Samsung S27A750D 120Hz

I managed to lay my hands on this display, but I'm a bit disappointed. Granted, it has nice colors, for a TN, better then the T260 I been using for few years, but there are way too many drawbacks:

1) TriDef launcher is updated with profiles from August 2011, any newer game is not detected, and I had to download trial version of TriDef, and I refuse to pay $50 for TriDef software, when I should get working one with display. Seems Samsung is doing with displays same as with phones, and for software update you have to wait for ages

2) The glossy screen. In home I tried idfferent settings of the desk, but the screen always have bad reflections from windows, that kill any fun from playing game where are lot of dark areas.

3) There is backlight bleed, and the edge leds do give too much light in corners, especially on the left side

4) 1920x1080 on 27" is not the brightest ideas for Sammy engineers. 23" it's okay for that resolution, 27" for games or movies work, but trying to write things for work is nightmare.

5) Sent this thing away, as soon as I get money back, I'm getting either the U2711, or U2312, and I think I really don't need that big display. But for sure I'm not getting anohter TN screens with 1920x1080 on 27"

I have one.

For me, 3D is a gimmick. I didn't get this for 3D at all.

...I actually prefer glossy. My large 3-panel corner desk is facing away from a corner of my recroom, not against the wall like a bookshelf which would act like a catcher's mitt for light pollution. All room lighting and windows are behind the backs of my monitors, and my back is to the corner.
.... I also have a glossy TV with its back to my large living room window similarly. Room lamps in that room are on a remote, so behind the couch ones are turned off during viewing.
..... Its all about room design. Glossy is much more lush and clear than AG, and especially vs the over-aggressive AG on the 30" 2560's and the 27" dell - which also has a scaler that introduces a lot more input lag. To be fair, I've heard that the 750d could have up to 13ms input lag though.

To continue about the 2560x alternatives, they smear on motion much worse than these 120hz input low response time + high/very high overddrive panels. The overdrive + hz combine to make a large reduction in smearing and overdrive artifact occurrence and duration. These displays are about motion.

I don't notice backlight bleed on mine during gaming. That can vary panel to panel , but is also exacerbated by having backlight/brightness too high. I do have some TN shift/shading - most noticeable when I sit higher than I ever would normally or when I stand up (seeing how dark the top was). In games its not noticeable.

The resolution and ppi is more than adequate for gaming. For everything else, I have a higher rez monitor. Currently you can get a korean 2560x1440 ips for $400 shipped which is a steal. That would make a much better desktop/app/imagery monitor, but not a better monitor for gaming motion. 120hz smears less than 60hz low response time TN's .. compared to the smearing on a 10ms + ips which lacks the high overdrive+120hz of screen updates it is a huge difference.

Again this is a monitor for motion gaming, not work imo. If I were in the market right now, I would prob get a korean/catleap and suffer the smearing .. save up for a 120hz when they hopefully come down in price again someday.

All monitor tech has tradeoffs. 120hz input , low response time + high/very high overddrive TN is the best motion gaming there is outside of a graphics professional crt like the FW900 (which has zero blur).

CRT draws very differently. Personally I prefer 85hz, and better yet 96hz - 100hz on a fw900 crt. Due to the way a crt redraws, crt's exhibit no blur/smear on fast motion.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Refresh_rate

In the case of modern, low response time + overdrive 120hz*input* LCD computer monitors - the response time compensation ~ overdrive combined with the screen update rate to the pixels (not the fps) comes into play from what I understand. According to this article, at 8.3ms per screen update (120 screen updates/second ~ 120hz) on high/very high overdrive, the pixels "relax" much faster than at longer screen updates of 60hz at 16.6 ~ 16.7 ms each. These updates are sent regardless of your frame rate, resulting in some duplication at lower frame rates, but the overdrive at 8.3ms per screen update should still reduce the smearing.
If this review is correct, it might give some insight. It also has some nice diagrams and further details on the page linked beyond what I pasted below, and on the 60hz testing on the page that comes before it.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/monitors/display/samsung-sm2233rz_10.html#sect0
What about 120Hz then? Subjectively, RTC artifacts disappeared when I changed the refresh rate, but why?

The response time does not change much. The average is 3.3 milliseconds (GtG), which is only 0.1 less than at 60Hz. This difference may be just due to measurement inaccuracies.

The RTC error in percent is somewhat lower: an average of 7.3% and a maximum of 40%. This is better than at 60Hz (9.6% average) but not much different.

The RTC error relaxation time is the answer. The diagram is made to the same scale as for the 60Hz refresh rate so that you could easily see the difference. The average relaxation time was 15.2 milliseconds but now is only 6.6 milliseconds. It means that the RTC errors are not just lower but also vanish from the screen faster!

I want to illustrate this with a series of pictures showing the movement of a black square along a gray background at 60Hz and 120Hz refresh rates. The square is moving from left to right and its movement is captured each 8.3 milliseconds – the picture update period at a refresh rate of 120Hz.

