Samsung SA850 on PLS 24" - Test and Review (what you have been waiting for)

I haven't calibrated it yet, so I can't really talk about the color accuracy.

If you and I noticed the same things, then I guess that just reinforces the observations. With such a small sample pool so far, it's hard to know what is unique to a given specimen and what can be generalized across the line.

Until my wife relinquishes the monitor to me for further evaluation, this is the best I can do. The backlight uniformity test in darkness will be the defining moment.

It's not necessary to calibrate it to see issues.
Calibration won't help if a visible issue is present.
What you need is a second monitor.
Thank you.

Well, the sky seems a bit purple with out-of-the-box color settings. The only changes I have made for the moment are Brightness:35 and Contrast:48. I may need modify those a bit depending on the amount of ambient light.

I do notice some backlight bleed, mostly on the bottom to the right of center. There is also a small amount in a few other places. It does not seem noticeable during generic use, but would almost definitely cause a problem if watching movies with dark scenes.Backlight settings have no real effect on this.

I am going to have to play around some more and think about what I will do.

I've ordered a new i1 Display Pro to calibrate; unfortunately I won't be able to use it until Friday.

In the meantime, I have noticed that the temperature seems a bit cool (maybe the LED backlight?). I'm also beginning to wonder if I might be happier with a tighter dot pitch (this is no fault of the monitor, of course - I knew the dp when I purchased it). My wife doesn't want to use anything larger, though, so a higher resolution is out of the question.

I briefly engaged the MagicColor feature, which seemed like torch mode. That didn't last long. I am also trying out the ambient light sensor.

@albovin, can you tell me how you calibrated yours? Did yours seem cold? I belive you had the 27", so thee may very well be some differences, but I am also curious what brightness/contrast values you arrived at.

Overall, I think I am still happy with it, but the backlight bleed is a bit much and I am still feeling the inner stirrings for the NEC. If I cannot get the color to my liking, I will get the PA241W-BK with the Spectraview (or possibly the new P241W-BK if it is released soon and the reviews are good).

I should add that my wife is not nearly as picky as I am, and she loves the monitor. I truly think most people would. FWIW, I would definitely pick this monitor over the current crop of comparable HP's or Dells.

Last edited:
Also, while the blacks aren't equal to my older PVA monitor (which is like staring into the soul of Azathoth), they are quite good.

The backlight bleed seems to be much less than that of conscript's monitor, based upon the pictures he posted.

Nice review. Is the coating less sparkly then TN coating? You think the 27 will have that low input lag too?

Initial Impressions:
- Screen cannot be lowered past 3.5 inches above the stand.
- I cannot say for certain without calibration, but it looks like blues have a bit too much "zing"
Did the backlight improve over the past few days?
Maybe the blue "zing" is from the LEDs being too blue iso (instead of) white?
Can the stand be taken apart and the top plastic part shorten with a hack saw to lower it?

Will the 27in model have better color because it is 8 bits iso 6 bits?

Can you please take a picture of the backlight bleed?

^^^

The backlight situation has not improved, but it has not been visible in anything other than a pure black background with zero ambient light.

It seems to me that the slight blue tint is likely due to the white LED backlight, as it is reminiscent of what I have seen on some LED TN panels. Fortunately, it was resolved after calibration, so it's a non-issue.

Unfortunately, the way that the base screws into the bottom of the neck means that I do not readily see any way to shorten the stand. This probably will not be an issue for most people, but it could be a real problem for others.

I am going to do some further calibration over the weekend, and I will post the Delta-E results. I will also take a backlight picture, most likely with Sonwdog's camera settings.

I will say that I am liking this monitor enough to consider purchasing the 27" version for myself. I don't care for 16:9 aspect ratio, but I guess at 2560 x 1440 resolution it would be OK.

^^^

The backlight situation has not improved, but it has not been visible in anything other than a pure black background with zero ambient light.

It seems to me that the slight blue tint is likely due to the white LED backlight, as it is reminiscent of what I have seen on some LED TN panels. Fortunately, it was resolved after calibration, so it's a non-issue.

Unfortunately, the way that the base screws into the bottom of the neck means that I do not readily see any way to shorten the stand. This probably will not be an issue for most people, but it could be a real problem for others.

I am going to do some further calibration over the weekend, and I will post the Delta-E results. I will also take a backlight picture, most likely with Sonwdog's camera settings.

I will say that I am liking this monitor enough to consider purchasing the 27" version for myself. I don't care for 16:9 aspect ratio, but I guess at 2560 x 1440 resolution it would be OK.

