Samsung S27A950D 120Hz

Im currently playing Mass Effect 3 in 3D and wow, is incredible the inmersiveness and quality of the game, plus even in non 3D, the 120Hz smoothness is jaw dropping. I get the ocassional ghost like effect that lasts less than a second like every 3-10 minutes but I think is related to the glasse's battery.

anyone have any luck with getting the 3D to work with NVIDIA cards? I know this monitor supports AMD only. But having no luck getting the 3D to work with either the 2d-3d conversion of TriDef 3d software in Surround/Eyefinity.

Maybe these monitors don't support surround/eyefinity 3D?

AFAIK this monitor does support Eyefinity 3D, but regarding nVidia support is a bit flaky, as Tridef disables any nVidia 3D Vision software.

anyone have issues with these monitors not turning on/being recognized from Windows, and or turning off randomly?

Only having these monitors for a week or so its happened to me twice now. Wondering if I should return them or if its a common trait with these.:confused:

To everyone who owns this monitor would you suggest that it is a good monitor to buy?

I am in the market for a 23"-27" 120Hz monitor and I am debating on ordering this or not.

I DO NOT care about 3D, as I will mainly be using it for 120Hz 2D gaming.

The only real thing holding me back from placing my order is the issues I have heard about the backlight bleeding and why the 27inch version is only $50 dollars more than the 23 inch version. is the 23 inch version better?

To everyone who owns this monitor would you suggest that it is a good monitor to buy?

I am in the market for a 23"-27" 120Hz monitor and I am debating on ordering this or not.

I DO NOT care about 3D, as I will mainly be using it for 120Hz 2D gaming.

The only real thing holding me back from placing my order is the issues I have heard about the backlight bleeding and why the 27inch version is only $50 dollars more than the 23 inch version. is the 23 inch version better?

A couple of weeks have passed since I got mine and the monitor continues to impress me. In my case it was definitely worth it. I've been replaying some of my older games just to see how they look, etc. and I'm just in love with the way this monitor displays games. I played through a good portion of Assassin's Creed before realizing that, even though my desktop was running at 120Hz, the game was still set to 60Hz. :eek: I switched it to 120Hz in the options menu and the difference was amaaazing. So super fluid and smooth, and no tearing! Racing games are a joy too, and really benefit from the fast motion capability.

I'm lucky to have gotten a nearly perfect sample with very minimal bleeding in the lower right hand corner where the panel is connected to the stand. Much better than some pics I've seen. No dead/stuck pixel issues either, which I'm super happy about.

Where are you seeing that the price difference between the 23" & 27" versions is only $50? I thought it was significantly greater than that.

A couple of weeks have passed since I got mine and the monitor continues to impress me. In my case it was definitely worth it. I've been replaying some of my older games just to see how they look, etc. and I'm just in love with the way this monitor displays games. I played through a good portion of Assassin's Creed before realizing that, even though my desktop was running at 120Hz, the game was still set to 60Hz. :eek: I switched it to 120Hz in the options menu and the difference was amaaazing. So super fluid and smooth, and no tearing! Racing games are a joy too, and really benefit from the fast motion capability.

I'm lucky to have gotten a nearly perfect sample with very minimal bleeding in the lower right hand corner where the panel is connected to the stand. Much better than some pics I've seen. No dead/stuck pixel issues either, which I'm super happy about.

Where are you seeing that the price difference between the 23" & 27" versions is only $50? I thought it was significantly greater than that.

Thanks for the reply. Last time I looked on newegg the 23 inch was $549 and the 27 was $599. It seems to be like that at other places as well.

I am seriously considering purchasing this monitor, but keep running into things that make me think twice...

While the feedback in this thread is amazingly positive, all I see pretty much everywhere else on the web is how this panel is so prone to bad pixels and terrible quality control in the Mexican factory where these are supposedly made?!?

Why are these so hard to find? Newegg has it, but I'm on an Amazon Prime trial right now and was hoping to avoid tax and get "free" shipping on it. But there are only a few 3rd party sellers on Amazon selling it. My experience with 3rd party sellers on amazon has been less than good, and the last thing I'd want to take a chance on is a big buck item like this.

Old model? This monitor dates back to what, 2010? Is there a replacement coming out soon? I'd hate to buy one now and have it end up being like someone who paid $500 for a GTX580 a day before the Kepler launch.

I finally got GTX680 SLI and my end-game goal is to put that power to use with a 120hz panel.

I bought one of these refurbished from Amazon a few weeks ago. I was happy to not get any dead pixels, etc.

For the first week or so it worked flawlessly with the included Dual-link DVI cable. I wanted to be able to use it with my 2nd computer also, which only has DVI, so I got a Displayport cable to connect my main computer instead.

Since switching from Dual-link DVI to Displayport, my monitor now randomly loses signal from time to time. The screen will turn black and I get a box moving around the screen that says something like "Not optimal resolution, Optimum 1920x1080". But if I turn the monitor off and then back on, it comes back normally.

