Samsung Shows Off World's First 10nm LPDDR5 DRAM

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
While it is not in mass production yet, it should be soon. Samsung has announced that it has gotten its tech together being able to 10nm 8Gb LDDDR5 DRAMs. The move is heralded as a being able to power upcoming 5G and AI mobile needs. Samsung is suggesting power savings up to 30% over its LDDDR4X DRAMs.

The 10nm-class LPDDR5 DRAM will be available in two bandwidths – 6,400Mb/s at a 1.1 operating voltage (V) and 5,500Mb/s at 1.05V – making it the most versatile mobile memory solution for next-generation smartphones and automotive systems. This performance advancement has been made possible through several architectural enhancements. By doubling the number of memory “banks” – subdivisions within a DRAM cell – from eight to 16, the new memory can attain a much higher speed while reducing power consumption. The 8Gb LPDDR5 also makes use of a highly advanced, speed-optimized circuit architecture that verifies and ensures the chip’s ultra-high-speed performance.

JUST mobile phones? I did over-look the automotive application I guess.

Why wouldn't PC makers be looking to put this in laptops? Or tablets? Or consoles?

Hopefully they have to use different fabs than what they use for desktop PCs this time..

Somewhat related, Nanya says DRAM has peaked. Not many agree and Nanya is an itty bitty player with little to no server and gddr exposure, which is where the boku bucks are at. If prices have peaked, don't expect a rapid decline.

I can see this being in a laptop, easily. Intel Atom powered, LPDDR5 RAM, 5400 RPM 64GB HDD... Toshiba's finest!

Back