Samsung S27D850T (1440p S-PLS) & S32D850T (1440p A-MVA)

NCX

Supreme [H]ardness
I will update this thread with reviews when they come out

NCX's Samsung S27D850T Review
Trusted Reviews Samsung S32D850T Review
PRADs Samsung S32D850T Review

Official Press Release

PC Monitors Article

The 32" uses an A-MVA panel like the Acer B326HUL and BenQ BL3200PT ([H] Thread) which use A-MVA panels.

The S27D850T is only PWM Free down to 30% brightness=172cdm/2 and the S32D850T is as well, but PRAD measured 135.7cdm/2 @30% brightness, which is far too bright for dark room use.

S27D850T Product Page
S32D850T Product Page

Last edited:
If it is glow-free, and is set at a competitive price vs the BL2710PT and Q2770QPU assuming it is meant to compete with those monitors, I am so in.

Finally announce of samsung displays that make sense to buy (trolling on TN 24-28" 4K ones).

I was just about to buy a BL3200PT. I wonder how long it will take for this to come out...

From past experience, though, I wouldn't be surprised if the Samsung was ~$1000 in comparison to the BenQ's $700.

Interesting monitor, I'm still waiting to buy the BL3200pt in Italy, but if Benq don't make it avaiable here too soon, and before the Samsung 32'', they could lose a costumer...

The 32 is available now from a variety of 3rd party sellers on Egg and Jungle sites.

$860-ish

Also available as a preorder at MacMall for $715-ish (if memory serves)

Last edited:
Is this the same thing as the 32" listed in this thread? The model # is different but I don't know of any other Samsung 32" 1440p.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Is this the same thing as the 32" listed in this thread? The model # is different but I don't know of any other Samsung 32" 1440p.

Yes. See the item details. Correct model number.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Going to give this a try as soon as amazon gets it in. I really hope the uniformity is better than the BenQ 32.

Going to give this a try as soon as amazon gets it in. I really hope the uniformity is better than the BenQ 32.

Isn't uniformity a consequence of the panel itself? (which is identical to the BenQ)

But I would appreciate a comparison to the BenQ, as I don't know of any website that will be reviewing the Samsung as of yet. So far all the listings on Amazon are from South Korea.

My hope is more on the line of quality control. I doubt all the Benq monitors were as bad as mine was. I've had good luck with Samsung monitors in the past.

Isn't uniformity a consequence of the panel itself? (which is identical to the BenQ)

But I would appreciate a comparison to the BenQ, as I don't know of any website that will be reviewing the Samsung as of yet. So far all the listings on Amazon are from South Korea.

Here is a Korean video review.

I'm curious what current BenQ owners think, though there's not much of substance in the review (unless you speak Korean, I guess)

looks nice, but also looks expensive

Yeah, the brushed metal stand makes me feel like the thing will be ~$1000 rather than ~$700 like the BenQ. If it doesn't have any of the latter's uniformity issues, though, it may be worth it.

I can't find a Benq BL3200pt to buy in Italy, but I could buy a Samsung S32D850T.
The only thing that concern me is overdrive settings, I know in the Acer B326HUL has not adjustable overdrive, and it shows strong overshot like the BL3200pt with overdrive "AMA premium" setting.
But the BenQ have adjustable overdrive and with "AMA High" the image quality is much better.
Anyone know if the Samsung displays usually have adjustable overdrive or not?

Samsung's have 3 overdrive settings: Normal, Faster (Default) and Fastest (introduces overshoot ghosting).

I can't find a Benq BL3200pt to buy in Italy, but I could buy a Samsung S32D850T.
The only thing that concern me is overdrive settings, I know in the Acer B326HUL has not adjustable overdrive, and it shows strong overshot like the BL3200pt with overdrive "AMA premium" setting.
But the BenQ have adjustable overdrive and with "AMA High" the image quality is much better.
Anyone know if the Samsung displays usually have adjustable overdrive or not?

If you end up picking up the Samsung, I would appreciate your thoughts on it.

