Samsung S27C750P Review: 1920x1080 72hz Semi Glossy A-MVA

I am between this one and the Dell S2740L. Some pictures i saw in ncx's review are kind of putting me off this one. Too much black crush? Especially the head-on ones.

Even with the black crush contrast is better (I think) on this sort of VA than any IPS. With IPS glow and weaker static contrast I prefer the contrast of VAs regardless of any crush.

I am between this one and the Dell S2740L. Some pictures i saw in ncx's review are kind of putting me off this one. Too much black crush? Especially the head-on ones.

The S2740L has grayish blacks, is extremely reflective and has obvious overshoot ghosting.

Edge-to-Edge Glass vs. Glossy
http://www.flickr.com/photos/97364704@N08/9013246753/sizes/o/in/photostream/

If you want a glossy monitor get the HP Envy or ugly 27Xi

http://www.overclockers.ru/lab/5392...Obzor_i_testirovanie_monitora_HP_Envy_27.html

Black crush is hard to capture without exaggerating the effect

Just picked this up at Best Buy. This monitor is PHENOMENAL. Never could I have imagined how awesome 1920 can be at 27".

The stand is indeed just a bit too high. Luckily, I have a desk with two supports that would allow me to just lean the monitor up against them and forego the stand.

NCX, is the gamma boosted in your ICC profile? I was going crazy trying to get my Nvidia card to output 0-255, when I eventually realized it was the profile that was making blacks grayish.

Always use 2.2 gamma. I calibrated it after doing the NCP 0-255 patch, so maybe there is a difference between the patch and using HDMI black level low.

It shouldn't need an ICC profile if it is like mine since the gamma was close to perfect out of the box, the RGB tweaks should be sufficient.

Is it normal for the HDMI black level option to be inaccessible when the monitor is being run at 72hz?

Is it normal for the HDMI black level option to be inaccessible when the monitor is being run at 72hz?

Yes. If you set a custom resolution it fixes up the colour signal doesn't it? So it will be like HDMI black low is on.

NCX, can you talk a bit about how this monitor compares to the Samsung f2380mx? The colors and contrast were so delicious out of the box that I never forgot this monitor but ultimately I brought it back because of the unbearable ghosting. Is the ghosting really noticeable on the S27C750P?

I'm pretty satisfied with my TN panel but was looking to upgrade to a larger size for some console gaming goodness. How much of a negative would you say the non-adjustable stand is? The monitor is on sale today at futureshop and was thinking about giving it a try.

I'm currently debating between this monitor and the Asus VS278Q-P for a console only gaming monitor.

my question would be how big of a difference is the glow effect compared to IPS panels? I have gone through 3 IPS panels now and returned them all because I cant stand the glow on them, Would I have a problem with VA panel glow as well?

If you set the HDMI black level to low after the Nvidia 0-255 tweak, are you supposed to get crushed blacks? I'm actually pretty impressed with the saturated colors and deep blacks in the low setting, but movies are unwatchable.

Compared to a fast TN the 750P's ghosting will be noticeable, but it is way faster than the F2380MX

The 750P's stand height was perfect for my desk.

VA panels have considerably less glow than IPS/PLS

http://wecravegamestoo.com/forums/m...20x1080-72hz-semi-glossy-mva.html#post1014149

That doesn't look to bad at all compared to an IPS screen, hardly looks noticeable when viewing it head on, when you say a fast TN panel, do you mean the 120/144hz panels and not the 60hz panels?

I ran through a couple of games but didn't notice any ghosting. Hardly any glow, no dead pixels, great black levels... I would check out the Samsung first.

That doesn't look to bad at all compared to an IPS screen, hardly looks noticeable when viewing it head on, when you say a fast TN panel, do you mean the 120/144hz panels and not the 60hz panels?

By fast TN I mean a 120-144hz monitor set to 60hz, such as the Samsung S23A700D/950D, Asus VG236H and Asus VG248QE.

VG248QE pixel response time measurements

http://www.prad.de/new/monitore/test/2013/test-asus-vg248qe-teil7.html#Reaktionsverhalten

This BenQ should be similar to the 750P. Notice the 16ms transition when the overdrive is off as well as the other fast transitions..
http://www.prad.de/new/monitore/test/2013/test-benq-gw2760hm-teil6.html#Reaktionsverhalten

This older BenQ VA would be similar to the MX
http://www.prad.de/new/monitore/test/2011/test-benq-ew2730v-teil8.html#Reaktionsverhalten

Last edited:
By fast TN I mean a 120-144hz monitor set to 60hz, such as the Samsung S23A700D/950D, Asus VG236H and Asus VG248QE.

VG248QE pixel response time measurements

http://www.prad.de/new/monitore/test/2013/test-asus-vg248qe-teil7.html#Reaktionsverhalten

This BenQ should be similar to the 750P. Notice the 16ms transition when the overdrive is off as well as the other fast transitions..
http://www.prad.de/new/monitore/test/2013/test-benq-gw2760hm-teil6.html#Reaktionsverhalten

This older BenQ VA would be similar to the MX
http://www.prad.de/new/monitore/test/2011/test-benq-ew2730v-teil8.html#Reaktionsverhalten

I don't see where the gw2760hm model is available for purchase in Canada. I have a futureshop about 5 minutes from my house that has the Samsung in stock so that makes it more tempting than ordering online.

The gw2750hm is available online everywhere from the looks of it, but is this Samsung monitor newer/better? I'm basically just hooking this up to my ps3/wiiu and ps4 when it comes out. I might use it temporarily on my pc but probably not. I read your review and if the Samsung works perfectly with ps3 that sounds good to me.

