the BW, but it doesn't look that way...

I thought those numbers of 226CW vs 226BW were very bad also, but we don't know what panels they were exactly using. The 226bw they used for those may be the best 226bw ever made and if you went and bought one now you may not get those results. Even the new 2232bw has bad results compared to the old 226bw, which makes me think the original 226bw test might be a little off. I can't believe they would make 2 new monitors that are that bad when compared to the monitor the new ones were supposed to replace.

I thought those numbers of 226CW vs 226BW were very bad also, but we don't know what panels they were exactly using. The 226bw they used for those may be the best 226bw ever made and if you went and bought one now you may not get those results. Even the new 2232bw has bad results compared to the old 226bw, which makes me think the original 226bw test might be a little off. I can't believe they would make 2 new monitors that are that bad when compared to the monitor the new ones were supposed to replace.

Well there is a drop down menu and they list the 226BW, 226BW A and 226BW C.

I think I will go with this:

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MO-056-HY&groupid=703&catid=17&subcat=510
Hyundai W240D-PVA 24" Widescreen LCD Monitor

Back