Samsung Sells Over 300 Million Phones in 2011

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
It’s been a banner year for Samsung mobile phone division. The figures are in through November and Samsung has surpassed the 300 million unit barrier for the first time in the company’s history. With the Christmas buying season just ahead, the total could rise dramatically before the end of the year.

The company is now the second biggest seller, in terms of volume. Much of the sales success in 2011 came from sales of the Galaxy S and Galaxy S II smartphones.

Sweet. Hope Apple lawsuits don't ruing it for them.

Wow... They seem to be doing quite well, I have purchased two S II myself, and I love it.

I bought an SII yesterday, and took it back today. I have got myself all used to Vanilla android by way of G1 & N1. The touch wiz makes it look WAY too much like an iPhone. If I wanted an iPhone I would have bought one. I am also skeptical of how sturdy the samsung devices are. It just seems so plasticy & brittle compared to the N1. I was thinking about getting a Galaxy Nexus, but I am rethinking that already. It is already 2 months past due into the next release cycle (or will be when released - if this year). I am kind of hoping Motorola gets a shot at Jellybean.

As far as a reason for not liking touchwiz? Working on android devices, I need to have a reference device to make sure we are following to the best of our abilities. For example, the notification menu on the SII, sure it is nice w/ the widgets. But that is not vanilla android. Adding that to a device means you have to migrate all that code from version to version.

Guess I will push my N1 until Jellybean is released.

Would have been even better if the Nexus would show up. It's just sitting in stores, Verizon won't let anyone sell it it.....

I bought an SII yesterday, and took it back today. I have got myself all used to Vanilla android by way of G1 & N1. The touch wiz makes it look WAY too much like an iPhone. If I wanted an iPhone I would have bought one.

You know you can change launchers in a matter of seconds, right? No need to be "stuck" with the TouchWiz launcher and home screens, there are very good free or cheap replacements like Go Launcher, ADW EX, LauncherPro, etc. And there are some very good improvements in TouchWiz 3.0 and 4.0 that are now standard features in ICS.

I am also skeptical of how sturdy the samsung devices are. It just seems so plasticy & brittle compared to the N1.

Samsung's Galaxy line is very durable, has BETTER plastics than HTC used in the N1, has a coated screen that doesn't scratch when you just THINK about quartz, it has metal where it counts rather than where it decorates best (aluminium frame, the entire bezel is metal), and the lower mass means less kinetic energy transfer on a drop, always a good thing.

I was thinking about getting a Galaxy Nexus, but I am rethinking that already. It is already 2 months past due into the next release cycle (or will be when released - if this year).

It's not late at all. Do you remember when the Nexus S hit the ground last year? Did you get your Nexus One two years ago when it launched like I did? Both started shipping in December in the U.S. (and a bit later in the rest of the world)

I am kind of hoping Motorola gets a shot at Jellybean.

It'll probably be at least the "K" version before Motorola becomes the development platform, if at all, just to dispel all the worries about playing favorites post-acquisition. But since ICS was developed on OMAP 4, Motorola is in good shape this time around, since they've (wisely) ditched Nvidia and went back to TI.

As far as a reason for not liking touchwiz? Working on android devices, I need to have a reference device to make sure we are following to the best of our abilities. For example, the notification menu on the SII, sure it is nice w/ the widgets. But that is not vanilla android. Adding that to a device means you have to migrate all that code from version to version.
No you do not, you just need to have your APK send a generic notification, it's agnostic of TW or Sense or Blur customizations.

Guess I will push my N1 until Jellybean is released.

Will your N1 still even be functional in a year? Even if it holds up, I don't think I could ever go back to those now-ludicrous specs (weak Snapdragon, pathetic app storage), nor could I live with that "tiny" and dated AMOLED display after experiencing the glory of a more modern device.

I don't miss my N1 for a minute having replaced it with a Galaxy S (which was replaced by a Galaxy S2).

My response inline.

I'm really happy for Samsung. Perhaps now they'll realize that people actually use these all in one devices as music players and won't pull a MAJOR FUCKING DESIGN DISASTER FUCKUP by having a 43ohm output impedence of the headphone jack.

Perhaps.

yea, and 80% of them were dumb phones that are free on contract. I lol'd at the quote in the OP. I don't consider 5% to be "much of the sales"

My response inline.
Thanks for the responses.

I am aware I can change the launcher, but I am working on developing new devices based on android, the launcher is just that, it does not change all the icons/menus. Just the launcher/app drawer.

Good to hear that the Samsungs are sturdy, my kid threw my N1 against a wall that put a dent in the wall (drywall) phone was fine..

yeah got the N1 at release. I love it.. As far as my APK & generic.. See my other mention above, it is more for keeping a firm grasp of what is 'vanilla android' and making decisions based on that, not from some 3rd party launcher/menu systems/icons etc..

I may try Oxygen if I have to go to a non-vanilla device.

I'll be interested in their final numbers. I picked up two Nexus S's on Saturday and of the 8 people there, 4 were at the counter, the other 4 were in the Samsung aisle.

Back