I used the BenQ HM as an example to give you an idea of how the 750P's pixel response times will stack up against a fast TN. The 750P has a better matte coating and is easier to buy+return, so go for it.

I am considering getting this monitor to replace a recently bought LG 27EA53V because this LG has a flickering issue that goes across the screen vertically. This problem goes away after I turn the monitor off for a few hours but this is unacceptable. My old TN Samsung Syncmaster 24" from 2007 has never let me down and this LG starts acting up within hours of use.

I've personally never had a good experience with any LG product, not just monitors but TVs and cell phones, they have all been bad.

My brother however has an LG 27ea43v or something, whatever the TN model is, and it seems to be pretty flawless, doesnt even have a trace of backlight bleed on it

I just setup the Samsung and I love the way the blacks look on the monitor. The stand is kinda high but it's not a deal breaker for me. I played a few games (Boarderlands 2 and Mechwarrior Online Beta) and they do look better than the LG to my eye. I had to pay more for the Samsung but so far I think it was worth it; I don't think I'll ever buy another LG product after this experience.

I just received my Spyder 4 Elite and things look even better. The only thing I had to adjust through the monitor was brightness, which I had to dial down to 23.

The black levels are awesome.

I am about to get one of these babies.
I will calibrate it with my EyeOne Pro 2 + i1Display Pro setup and report back my findings.

More A-MVA monitors is a good thing. I prefer the tech to IPS, so long as manufacturers remain cheap enough not to include A-TW polarizers.

I haven't run into any problems, but how do we know that this monitor can run at 72hz without any issues like minor artifacting or frameskipping? Or are those pretty obvious when seen?

Hey boys and girls I finally got my hands on this monitor! First the bad. THAT STAND! It's so obnoxious. I promise you one thing, whatever money samsung might have saved by not making it adjustable or vesa compatible they are losing it ten fold in the number of people returning this monitor. You literally have to strain your neck to look up as if you are in that dreaded first row in the movie theatre except that it's in your house 24/7 lol. Keep in mind that my desk is kind of high, 29.75 inches but still my eyesight was level with the top of my 23" monitor and with this one it's near the bottom.

Now the good. Everything NCX said is true. The blacks are great, no input lag and very minimal to non existent ghosting. Out of the box the color presets feel like you are putting a blowtorch to your eyes. I don't see how any of those settings are useable by a human being but using NCX's settings and I am once again impressed by his calibration numbers. Although I feel like this monitor is not as vibrant as my sammy f2380mx which I never forgot like that really hot girl you fall in love with at first sight.

I did some gaming last night and I was starting to really enjoy it and regretting it because of that stupid stand. I was ready to hacksaw that stand off and just use it as a sort of kickstand or something but then it came to me in a dream! I put the monitor in portrait mode and put it on it's side so now the monitor is in landscape but the stand is on the side. bahahaha! :D Unfortunately the buttons are on the bottom of the monitor so I need to find something to put under the monitor to raise it about an inch or so.

Questions for NCX:

1)What tools do you use for calibration? How much does it cost and where is a good place to get it in canada? You should make a tutorial video on how to calibrate a monitor. I think it would help a lot of people.

2) What is the ICC profile for again and do I need to use it or is just using your settings enough?

3) You mention putting the HDMI level to normal for AMD graphics cards but there is no option to select it in PC mode. Is that normal?

Cheers!

EDIT: I raised the monitor 3" and it's perfect now.

Last edited:
i'm interested with this monitor ,

compare to general AH-IPS the color is the same or not ?

this model allow to use custom shape in OSD or not ?

Is that friendly for our eye ?

I did some gaming last night and I was starting to really enjoy it and regretting it because of that stupid stand. I was ready to hacksaw that stand off and just use it as a sort of kickstand or something but then it came to me in a dream! I put the monitor in portrait mode and put it on it's side so now the monitor is in landscape but the stand is on the side. bahahaha! :D Unfortunately the buttons are on the bottom of the monitor so I need to find something to put under the monitor to raise it about an inch or so.

EDIT: I raised the monitor 3" and it's perfect now.

Very creative. :)

Do you have photos to share of both positions - unraised and the final 3" you went with?

Thanks,

I'll try and take a picture later but for now here is a representation I made in paint. I'm using a little blue box propped underneath the monitor. I thought at first it might be wobbly but the weight of the monitor and stand keeps it stable.

UW1OuUk.png

Does this use the same panel as the newer BenQ 2760?

I admit I don't get the stand, and I expect owners of this monitor don't either. It's like they made this monitor for showing in a store, rather than actually using.

Although I doubt it'll ever happen, I'd love for AUO to make a 16:10 version of this, boost color range a bit, and to see it with a proper stand and electronics from someone. It'd be like an improved S-PVA then... not quite sure why color coverage on AMVAs are actually worse than VAs from 6 years ago.

Not sure what you are talking about with response time. I play BF3, Skyrim, COD and all are fast I notice no ghosting or lag....

PRAD's Review is up for subscribers:

http://www.prad.de/new/monitore/test/2013/test-samsung-s27c750p-led.html#Einleitung

2.5ms signal delay and their pixel response time measurements also correspond with my subjective assessment: The Fastest response time setting reduces the pixel response times to IPS/PLS comparable response times but produces noticeable overshoot on some color transitions.

PRAD's unit had a 3,600:1 contrast ratio vs 4,800:1+ on the units PC Monitors & I reviewed. PRAD confirmed that the S27C750P does not use LED PWM Dimming.

Back