Samsung Shipping 15TB SSD For Enterprises

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
I could eliminate so much weight and cable jungle from my 25TB system with just two of these.

The Samsung PM1633a SSDs utilize the company’s third-generation 256 Gb TLC 3D V-NAND memory chips. The 256 Gb dies are stacked in 16 layers and form a single 512 GB package. Samsung uses 32 of such packages to build its most spacious SSD, leaving around 1 TB of NAND for overprovisioning. The giant drive also features 16 GB of DRAM cache to ensure smooth performance. The Samsung PM1633a 15.36 TB will be the second product to use the company's 48-layer TLC 3D V-NAND after the Portable SSD T3. Eventually, Samsung will further expand usage of this flash memory.

My power bill would drop. No mechanical drives - less heat, more storage than I currently have, drools....

I need 3 of them for RAID5 plus another 3 for the backup system for the servers. Might put one in the desktop, too.

Can I borrow a few bucks?! :)

My power bill would drop. No mechanical drives - less heat, more storage than I currently have, drools....
While that statement is probably factually correct, I can't imagine you'd even see it on a residential bill as a statistically significant difference... And even if you could, to offset the anticipated 10k+/drive cost you're looking at decades if not hundreds of years for an ROI on electricity savings... Just saying.

when they displayed their demo unit with 48 of those drives in there last year, there was an "estimated" price of $6500 each. That would be $312,000 in drives in that server.

when they displayed their demo unit with 48 of those drives in there last year, there was an "estimated" price of $6500 each. That would be $312,000 in drives in that server.

Don't think I could get budget approval for that.

Nice that the capacity of an SSD has now passed up mechanical drives, but they really need to work on the price a lot more.

Back