I thought I lucked out getting a refurbished monitor that didn't have any issues, but these displayport quirks are annoying.

My question is, is this displayport problem a known issue, or likely a quirk due to the monitor being refurbished? I guess I could go back to using DVI, maybe I can find a dual-link DVI KVM. The panel also has HDMI but IIRC that's only good for 60hz.

That was a pretty common problem experienced by owners of the 750D. Many thought it was related more to the characteristics of DisplayPort itself than the electronics in the monitor, but if that's true then it should be a common issue on any DP device and then using DP would be extremely aggravating. I didn't see many people having the issue with the 950D, but what you describe is exactly what the 750D guys were experiencing so I'm pretty sure it's not due to the fact that your monitor was refurbished. I've been using D-DVI since I got mine, with zero issues.

Since switching from Dual-link DVI to Displayport, my monitor now randomly loses signal from time to time. The screen will turn black and I get a box moving around the screen that says something like "Not optimal resolution, Optimum 1920x1080". But if I turn the monitor off and then back on, it comes back normally.

That was a pretty common problem experienced by owners of the 750D. Many thought it was related more to the characteristics of DisplayPort itself than the electronics in the monitor, but if that's true then it should be a common issue on any DP device and then using DP would be extremely aggravating. I didn't see many people having the issue with the 950D, but what you describe is exactly what the 750D guys were experiencing so I'm pretty sure it's not due to the fact that your monitor was refurbished. I've been using D-DVI since I got mine, with zero issues.

imyourzero is correct,

I am currently using a 750D & have been using it for over a year now. The DisplayPort issue has been annoying & is exactly as you describe. I just wish the 750D had the option of Dual Link DVI.

Otherwise, my screen is flawless, and I can put up with the few quirks.

I appreciate the responses, it's good to know that this issue isn't unique to my monitor. I'm really loving it otherwise.

So, if I wanted the best LCD monitor purely for gaming available atm, Samsung S27A950D or Asus VG278HE?

So, if I wanted the best LCD monitor purely for gaming available atm, Samsung S27A950D or Asus VG278HE?

I have owned both, now having the Samsung.

I hated the AG Coating on the Asus, and the Gamma/Contrast was way out for me, no mather what scenery mode i chose. The AG Coating gave the monitor a "Smeary Vaseline" effect on White or light backgrounds, and i returned the monitor because of this and the horrible gamma.

The Samsung is Glossy, and i like Glossy better, i have also owned VG278's littlebrother VG236 which also was glossy.

So i think it comes down to this;

2D or 3D, Anti Glare or Glossy?

For 2D the Samsung wins hands down, for 3D, its the Asus.

Colors/Gamma/Contrast is much better on the Samsung if you ask me.

Last edited:
Is there any new tutorials for 3d nvidia vision that work with latest drivers or does the trick only work with 29x?

Anyone buy this monitor refurbished? I was thinking about buying two more of these to have a three monitor gaming setup and was wondering if buying refurbished was worth the savings.

I also suffered from random black screen/dropouts using DP. DVI works 100% fine.

Still loving this monitor, especially for games but works very well for normal usage too. My U3011 has been sitting in the floor since I got the Samsung, lol. Will probably hook both up once I get my new desk together, but it's a credit to the A950 that I haven't had the urge to go back to the 30" IPS as my primary...I never thought I'd be as happy with anything else.

Same. I owned a U3011 for a short time alongside my 950D and every time I looked at the Dell the PQ was yuck compared to the 950D. All my future monitors will be clear, not AG.

Couple of questions.

Is it worth to calibrate this monitor with one of those calibration devices?

Has anyone experienced their colors getting really bright and washed out? I think this may be a Nvidia thing.

So is this still the best 27 "120hz monitor out there?

looking to get one beside my 30" for gaming and 120Hz

Last edited:
When i received my 950d i was shocked - precalibrated gamma settings in all the 3 mods were unacceptable and almost eye hurting. Group view thing didn't help as it crashes the black levels. Finally, after days of struggling with the settings i've managed to calibrate the gamma with the CLtest software, and still i feel like i need a hardware calibration tool (suggestions?).
Is it a common issue? I've never read anyone got 950d with the pq that bad.
Settings are:
brightness - 18
contrast - 50
Color tone - normal (50/50/50), rgb balance is fairly good.
Gamma - mode 1 (works better with the calibrated profile than mode 3)

Last edited:
yes I similarly have a 2560x1440 cinema display next to a 750D 120hz. I prob would have opted for one of the korean 2560x1440's instead of the ACD had that deal been around at the time but I had already owned my ACD a year before that korean outlet thing started to hit. Would have saved me some money at least. I did get my 750D on sale for $399 at the time though.

