Samsung S27C750P Review: 1920x1080 72hz Semi Glossy A-MVA

I had this monitor for 2 months and I love it. I actually can put my speakers right underneath the large gap the stand creates.

After experimenting a liitle here's my findings

1.For those who prefer hdmi low (after the patch) set gamma to level 1
2.For those who prefer hdmi normal (after the patch) set gamma to level 3

Neither option will give you crushed blacks. Option 1 looks best i believe though.

Cheers

Last edited:
Apparently this monitor doesn't have a VESA mount so you can't use third party stands, deal breaker.

Nice review, S27C750P sounds great (now i'm more confused which one to get).
Personally i was hoping to read some more on S27C750P vs VP2770 info (there're only a couple references, regarding uniformity & temperature) since i've read your review/posts about the latter and know how you feel about VP2770. I'd be very interested in your opinion, you think there is such a great difference worth investing the extra $$$ on VP2770, costs almost double the money (regarding text clarity, ease on the eyes, working M$ suite, not gaming/movies!).
Thnx again.

PS. my laptop has only displayport/VGA. I shouldn't expect any signal loss (since it's digital) with a Displayport->HDMI adapter, right ?

Last edited:
1.) S27C750P vs VP2770

2.) PS. my laptop has only displayport/VGA. I shouldn't expect any signal loss (since it's digital) with a Displayport->HDMI adapter, right ?

1.) The Viewsonic is much better unless you intend on using your display in the dark frequently. The Samsung's only advantage is its deeper black levels. I did not compare them because the Viewsonic costs 2-3x more & is a 1440p monitor, it's marketed towards a different audience.

1440p text is always sharper unless there are sharpness issues & the higher res provides much more screen real estate. For MS Suite use the VP2770 will be far superior

2.) HDMI adapters are single link, the max res will be 1920x1080/1200, will have to use displayport>displayport to get 2560x1440. There's no difference between dual-link dvi & displayport image quality wise.

Last edited:
NCX, is the 27xi really better than this monitor?

I bought the 27bw recently (same as 27xi, but in black), and it's nice but I find it a bit cheap. Not that you'd need to touch the monitor, but it flexes if I do on the left side. The screen goes inward.

I'm wondering if this Samsung be a step up in quality, but I see you recommended the xi over this. It would cost me $70 more to go with the S27C750P

The xi=silver bw

The HP's will have better colors, viewing angles and less ghosting but worse blacks. IMO the xi is hideous, I'd pick the 27BW over the 750P & xi.

Thanks.

I got the 27bw, and it is great. Was just worried about the flex, but it should be ok.

This one looks like a better option for light and PWM sensitive individuals (usually goes hand in hand). Dims down to 10% of max brightness in this review: http://www.overclockers.ru/lab/5538...i_testirovanie_monitora_Samsung_S27C750P.html
While the BenQ GW2760HS only does about 25% of max.

To keep beating a dead horse: With such a large monitor surface one dont want it that high up. Unless one sit very close to it. Which one dont want to do either, due to the fairly low DPI on this one. I dont know what the hell Samsung was thinking. They could at least have made some option, like a two piece arm, to alter the stand statically or something. Dumbass esthetic designers are killing of the practically talented designers in this world, it seems.

From another thread about this monitor :D
s27c750-2.jpg

I may have to pick up another one of these before they're discontinued. It seems to be the best VA panel, and I want nothing to do with IPS.

Hehe. I'm all for custom ugly mods but thats a bit too impractical for my taste. I'd probably make a stand from wood or something instead.

On the other hand I have been reading up a bit on monitor ergonomics and perhaps I could benefit from having my monitors higher positioned.
http://www.backexercisedoctor.com/journal/2010/3/2/neck-pain-and-monitor-height.html
I guess it depends on how high your desk is and how tall you are if this Samsung could work as is.

Just want to add that there is a review up on S24C750P now here:
http://www.svethardware.cz/recenze-samsung-s24c750p-necekane-odlisny/38413-5
It is, of course in, czech. Google translate works a little but one can get the essentials anyway. It looks like it has little worse colors than the 27" model but the rest seems similar. It is indeed PWM-free.
One big plus in my book is that it is much less bright at 273 cdm2 max and 33 cdm2 min.
Its a little more than 2 inches lower than the 27" so still pretty high compared to other monitors.

Bonus: Page 5 contains a very detailed macro photo so that you can really see what the pixel matrix looks like.

Last edited:
can anyone tell me the difference between S27C750P and S27C750PS?

S27C750PS seens to be PLS panel, not A-MVA

NCX -- regarding your HDMI settings. You say HDMI Black Levels should be set to Low with a Nvidia GPU, yet after applying the full-range patch and setting to HDMI low, my blacks are completely crushed. In comparison to "normal", the blackest black does appear blacker and the white white is brighter, but detail is lost.

Once patched the setting was grayed out on mine, if it isn't use Normal sine Low will crush the blacks.

The xi=silver bw

The HP's will have better colors, viewing angles and less ghosting but worse blacks. IMO the xi is hideous, I'd pick the 27BW over the 750P & xi.

Hi NCX,

I'm thinking on buying a S27C750P based on your review, since it will be used mainly for gaming/movies/browsing web. The VN279QLB is not an option for me since it will cost much more in Portugal and to be honest I was a bit afraid of the electronic noise/dust/backlight.

However, I was a little bit surprised to see you recomend the HPs over the Sammy, in this post. Would a 27bw/27xi overclock to 72-75Hz as well? Is their response time better for gaming? When you say better colors... it will apparent naked eye? In the CNET review they only got a 591:1 contrast rate for a 27xi which I think is awful compared to a S27C750P @@ http://reviews.cnet.com/lcd-monitors/hp-pavilion-27xi/4505-3174_7-35603096-2.html

Also I've read somewhere that the 27bw/27xi shares the same Dell S2740L panel, is it?

