Samsung SA850 on PLS - the first review has been published (preproduction unit)

Well, based on the photos so far I definitely won't be buying one of these.

Thanks for being the pioneers and taking the arrows guys. Good luck getting your money back or a monitor with better performance.

Yep don't think I'll be getting this, looks like I'll have to take another look at the Hazro HZ27WB.

My girlfriends LG IPS236 has the same problem with the dust in the panel. She kept complaining to me about "dead pixels" and called LG support to get a new monitor and I'm looking at it, and I'm like "There are no dead pixels." But rather smudges of dirt and dust between the layers of the panel.

Besides the dust in my monitor, I am otherwise 100% satisfied and it. I really don't think it should be written off so quickly.

Backlight bleed is noticeable on all black screens in a dark room with brightness at 100. Turn brightness down to a normal level and it isn't very bad, and is particularly noticeable not in normal use (unless your normal use involves staring at black screens in a cave).

For 2560x1440, this is, imo, your best bet. No display ruining glare like the ACD, and no graininess like the Dell. For my money, the problems of this monitor are far far more minor than the problems with the others.

For 2560x1440, this is, imo, your best bet. No display ruining glare like the ACD, and no graininess like the Dell. For my money, the problems of this monitor are far far more minor than the problems with the others.

That was my thoughts too. Overall it seems as least as good as the other equivalent monitors. Where I live its also the cheapest Eyefinity-compatible one of the lot too when someone gets them in stock.

Backlight bleed is noticeable on all black screens in a dark room with brightness at 100. Turn brightness down to a normal level and it isn't very bad, and is particularly noticeable not in normal use (unless your normal use involves staring at black screens in a cave).

Won't work well in my cave? Blasphemy! :p

As long as the whites aren't sparkly or grainy this monitor might just be what I'm looking for.

I'm really disheartened by what I've seen and read here, but in the end there really isn't much else to choose from...I probably will pick one up eventually...

well I pulled the trigger on the monitor. I was getting headaches and blur in my eyes from my U2711 when there was white on the screen, and i really think it has something to do with the AG coat. But we shall see.

Not alot about this new samsung display, so I'll be happy to play guinea pig... should have tomorrow

well I pulled the trigger on the monitor. I was getting headaches and blur in my eyes from my U2711 when there was white on the screen, and i really think it has something to do with the AG coat. But we shall see.

Not alot about this new samsung display, so I'll be happy to play guinea pig... should have tomorrow

Great, please give us our feedback!

can someone please tell me what the bezel width is on the 27inch SA850 - can't find this information anywhere...

too bad about the panel backlight uniformity. i was really hopeful about this one.

I still hope the quality of this series will get better in the future. The only alternative is the Apple Cinema Display and the glossy Hazro series, but Hazro has some huge issues with QA so that's not really an alternative for me. The ACD is nice but it's been too glossy for my environment lighting so I decided to return it to wait for the first PLS series.

The early shipments of U2711 and even the first ACDs had some major QA issues but they got them sorted out after a while, I hope we will see an improvement here. Maybe EIZO or NEC will pick up some PLS panels. A PLS display with the QA of EIZO would be a dream come true.

I still hope the quality of this series will get better in the future. The only alternative is the Apple Cinema Display and the glossy Hazro series, but Hazro has some huge issues with QA so that's not really an alternative for me. The ACD is nice but it's been too glossy for my environment lighting so I decided to return it to wait for the first PLS series.

The early shipments of U2711 and even the first ACDs had some major QA issues but they got them sorted out after a while, I hope we will see an improvement here. Maybe EIZO or NEC will pick up some PLS panels. A PLS display with the QA of EIZO would be a dream come true.

Not likely, since PLS has inferior color accuracy compared to IPS. Did you not read Albovin's review of this monitor's chemical blues? Of course they can fix it in time, probably just about the same time LG releases their ultra high resolution panels.

Color accuracy is good for a WLED display. If NEC used CCFL - it would probably match up with ips. It really is basically an IPS display..

I still hope the quality of this series will get better in the future.

i was hoping that as well but then if their first batch gives people a negative impression, that would kind of taint people's impressions of what to expect from it. say there are a dozen reviews of the poor batch.. how will people know in the future that any of it has been corrected?