Looks like it's finally on Samsung's US page. No current retailers yet.

MSRP ($700) seems to be the same as the BenQ. I hope that doesn't mean the issues are identical too...

^ Looks very nice.

While you're testing it, please pay particular attention to the banding issue that some of the BenQ models had. Someone on that thread mentioned that people had complained about Samsung having the same problem.

Unfortunately I have to confirm that the Samsung shows the same banding issue. :(

At least you can see it only in some gray scale shades.
Color uniformity seems good:

Black level is not bad, but I expected better from a VA panel, and backlight bleed is noticeable in corners:

I don't notice input lag, maybe my old TN display (Samsung 2494hs) was not very fast too, but it seems a little faster only in some photos.

Overshot level is very good, almost unnoticeable in "faster" Overdrive setting:

Like the Benq, with "fastest" setting the overshot is much stronger:

There is also a "Game Mode" function in OSD which I did not understand what is it for, his activation will raise contrast and saturation to the max with a really bad color rendition.

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback! Thats unfortunate regarding the banding. Is it noticeable in real-world usage at all? (Web browsing, movies, games, etc.)

The backlight bleed seems worse than the BenQ, though that differs from one individual unit to another.

Also, I assume the Game Mode would improve the motion performance at the cost of color/contrast.

Could you check what "screen fit" does with a 1080/720 signal? On Samsung TVs I believe it only serves to prevent overscan, but for a 1440 monitor I wonder if it simply prevents overscan or if it actually allows 1:1 mapping of non-native resolutions.

You might have to change the input to "av mode" first, but I'm not sure exactly where to do that.

There is an option "PC/AV Mode" in OSD, screen fit in 1080p/720p is perfect if you set the default PC mode, but in AV mode it overscan a little (the taskbar will be partially hidden)

I'm really impressed from the scaler, it's really good and in 1920x1080 it almost seems to work on a native 1080p display!
If I set to use the nVidia GPU scaler instead the monitor one, the result is much worse, the opposite of my previous monitor where the scaler (if any) was really bad.

You can also map a lower resolution 1:1 using the PiP feature (i don't know if there is another way to do it, besides set it in the GPU driver)
This is my PC desktop (set in 1080p), with my 720p PS3 on the PiP windows. (the main screen is not at native resolution, but the PiP window yes)

I tried the monitor for several hours, and until now I noticed the vertical band issue only playing GTA5 when the sky was cloudy.

My 3m (9,84 ft) long DVI cable shows artifacts in 1440p, but my 3m HDMI monster cable works fine.
I want to buy a 3m long DP cable, maybe it could have the same problems of my DVI cable?
I read that DP cables offers full bandwith only up to 2m length.

Last edited:
To be clear, I'm referring to a specific setting called "screen fit", like how many TVs have a "just scan" option. It should be able to fix the overscan problems with AV mode, but I don't know if it will lead to a 1:1 mapping in the center of the display or not.

That's a page from the Samsung manual that I found online, but again I don't really know how to navigate to that because my experience with Samsung displays is limited to TV models from over five years ago with very different menu layouts.

PIP looks very good at 720p. Could help with watching a game while working on other stuff. Would have been nice to have PIP two months ago, but I'm still using a featureless Dell u2713hm as my primary monitor.

Last edited:
I get that "screen fit" and "just scan" are the same thing, but what I'm wondering about is what that does exactly with a 1080 or 720 signal on a 1440 display.

Does it still fill the entire display (meaning scaling the image up to 1440, with no overscan) or does it result in some black borders all around?

Screen fit scales the image to full screen w/o overscan, it can't upscale to 1440p.

Maybe this is just semantics, but I thought scaling any lower resolution image up to fit a higher resolution display constituted upscaling.

Is there some other terminology that I'm not understanding correctly?

I've been following the 27 inch pls version of this panel. Does anyone have any experience with it. I'm wondering how it compares to other pls in terms of input lag and blur. I'm currently on a vs2770.

Back