Samsung SA850 on PLS 24" - Test and Review (what you have been waiting for)

It is not obvious and will not be an issue for you, unless you are doing professional print work.

It is not obvious and will not be an issue for you, unless you are doing professional print work.

I do photography work but I don't print too often. Even if I do then I get a proof first. Most stuff ends up online and you can't ever be certain of how it will be viewed.

My wife has a high end Sony laptop with the best AG that I have ever seen. Zero grain. If the Samsung can do the same thing then I would be really happy.

Have you tried it in portrait mode? Does it feel too tall?

I do photography work but I don't print too often. Even if I do then I get a proof first. Most stuff ends up online and you can't ever be certain of how it will be viewed.

My wife has a high end Sony laptop with the best AG that I have ever seen. Zero grain. If the Samsung can do the same thing then I would be really happy.

Have you tried it in portrait mode? Does it feel too tall?

My wife does photography work for the web, and is loving this monitor.

It passes the Delta E test when calibrated with the i1 Display Pro. The results I posted on the previous page are for my 27", but the 24" results were similar.

As for the AG, I can tolerate both matte and glossy displays, and this is the best compromise I have ever seen on any monitor. I think it is very likely that you will be pleased with the implementation.

Been using the 24" model for a few weeks, there is noticeable bl bleeding on the bottom of the screen, near center. I can provide some pictures, but I may need to take some more.

ISO200 F2.8 1/2s

For the issue with height adjustment, the answer could be cutting about 5cm from the gas spring rod and make new threads for it. I think the better way would be to first expand the threads and then shorten the rod. Also the plastic tubing around the gas spring should be shortened a little. I have to take some pictures from the base to better explain it.

Someone asked about a scaler, does this help?

I picked up this monitor yesterday and will be bringing it back. It's a nice monitor and I like the image quality. The only thing that ruins it is the backlight bleed for me. It also seems a bit on the cheap side, very light.

I uploaded a few photos

https://secure.flickr.com/photos/star-castle/

Last edited:
I picked up this monitor yesterday and will be bringing it back today. It's a great monitor and I like the image quality. The only thing that ruins it is the backlight bleed for me.

I uploaded a few photos with a Dell 2408wfp for comparison.

https://secure.flickr.com/photos/star-castle/

Technikal, that looks absolutely ridiculous. Crazy bleed. But as far as I've been able to judge, BLB will vary greatly between individual monitors. Granted mine is the 27'' version, but I have almost no discernible bleed at all.

Does Samsung have a reputation for having severe Backlight bleed in all its monitors, or is the backlight bleed problem a result of having EDGE lit LEDs? Will the backlight bleed problem abate further into production when quality control is improved or will this always be a problem because the LEDs are Edge lit?

Technikal, that looks absolutely ridiculous. Crazy bleed. But as far as I've been able to judge, BLB will vary greatly between individual monitors. Granted mine is the 27'' version, but I have almost no discernible bleed at all.

Agreed. My 24" has minimal backlight bleed (nothing like Technikal's), and my 27" has virtually none.

I think that these monitors are fantastic. Backlight bleed is a potential flaw that can occur in individual units, so buy from a dealer who allows easy exchange. QC is not the best with pretty much any brand or model these days, so you have to buy the best monitor based upon its potential, and swap until you get one that lives up to it.

I'll consider exchanging it for another but I don't know, I'm thinking they are all like that to different degrees. Trying to find 3 good ones may be to much trouble.

How they can let them out of the Factory like that, did no one turn the thing on to test it? I suppose they hope someone will just put up with it. In a well lit office setting where it's not being used for games or movies I suppose it would be ok as long as there are no dark images displayed full screen.

I just may wait for sales on 3x Dells or HPs and call it a day.

Last edited:
Every choice involves compromise.

Even Eizo or NEC is not perfect. Try to get the best specimen you can of the monitor that fits your price/performance ratio.

For me, that proved to be the SA850.

Is this backlight bleed a problem that samsung can realistically rectify in this series of monitors, or has that ship sailed, so to speak?

Is this backlight bleed a problem that samsung can realistically rectify in this series of monitors, or has that ship sailed, so to speak?