Not likely, since PLS has inferior color accuracy compared to IPS. Did you not read Albovin's review of this monitor's chemical blues? Of course they can fix it in time, probably just about the same time LG releases their ultra high resolution panels.

Sorry, but you don't seem to know what you're talking about.

i was hoping that as well but then if their first batch gives people a negative impression, that would kind of taint people's impressions of what to expect from it. say there are a dozen reviews of the poor batch.. how will people know in the future that any of it has been corrected?

Early IPS panels were inferiour to PVA, today IPS is the dominating technology on the market. The first cPVA panels released by Samsung had the same backlight bleeding issues PLS has, but that didn't stop other manufacturers from building better displays with Samsung's cPVA panels. In fact history suggests we will see PLS panels in displays from other companies pretty soon.

I just got my 27-inch!

I don't have the Mini DisplayPort to DisplayPort cable yet, so for now I can just open menu.

By the way, when I connect my MacBook Pro using Mini-DP to DP cable, I will get full 2560x1440 resolution, right?

Early IPS panels were inferiour to PVA, today IPS is the dominating technology on the market. The first cPVA panels released by Samsung had the same backlight bleeding issues PLS has, but that didn't stop other manufacturers from building better displays with Samsung's cPVA panels. In fact history suggests we will see PLS panels in displays from other companies pretty soon.

but i was talking about this current model. say for argument sake there *is* some batch issue. but say that they have 12 reviews out with using this crappy batch. then down the road samsung gets it corrected (same model). but how will people know if it did or didnt get fixed with these reviews already out? to me the only sure way would be to wait to the second gen of pls.

PVA offered unique advantages (and disadvantages) compared to IPS, and was cheaper to produce. PLS has no cost advantage over IPS, and no distinct advantages over IPS that PVA's had (such as better black levels). So tell me what would be the point for a 3rd party to go with PLS over IPS?

1. PVA has been mainstream before IPS was even considered as a high end technology - EIZO used PVA in their best series instead of IPS because early IPS implementations sucked, they sucked way harder than PLS does atm
2. cPVA had huge backlight bleeding issues at release and the only advantage has been the CR of 3000:1 at a cost of very high reaction times - that didn't stop other manufacturers from using it at least in some of their series
3. PLS is using a decent AG coating - it's right that IPS could use the same coating, but as long as LG doesn't do that, PLS has a huge advantage over IPS while they are equally good in all other categories

My guess is that PLS will be used in some upcoming displays, when that happens we will hopefully see a panel war between Samsung and LG - who knows, it might even lead to the introduction of an A-TW polarizer.

PVA offered unique advantages (and disadvantages) compared to IPS, and was cheaper to produce. PLS has no cost advantage over IPS, and no distinct advantages over IPS that PVA's had (such as better black levels). So tell me what would be the point for a 3rd party to go with PLS over IPS?

Sorry but the AG coating is pretty unique.. Those expensive IPS monitors look like garbage in comparison. I'd feel kinda embarrased to own one - because at first glance it sure doesn't look expensive. It's like there is something wrong with it..

Sorry but the AG coating is pretty unique.. Those expensive IPS monitors look like garbage in comparison. I'd feel kinda embarrased to own one - because at first glance it sure doesn't look expensive. It's like there is something wrong with it..

That is a matter of opinion. Some obsess over the coating many don't even notice until you tell them about it and then they wonder why you are obsessing over it.

That is a matter of opinion. Some obsess over the coating many don't even notice until you tell them about it and then they wonder why you are obsessing over it.

AG Coating is one of the reason why I choosed a PVA, if you are not a professionist that need to work without thinking to other else than color, I can't understand how you can live with that heavy AG coating or say that you did not notice it.

Makes no sense to me apart from acknowledging that AG/AR coating performance needs to increase with pixel density. I just don't like idiots who come out with caricatures like "it destroys whites" even though the higher haze panels can be found in high end graphics monitors. Simply not credible.