Last edited:
When i received my 950d i was shocked - precalibrated gamma settings in all the 3 mods were unacceptable and almost eye hurting. Group view thing didn't help as it crashes the black levels.
I've had exactly the same experience with my 23" 950D. In addition to the gamma being way off, it's also got terrible backlight bleed and uniformity issues plus it had a piss yellow tinge out of the box, just like the past 3 monitors I've used. I have to pump the blue channel way up to compensate. The display model in the store had its colors set close to 50/50/50, and it looked great. I think I got a bad monitor and I really should have returned it. Other than that, 120hz, the fast refresh rate, and low input lag are all great. It also looks a lot cleaner, what with it being glossy. Massive difference over my old 60hz monitor, I can't go back!

anyone have any luck with getting the 3D to work with NVIDIA cards? I know this monitor supports AMD only. But having no luck getting the 3D to work with either the 2d-3d conversion of TriDef 3d software in Surround/Eyefinity.

Maybe these monitors don't support surround/eyefinity 3D?

I got mine working on my 690 with TriDef but you have to set it up differently. You Will not get Frame Sequential with it though which is really depressing to me. Side my side just doesnt have the same POP to it like Frame Sequential does.

anyone have issues with these monitors not turning on/being recognized from Windows, and or turning off randomly?

Only having these monitors for a week or so its happened to me twice now. Wondering if I should return them or if its a common trait with these.:confused:

Actually yes. At first mine was just the not optimal resolution message, then after a while it started not seeing anything from the PC and I would have to power it down and back up to get it to work. I finally got fed up and decided to RMA it before it was out of warranty. I think the replacement ships back today, process went pretty smooth. But if I get it back and it is not fixed I am going to pitch a shit fit and demand a 950D so I can at least have Dual Link DVI and get past the DP issues. I have heard of others getting a 27" Model back even though they sent in a 23".... hope that is the case :)

Yep go for the 950D, I gained nothing using DP with this monitor, only headachs for months. If power and data were carried over the same cable and it was the size of a iphone data / charging cable then maybe it would be worth it.;

got mine back from RMA on friday hooked it up saturday and have been running it since, seems to be ok so far after multiple reboots. Have to test 3D out to see if it would crap out and give not optimum resolution message (quickest way for it to come up on me other than the waiting game)

I changed my old card for a msi 7970 ligthning and tomorrow i will receive the display port cable to run 120 with my 950d. Is 3d on this monitor really worth it, or is it just a marketing gimmick?

Honestly, the 3D on these is meh. You will get alot of crosstalk and ghosting in games that cannot be fixed (it was rumored to be the glasses as the culprit but no one really confirmed 100%) Also, AMD currently is awful with 3d performance. I was trying to play Spec Ops the Line in 3d with my setup (7970x2) and could not sustain a framerate above 40, and even at 40fps, it was very laggy and choppy. Side scrolling games like Trine 2 look pretty good in 3d though.

I loved my samsung s27a950d. But I am wondering if the catleap 27" 1440p monitor is the way to go now.

What do you s27a950 owners think? Is 1440p the way to go?

I loved my samsung s27a950d. But I am wondering if the catleap 27" 1440p monitor is the way to go now.

What do you s27a950 owners think? Is 1440p the way to go?

Went from a s27a950d to a Crossover Q27.
Haven't looked back.

JayJapan, any noticable motion blur with the crossover vs the samsung?

Being that it is an IPS I figure you will have more blur when playing FPS games.

JayJapan, any noticable motion blur with the crossover vs the samsung?

Being that it is an IPS I figure you will have more blur when playing FPS games.

Yeah, maybe a little.
Didn't really perceive much of a change in blur. More in the overall responsiveness.
It doesn't feel quite as fast of as smooth but you get used to that.

Some reckon use the 120hz for online gaming and the ips for everything else but I personally prefer just having one display or possibly 2 identical ones for an actual dual monitor setup.

If you are a professional FPS player (or just like to blame loosing on your computer :p ) keep the samsung.

Edit: Also games scale better with resolutions higher than 1080 rather than frame rates higher than 60. Unless you have a very fast cpu

Honestly, the 3D on these is meh. You will get alot of crosstalk and ghosting in games that cannot be fixed (it was rumored to be the glasses as the culprit but no one really confirmed 100%) Also, AMD currently is awful with 3d performance. I was trying to play Spec Ops the Line in 3d with my setup (7970x2) and could not sustain a framerate above 40, and even at 40fps, it was very laggy and choppy. Side scrolling games like Trine 2 look pretty good in 3d though.

I know this is a bit old, but I've never experienced ghosting except in some dark games like Doom 3, and it is very hard to pin point. I heard that the culprit are the glasses used. I use the Samsung 3D Glasses SSG-M3050GB and I heard that the first models of the SA27950D came with the Samsung SSG-3100GB which made the image noticeable darker with ghosting issues. Mine came with the SSG-M3050GB and look and feel fantastic, the 3D is very eye popping and it is easier for my eyes than passive 3D.

Back