It is hard to tell. These panels are a technical accomplishment for Samsung as they combine a new LC mode (for them) and an LED BLU within very narrow dimensions. LED is a challenge as it is a stronger point source than CCFL requiring very effective diffusion.

BLB is not LED fault but idiots @samsung and other companies trying to make panels thinner that optimal :mad:

if LED panels had size of CCFL panel then it would have better uniformity and not worse...

Dark room, black screen, ISO100 F2.8 1/2s

Gonna get this returned/changed/whatever.

I don't think the viewing angles are so great either. At least the first picture here speaks for itself when viewed slightly from side.

It is hard to tell. These panels are a technical accomplishment for Samsung as they combine a new LC mode (for them) and an LED BLU within very narrow dimensions. LED is a challenge as it is a stronger point source than CCFL requiring very effective diffusion.
I have seen a lot of laptop AFFS and IPS panels with zero backlight uniformity issues, which only have 1xCCFL in the bottom. I have replaced the CCFL due to aging in many of these displays and when re-assembled they still do not have any uniformity/leakage issues. It isn't rocket science. They could copy the backlight design from other ranges of LED-edgelit monitors they offer.

Looking at those pictures makes me cringe and feel sorry for those affected. Really! Samsung's QC is nothing less than a catastrophe with the 850 series it seems. Of course, then it matches well with the catastrophic customer "service" they seem to "offer" here, and according to others on this forum, in the US. :p

That bleed is pretty awful...can't imagine enjoying gaming or movies with that kind of bleed. Until anyone posts pictures to the contrary, I am going to assume they are all like that. Guess that narrows my choice down to the HP ZR2740W (which TFT had mixed feelings about, though I guess mainly due to lack of OSD menu, which I wonder how important that is after running some basic calibration tests when 1st setting up the monitor) and the Dell U2711 (which is $100+ more).

Last edited:
It is hard not to when reviews have mentioned it and several folks here have posted pics/also reported same. Otherwise, it sounds like a great monitor, so If you have a good one, can you post pics of it in black screen?

Sounds very reasonable.

I contacted Samsung about the back light bleed and guess what?

The reply said: "The back light bleed is a feature of LED technology and is not considered as a manufacturing defect"

Rest of the message was just about what settings should be used and if those wouldn't help, the monitor should be returned for service. Btw, they recommended "Cinema" -mode, which had really odd colors in the review.

Thats about it for me. :rolleyes:

This was a concern I had in the beginning. This is PLS 1.0 and PLS + W-LED 1.0.

It would be nice to see PLS 2.0 + W-LED 2.0 and CCFL 1.0 with A-TW polarizer 1.0 :)

That should cover all segments ;)

It is hard not to when reviews have mentioned it and several folks here have posted pics/also reported same. Otherwise, it sounds like a great monitor, so If you have a good one, can you post pics of it in black screen?

You can't assume anything. Every new tech has problems and this is new tech for Samsung. I've had Samsung screens, or Samsung-based screens with zero, or nearly zero back-light bleed.

I contacted Samsung about the back light bleed and guess what?

The reply said: "The back light bleed is a feature of LED technology and is not considered as a manufacturing defect"

Rest of the message was just about what settings should be used and if those wouldn't help, the monitor should be returned for service. Btw, they recommended "Cinema" -mode, which had really odd colors in the review.

Thats about it for me. :rolleyes:

Typical manufacturer's response. Basically saying "our engineers will get this right next time" :)

It seems like it's worse on the smaller 24" version though, or we just have more samples to see. This is strange. With IPS panels, most backlight bleed is a manufacturing defect of the panel's light diffuser, or it can be caused by construction tension bending the panel ever so slightly.

Samsung's record of having overly thin designs usually means construction tension.

I saw a 27" version at a co-workers place today. Awesome, great picture quality but..backlight bleed.
To darn bad. We both agree that these "thin" girly style monitors build quality are the problem. I don't care if LCD's are 5-6 inches thick that's nothing compared to the CRT's.

