Samsung S27A850D or Eizo FS2331 for gaming?

Murzilka

[H]ard|Gawd
They are the same price at where I live, so which one would you choose for gaming purposes? Talking about games, like BF3,Skyrim, Dead Island.

GPU power is not something to worry about - I have 480gtx triple sli setup at my disposal, any time :cool:
(I have narrowed my choices of displays down to those two)

Also, I heard, quite briskly though, that there would be some PLS update or something like that in march?

thanx in advance for your opinion on which monitor to choose.

The Eizo will have better image quality, less input lag and be glow free while the Samsung is bigger, has more pixel real estate and has better motion and a nicer bezel. In theory PLS/IPS displays have better viewing angles but really they don't since like TN panels they need to be positioned at that perfect height+distance to avoid IPS/PLS glow.

Samsung will have some higher priced 27" 1440p displays coming out in March but they still won't have nearly as deep blacks as the Eizo since it uses a C-PVA panel. Most of Samsung's 2011 releases were delayed by 3 months so I doubt their new PLS displays will be widely available until the Summer.

The Eizo will have better image quality, less input lag and be glow free while the Samsung is bigger, has more pixel real estate and has better motion and a nicer bezel. In theory PLS/IPS displays have better viewing angles but really they don't since like TN panels they need to be positioned at that perfect height+distance to avoid IPS/PLS glow.

Samsung will have some higher priced 27" 1440p displays coming out in March but they still won't have nearly as deep blacks as the Eizo since it uses a C-PVA panel. Most of Samsung's 2011 releases were delayed by 3 months so I doubt their new PLS displays will be widely available until the Summer.

Yes that's right. But is 2560 1440 worth the sacrifice of the black level and some of the responsiveness?.... That is the question. Personally I am almost ready to order the eizo today, but still cant get off teh fence completely because of the 2560x1440.

Thanx on the March clarification -) I wouldn't wait till March, what to say about waiting for the summer :cool:

1440p is nice for desktop use (programming, school work, multi-tasking) but it makes no difference for gaming except vs a 27" 1080p when viewed at <2ft since those have larger pixels. I have the Samsung S27A850D and Samsung F2380MX (C-PVA panel with sligjtly deeper blacks, wider viewing angles but slower response times due to the lack of over drive vs the FS2331) and the MX looks much better. The 850D series also suffers from minor black crush due to the higher gamma (around 2.4) and 18ms (1 frame) of input lag due to the resolution scaler.

I have to raise the PLS displays height and sit about 3ft back to avoid seeing corner glow while I can sit <2ft away from the F2380MX for that immersive in your face experience with no issues except for the response times. Which is worse PLS/IPS glow+minor input lag or ghosting? That is subjective but I find the glow and input lag more annoying. That said I retired the MX from my desk (next to my bed for movies) and use a 120hz TN for gaming as well as the PLS display for school work since the extra res is useful.

I could be wrong about Samsung delaying their displays, I was just guessing based on their recent track record.

Post #4 posted at 4:44 - nice :cool:

I decided to go with Eizo - ordered it and it will be here on Wednesday or maybe tomorrow evening, if I grab it myself. lol
I'll be on a lookout for some better offerings in 27" domain, though.

Still loving my Eizo. Clocked 108 hours on Skyrim with it :cool:

If you into modding, no chance you can run Skyrim much higher than 1080p and not get serious lags...

Love how movies look on it, the blacks are great for an LCD

Yeah I got it. Nice image quality and the blacks are perfect. Still tweaking though ) I think I need the Easy PIx set. lol

Actually the color reproduction is almost perfect with 0.8 deviation in DeltaE and that is without calibrating the display at all. Just selecting the 6500K preset (6300K actually if my LacieBlueEyePro' readings are correct) 2.2 gamma and setting the black level down to 45 from the default 50.

There are two downsaides that I dont like:
1. Gamma presets are not correct enough to my liking.
For example the 2.2 presets gives you gamma fluctuation in gradation of greys from 2.09 to 2.18. With average gamma=2.1. That is too low for a 2.2 preset.
If you set it to 2.4 the gamma will be too high and will average with something like 2.32.

2. I cant get proper 6500K temperaature without deviation of the blue color skyrocketing above 7 deltaE. Which is strange since the average readings of the rest of the colors stays at about 2 or even less. I have to try different combinations of Hue + Gain (RGB) to get to the 6500K temp without the blue level reaching crazy levels. (depending on selected gamma and even brightness)
Maybe that is just my calibrator, or maybe it's just the way the display works. But the idea of messsing with Hue doesn't please me.
I am considering the EasyPix set. What can be better than hardware level calibration, right? hehe

Well, apart those two negative moments, the display is really really great. By the way - it seems to be more responsive than my asus vg236. That was really unexpected, But, of course, the ghosting is always there, like 20 times more than on the 120hz asus. But it doesn't bother me much. The almost perfect image quality outweights it hands down.

Back