Last edited:
Don't know if the HP's can overclock but the pixel response times are definitely faster, though all of HP's 27" 1080p IPS use LED PWM Dimming (Read about the Side Effects). The color difference will be apparent and the contrast ratio should be around 1000:1 (the 27Xi & Envy's reviewed by =DEAD= & PRAD all had 1000:1 contrast ratios).

It doesn't matter if monitors use the same panel since manufacturers customize them.

well, in my country the HP 27xi/bw is cheaper than the Sammy S27C750P... grrr... but don't know what to choose :(

I'm really afraid of IPS glowing, PWM, 1/3 of the samsung contrast etc but if you say it's a better monitor... do you think that for my usage it will be the best choice?

I've found another review indicating only 580:1 for the 27xi, that's really weird no? www.digitaltrends.com/monitor-reviews/hp-27xi-review/#/6

Last edited:
Michaelius, the Benq will cost the same as the Sammy, so I would prefer the samsung over it (even having the higher stand, which for my pc setting is also better)

My dilemma is only the HP 27xi VS Samsung S27C750P, there are the only options in my country (the HP is almost the same price, only less $15)

Michaelius, the Benq will cost the same as the Sammy, so I would prefer the samsung over it (even having the higher stand, which for my pc setting is also better)

Really? It's 20% cheaper in Poland :D

My dilemma is only the HP 27xi VS Samsung S27C750P, there are the only options in my country (the HP is almost the same price, only less $15)

I would pick the Samsung over the HP out of fear of getting one with poor contrast, especially if you can't buy monitors from stores with hassle free return & exchange policies. The same IPS panels often have large contrast variations due to LG's (they make IPS) lack of quality control.

What about the Dell P or U2414H (Check out TFT Central's reviews), Asus PB248Q, BenQ BL2411PT or Eizo EV2336 (especially this one since it is semi-glossy and really fast)?

Hi NCX,

Thanks for the reply... I was only considering the 27xi based on your comments and because it is 100% glossy, which I enjoy the most (I have a HP w2207h - AU Optronics panel btw - and is now time to upgrade)

I am only interested in a 27'' 1920x1080 glossy/semi-glossy panel, so I think my options pretty much are the A-MVA+ s27c750p or a IPS like the HP 27xi. What about 100% glossy A-MVA+, any model?

Last edited:
Only Eizo sells a glossy, VA panel and it's a 23" touch screen which costs 1000$+. You should consider the smaller models since they are sharper (higher ppi) and models like the EV2336 will have much better colors and response times (PRAD has a review).

Regarding the 24" version of this, can it be underclocked to 60hz? I've had problems with screen tearing for ages due to having a 120hz monitor and a 60hz TV connected to the same video card, their images mirrored. I never found a permanent solution for this, attempting to force 60hz on the 120hz monitor didn't help, and only with openGL applications where v sync could be forced through my video card's software was I able to eliminate screen tearing.

These are native 60hz monitors, no need to under clock. When cloned, the second monitor will always tear regardless of the hz.

These are native 60hz monitors, no need to under clock. When cloned, the second monitor will always tear regardless of the hz.

It says the Samsung is 75hz. And why would screen tearing occur on one of them if they're both displaying content at less than 60 FPS?

Did you read the review? It can overclock to 72hz (the unit I tested OC'd up to 77hz without custom timings, might OC higher with custom timings). I put 72hz in the title for "marketing," reasons.

When cloned the 2nd display always tears, it might not if the resolution timing frequencies are identical. Why clone the monitors anyway? It's 100% pointless except when comparing display lag in games.

Did you read the review? It can overclock to 72hz (the unit I tested OC'd up to 77hz without custom timings, might OC higher with custom timings). I put 72hz in the title for "marketing," reasons.

When cloned the 2nd display always tears, it might not if the resolution timing frequencies are identical. Why clone the monitors anyway? It's 100% pointless except when comparing display lag in games.

Yes, I did read the review, but I'm not as familiar with monitor tech speak as you are, I don't know what to make of your results of overclocking the monitor's refresh rate, it doesn't tell me what its native refresh rate is. I can't even find it on Samsung's own website!

What are resolution timing frequencies? Regarding screen tearing, I was under the impression that it is caused by the differing refresh rates of my cloned monitors. I have them cloned because sometimes I watch movies, browse, whatever in my bed with my TV, other times I use my monitor at my desk. It's just a matter of convenience.
I really have no idea what is causing screen tearing on one or the other. Only turning off (not just standby) one of the displays removes screen tearing from the one that is on.

Guess I naively assume that those who read/watch my reviews are relatively well versed in terms of monitor knowledge since my reviews are typically found on the second & third pages of Google searches. My review title is definitely misleading for those who don't know that unless specified, all monitors have 60hz refresh rates. Cloning is still pointless since you can avoid the tearing by enabling Windows Aero if your video playback software doesn't have Vsync setting and by setting the TV as the primary display or extend the desktop to it.

I use Power DVD for blu-rays & dvd's which is free from tearing even when Aero is disabled & Splash Pro for other stuff which tears occasionally with Aero disabled.

To match displays resolution timing frequencies refer to Step 4 from my Nvidia OC guide and under Timing set the Standard to manual and match the Front Porch, Sync Width, ect, then match them with CRU as well to ensure games use the desired hz. Have to Google AMD OC instructions.

Last edited:
Wow, you were right, simply switching to the Aero theme caused all screen tearing issues to go away. I wish I'd known sooner, but thanks nonetheless.

Does anyone know what the native bit-depth of this panel is?

Back