I saw a 27" version at a co-workers place today. Awesome, great picture quality but..backlight bleed.
To darn bad. We both agree that these "thin" girly style monitors build quality are the problem. I don't care if LCD's are 5-6 inches thick that's nothing compared to the CRT's.
Agree.
Functionality over aesthetics, always.:cool:

ieqrh2.jpg

Samsung SA850 Review

Nec 2490WUXi Review

Wow just wow. Sometimes you really do get what you pay for eh? :D
Thanks for posting that.

Size matters, only in Texas ;)

LED monitors will always be thinner, and NEC monitors are rarely thin. The PA301W is something like 6.5" deep.

Samsung usually makes them as thin as possible, but I know with TVs it has come back to bite them in the @$$ a number of times. Too thin TVs cause pressure on the back of the panel which under heat expansion can suffer from black clouding after warm-up.

@albovin- Is the point of that to suggest that the thinner size of the samsung is likely leading to its quality control problems (i.e., backlight bleed)? Just curious.

When I was in Korea earlier this year samsung had a monster 55" TV at a big dept. store that no joke was thinner than my iphone 4 and the bezel was ultrathin as well.

Heres a vid of it from CES 2011 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAiceIxlpH0

It cost about $9000, but it suffered from backlight bleed all around the edges.

The Point is I really wish that if Samsung is going to give us bleeding with the 850 series then it should have a ultrathin bezel to make it appealing for multimonitor setups. And NO I dont want that $500, 23", thin bezel piece of garbage that samsung made 2 years ago.

My S27A850D is proof that this monitor does not have to suffer from backlight bleed.

So, Samsung's design is not at fault. Their QA just seems to be hit or miss.

My S27A850D is proof that this monitor does not have to suffer from backlight bleed.

So, Samsung's design is not at fault. Their QA just seems to be hit or miss.

If 5% are fine and 95% have bleed, then it is a design problem.

1) Not true. An excellent design can be sloppily executed.

2) I'm assuming that you have data beyond the handful of purchasers on [HF] to suggest a 5% success rate? Mine is near flawless, and I'm not aware of 19 other members who have posted negative results.

You said it was QA. If more than 50% (certainly the case from what I have seen) have issues it isn't QA, the problem is some combination Design/Manufacturing.

I say more likely a design issue as the design doesn't take into account what can be manufactured in volume. Your design must be for the real world of production capabilities.

You said it was QA. If more than 50% (certainly the case from what I have seen) have issues it isn't QA, the problem is some combination Design/Manufacturing.

I say more likely a design issue as the design doesn't take into account what can be manufactured in volume. Your design must be for the real world of production capabilities.

Maybe. But I think that it was generally agreed that the dust underneath the glass on the Hazro monitors was a result of production, not design.

So, I don't think the design can be knoocked with any certainty at this point, especially since excellent specimens do exist and the sampe pool is still very small.

@albovin- Is the point of that to suggest that the thinner size of the samsung is likely leading to its quality control problems (i.e., backlight bleed)? Just curious.

It's becoming a well known now that thinner designs are usually made at the cost of image quality. There are good threads on the subject at many of the audio and videophile enthusiast home theater forums around the net.

Every thin monitor or television I've ever seen has had more issues than thicker, better built displays. I don't get the fascination with overly thin displays, it's probably more to do with marketing and status.

We'll see how these SA850's hold up over the months and years.

After having some experience with the S27A850, I'll be most inclined to agree with this and what I said earlier about Samsung sacrificing quality/durability for marketecture/design.

The 27" is so flimsy and poorly braced, that it feels like I could torque it in my hands and snap it into little pieces.

With very light pressure the panel starts to warp and turn into a cloudy mess.

The one I have is decent on the BLB scale, and outside of a dead blue sub-pixel is generally uniform and very nice, but I could see a lot of returns related to the simple weakness of the assembly.

I'm inclined to agree with Albovin and reviews that the PLS screen's W-LED back-light is wide gamut in blues, and surprisingly, also in reds. Color calibration from factory is ok. Greys seem a tiny bit "brownish" to me.

Thanks for your addition.
I believe testing/reviewing of the new Samsung SA850 family of 24" and 27" models (with some more info from here - take facts, skip "findings") is now complete.

Until the new revisions with better color rendering come out?

Back