It's tough to decide between one 27" or two 24" for the same approximate price. I agree that 16x9 isn't ideal. However the 27" is the same height as the 24" and also packs in 20% more vertical pixels.

It's tough to decide between one 27" or two 24" for the same approximate price. I agree that 16x9 isn't ideal. However the 27" is the same height as the 24" and also packs in 20% more vertical pixels.

Since 2560x1440 is higher than 1920x1200, 16:9 aspect ration is not an issue any more.

I like my wife's 24" enough that I just ordered the 27" for myself. It will be here tomorrow.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the backlight bleed will not be excessive.

@albovin

The 27" arrived and I have it hooked up now.

I'll do some color comparison (especially with the blues) tomorrow, but I am happy to report that there is no backlight bleed.

Explain "no backlight bleed". I've yet to see a S27A850D without some degree of bleed. Where did you purchase it from?

@albovin

I'll do some color comparison (especially with the blues) tomorrow, but I am happy to report that there is no backlight bleed.

Good!
But color space mismatch is a more serious question.

Take a picture of the Samsung in it's best default mode+calibrated vs the NEC so you can prove it is actually a noticeable problem.

Explain "no backlight bleed". I've yet to see a S27A850D without some degree of bleed. Where did you purchase it from?

No backlight bleed = no backlight bleed.

I was surprised, but pleasantly so. The 24" does have a bit near the bottom right corner.

@albovin

The 16x10 area of your 27" monitor is 2300x1440 pixels vs 1920x1200 on the 24" monitor. Do images look sharper given the 43% more pixels in this area?

I'm trying to decide between one 27" and two 24" for the same price. I would be doing photography work on it so high pixel density has appeal.

I am historically accustomed to working on 1920x1200 or 1600x1200 in a dual monitor configuration. I love my wife's 24" SA850, and considered buying two of them for myself. Instead, I hesitantly purchased the 27" SA850. I can assure you, it was the right decision.

One does have to allow a brief period to acclimate oneself to the smaller text, but I have not needed to increase the PPI settings or use the Windows zoom features. The clarity and extra workspace are fantastic. I could easily work with a 24" 1920x1200, but the 27" is definitely here to stay.

Yes, images look sharper because the pixels are more tightly packed. Text, while a little smaller, is also sharper.

24" dp = .270mm
27" dp = .233mm

Last edited:
I woludn't mind some extra resolution but 0.233 is unbearable for me.
24" 1920x1200 is a golden standard and it fortunately fits all my needs pretty well.

I woludn't mind some extra resolution but 0.233 is unbearable for me.
24" 1920x1200 is a golden standard and it fortunately fits all my needs pretty well.

I agree. With current UIs really only working optimally at default settings 0.23 is too small a pitch at my viewing distance (2-3 feet). It would be fine for a laptop,but not a desktop monitor for me.

Now a .27mm pitch 2560x1440 monitor, that I would be interested in.

I agree. With current UIs really only working optimally at default settings 0.23 is too small a pitch at my viewing distance (2-3 feet). It would be fine for a laptop,but not a desktop monitor for me.

Now a .27mm pitch 2560x1440 monitor, that I would be interested in.

I think a compromise like .25 would be ideal.

I think a compromise like .25 would be ideal.

It will depend on the person, but I had a 30" .25 mm pitch panel and I found it somewhat small, especially with a bigger monitor, which is more comfortable sitting further away.

A 31" 16:9 2560x1440 would give you about .27. Perfect IMO.

@albovin

Here are the Delta E results after a quick calibration with the i1 Display Pro using a medium patch set and native white point.

EDIT: Image removed, see update below. Calibrating with a large patch offered a slight improvement.

Last edited:
Do you have a ps3 or something similar to hook up to your 24" to see if it scales properly or not?

OK, here are the Delta E results from a calibration with the i1Display Pro using a LARGE patch set and native white point.

The details in the gray box refer to the Turquoise patch selected in red. It shows the most variance.

Note that this is for the 27" inch and technically belongs in the S27A850D thread.

delta-e.jpg

Last edited:
It will depend on the person, but I had a 30" .25 mm pitch panel and I found it somewhat small, especially with a bigger monitor, which is more comfortable sitting further away.

A 31" 16:9 2560x1440 would give you about .27. Perfect IMO.

I use 150% normal size in DPI setting on 30".

How obvious is this color problem? Is it only something that you would notice side-by-side with a perfect SRGB monitor or is it totally in your face?

Back