Samsung SH-S183L

Is there any truth to if you have sata HD and install this sata dvd drive your HD speeds will decrease unless put on another sata controller? I read this somewhere when looking for reviews on this drive, im planing on getting it but I just recently bought a raptor drive and want to make sure first.

Also will it work fine on my DFI NF3-250gb mobo?

That depends on your sata controller. If it's in the northbridge, or connected via pci express, you should be fine - there's plenty of bandwidth from disks to memory. But if it's connected via PCI it could potentially slow your disks down when you're using the optical drive.

From every chipset I've seen, each individual SATA controller is on it's own, so now other resources will slow it down. I have mix matched hard drives in my system, and they each operate at their respective speeds.

so now other resources will slow it down.

"No other resources", maybe?

You still have to consider how much bandwidth is available to the whole controller, though. Something to consider.

@djnes and anyone else who has this drive : Can you run a CDSpeed TRT using a full DVD5 and DVD9?I want to see if they've kept riplocks on the FW. You can probably use ala42's MCSE (http://ala42.cdfreaks.com) to remove the riplocks, if they exist.

does anyone know if this drive will work in vista? I read some reviews on Newegg and it said it wouldn't work...

See my sig...it's working fine in Vista. As long as the controller is supported, the drive will be. My guess is, the person posting that review didn't know how to load their SATA controllers drivers in Vista.

I 2nd this request...I want to know before I taketh the plungeth...
If you have some simpler, quicker tests to run, I'd be happy to. The drive works fine for all the usual tasks. I'm not sure what riplocks are, or why they matter. I'm very happy with the drive, and will be buying 2 more.

The main problem with this drive is that it takes about 50 sec lead-in to write to dvd's.

It's been a concern over at cdfreaks recently.

Why is that a concern? Are people mass-producing their home videos where 50 seconds makes a big difference?

If you have some simpler, quicker tests to run, I'd be happy to. The drive works fine for all the usual tasks. I'm not sure what riplocks are, or why they matter. I'm very happy with the drive, and will be buying 2 more.

It will take 5-8 minutes for this, max. Please?
:)

I scanned the link quickly, and saw warnings about using unsupported firmware. How about some normal tests that don't involve possibly ruining my drive. The more I read that linik, the more I wonder what the point of those tests are. I've burned all normal types of discs, and even lightscribe-labeled my wedding DVDs that I burned. It's a quiet drive that burns quickly, and without any issues. Considering I have a 965 board, it's definitely worth the money.

I have this drive as well, and havn't had any probs with it. Nice fairly quiet drive that runs just fine. Firmware I am running is SB01.

Does SB01 have any improvements? I believe mine is running SB00, and I haven't had any issues.

Why wouldn't you be able to copy protected discs with it?

Some copy protection methods put 'bad/weak sectors' on the disk to foil a cd reader.
The reader will get tripped up.

A good 2-sheep burner will be able to read those bad sectors in most cases.
On a 0 or 1 sheep burner, you'd either never or hardly ever be able to make that ISO.

-scheherazade

p.s.
here's how to test what kind of sheep rating you have on your burner.
http://club.cdfreaks.com/showpost.php?p=637936&postcount=1

How fast can you burn verbatim Dual layer disk in this drive. Mine can only do 2.4x with media that is 2.4 rated but says on the package that on the right drive can do 8x.

How fast can you burn verbatim Dual layer disk in this drive. Mine can only do 2.4x with media that is 2.4 rated but says on the package that on the right drive can do 8x.

Right drive = Pioneer 111 and 112, and a few LG drives IIRC. The Sammy will burn at 8X only on 8X +R DL media (MKM003 MID).

Back