Hey, I just registered to write my opinion of this monitor and to ask a question.
So, I've been lurking this thread since a couple months, I was really hyped for this monitor. I recieved it yesterday, and the first impressions are exceptionally positive.
The looks and the design are really nice, classy and very "pro" looking, the stand is very solid and has all the features one should expect PLUS pivot which is very cool on a 27".
The colors are amazing, whites are perfect and overall the U2711 looks bad compared to this one.
The anti-glare is semi-matte, meaning that it's a good compromise. There's a tiny bit of reflection, but not enough to bother me, and it's a good deal imho.
Backlight bleeding isn't much of a problem, let alone a deal breaker. It's there, but it isn't noticeable at all unless you turn the brightness to 100, turn off ALL the lights in the room, and use a static, very dark/black image - and even here it's not enough to bother someone. Movies and games still look near perfect even in a completely dark room.
Aside from the colors and the quality, one of the coolest features of this monitor is the pbp (picture by picture), AKA you press a button and you can use it as 2 monitors of 1280x1440 - even with 2 different inputs (I'm using it right now for 2 different pcs).

My only, big problem with it is some noticeable artifacting during games: with EVERY game, I get frame skipping/screen tearing every 5-10-15 seconds, and it's BOTHERING the hell out of me.
It's definitely the monitor's fault, since I get the same problem with 2 different machines and a lot of different games (it's really noticeable in Touhou, for example).
It's also not related to the response time as far as I know, I've been using for the last 2 weeks a TERRIBLE 1024x768 30ms Acer monitor and I didn't have this problem.
I tried everything I could, no use. Anyone with this monitor is having the same problem? Were you able to fix it? I'm really getting crazy over this, I might even call Samsung

SHNS0, did you try enabling v-sync in game?

Yes, it's enabled. I also tried to force vsync through Nvidia control panel, nothing :(

This is the stuff I tried so far:
- Driver rollback (from 280 to 273)
- Resetting 3d application settings in the Nvidia control panel, and generally trying all of the stuff there
- Resetting the monitor settings, and generally trying all of the stuff there
- Using different games and different type of games
- Using different machines

Woot

Have you tried to using a different cable? Needs to be dual link.

We're talking about 2560x1440, dual link is not an option.. But yes, with the 2nd pc I used a different cable and a different input, same result.

If you can't see the extreme differences in whites+light colors between your Eizo (light AG) and 2209WA (aggressive AG) I think it is your credibility that is in question.

Aggressive AG coating is the equivalent to getting in a car and looking through a windshield which has been through a sand storm on a nice bright day VS semi-gloss/glossy coating.

I don't agree. I think people can rationalize - so they can 'live with it' but its very apparent. I went to B and H in NYC - since its one of the few spots where you can see alot of monitors lined up IRL around where I live..

It's remarkable how bad the so called 'professional' monitors with the AG coating look. They colors look less vibrant and the blacks look less black. All this in a monitor you are ALOT more for. The whole monitor looks dirty and like there is something wrong with it..

I get that technically it's a better screen - especially if you want to see pictures closer to how they will print out. But if you DO NOT use your computer for this - that AG coating is a total waste.

Aggressive AG actually makes blacks look darker in brightly lit rooms due to the way they reduce reflections.

Pictures won't look more realistic, they will look dirty+grainy on the monitor compared to the actual photograph. Take a picture of a clear blue sky+white clouds and view it on a "professional" monitor, then wonder if your camera lens was dirty.

Last edited:
I don't agree. I think people can rationalize - so they can 'live with it' but its very apparent.

It's remarkable how bad the so called 'professional' monitors with the AG coating look. They colors look less vibrant and the blacks look less black. All this in a monitor you are ALOT more for. The whole monitor looks dirty and like there is something wrong with it..

What is remarkable, is that you think your opinion, isn't an opinion, but fact, and that all the professionals are using poor screens because they are rationalizing. :rolleyes:

Why are professionals using AG coating to begin with. Its horrible in my opinion. Its because they working in very light conditions? But then again they used CRT before? Maybe they using it because the dont have a choice?

I doubt the "professionals" actually have any idea as to what type of AG coating their monitors use. Not sure how they don't notice the huge loss in image quality going from a CRT to a monitor with aggressive AG coating.

t is remarkable, is that you think your opinion, isn't an opinion, but fact, and that all the professionals are using poor screens because they are rationalizing.

Reading comprehension for the loss.

Buddy I didn't say they were rationalizing about the poor screens. I said that PEOPLE WHO CAN'T TELL THE DIFFERENCE are rationalizing about it not being noticeable. <g> The pros have absolutely no choice but to use the IPS with the AG..

The pros can damn well see the difference - but if you need color correct prints you need a screen that can display all the colors properly. So the difference between the prints and the screen is minimal. These guys have absolutely no choice in the matter.

Back