The gain of nearing 120fps+ average or going higher (to maintain the fps vs scene complexity dips) in reaction based gaming would be that you would be see more "recent" or "current" action every 8.3ms - always providing a new unique frame per screen update of 120hz, as opposed to every 16.6ms. Some games tear worse than others though and some people are proponents of keeping their frame rate below the refresh rate of the monitor in an attempt to avoid tearing.

* note that the review I quoted is not the 750D but relates to 120hz input + high overdrive technology. It is also comparing vs 60hz setting on the same low response time TN monitor with overdrive (RTC - response time compensation). A 60hz ips would have a much worse response time and smear the whole scene badly on FoV movement in games.

Last edited:
Playing BF3 on this thing Ultra at 120fps is just amazing. It's a gaming monitor, not a work monitor.

Anyone not having Display port issues with this monitor? If so what display port cable did you buy? I've tried two. One from Monoprice and one from StarTech (Amazon) both fail on waking up from sleep mode but usually with different actions such as a Black screen or display port failure.

I've pretty much have seen all the errors at one time or another others have mentioned in this thread since I bought it.

It just doesn't want to come out of sleep mode correctly. If I'm lucky I can hit the return or menu key on it to get it to come back to life. Sometime turning it off and back on works.

I'm just getting fed up. While I absolutely love the display when its working, I can't stand that it flakes out. Samsung FAILED big time by not including dvi connection IMHO.

So yes if anyone can give any help and what their setup is I'm all ears.

thanks

Can someone help me here?

I have a gtx580 and I want this monitor but I dont have a display port. How can I get this monitor to run at 120hz without a display port? What kind of adapter would I need?

Would it just be smarter overall to buy a asus vg278 instead of this?

Short answer is you can't. There are active DVI to DP adapters but not sure how successful those are, and are pricey.

I've had this monitor for 2 months now. I had one or two display out of range errors, but a quick off/on of the monitor and all was well. I bought 3 monoprice DP cords from Amazon.com. First one I opened worked great.

Any opinions on chancing one of the factory refurbs available on Ebay?

$530 seems like a decent deal and in my experience refurbs seem to have less assembly-related QC issues because they are almost always checked individually and by hand. The 750D looks better than the 950, costs less, and the standard frame mounting makes it less prone to that BLB caused by pinching on the asymmetric 950 mount.

Link to refurb

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
R6rNBgkpLaWzTsKQOvMX7ibKPc2wJuAktjQJAyXT0IlLTwU3WuIhjRoTlY4hFckLpSIEMZkU0y8

S27A750D

Just thrown a rig together to mount this puppy, a great monitor, allows you to sit back, outstanding gaming performance, loving this, no bleed, no dead pixels, solid colors through the whole gamut, bright but crisp with it. Highly recomended.

Can someone help me here?

I have a gtx580 and I want this monitor but I dont have a display port. How can I get this monitor to run at 120hz without a display port? What kind of adapter would I need?

Would it just be smarter overall to buy a asus vg278 instead of this?

You can run it at 100hz over HDMI

R6rNBgkpLaWzTsKQOvMX7ibKPc2wJuAktjQJAyXT0IlLTwU3WuIhjRoTlY4hFckLpSIEMZkU0y8

S27A750D

Just thrown a rig together to mount this puppy, a great monitor, allows you to sit back, outstanding gaming performance, loving this, no bleed, no dead pixels, solid colors through the whole gamut, bright but crisp with it. Highly recomended.

Agree. I feel like I struck gold when I picked up the 750D at Tigerdirect for $399... now they are discontinued and price is sky high. I continue to be amazed by the gaming experience this baby provides, BF3 on ultra at 100+ fps is just amazing on this thing!

Agree. I feel like I struck gold when I picked up the 750D at Tigerdirect for $399... now they are discontinued and price is sky high. I continue to be amazed by the gaming experience this baby provides, BF3 on ultra at 100+ fps is just amazing on this thing!

Agreed. BF3 is amazing on this monitor. I have the Samsung S23A950 which uses the same panel.

Any opinions on chancing one of the factory refurbs available on Ebay?

$530 seems like a decent deal and in my experience refurbs seem to have less assembly-related QC issues because they are almost always checked individually and by hand. The 750D looks better than the 950, costs less, and the standard frame mounting makes it less prone to that BLB caused by pinching on the asymmetric 950 mount.

Link to refurb

Last month in a moment of weakness I had my three for sale @ $400 each. But I have since reconsidered because they do so many things great. 120hz is awesome, eyefinity 3d is awesome and the physical appearance of the monitors are awesome!

My only problem is you are locked in with AMD cards for 3D because Nvidias 3D vision does not support them. This was a HUGE problem for me until the latest beta driver release from AMD cleared up Multi-GPU issues.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
so i ordered one of these yesterday i no pcmonitors.org used to have a review and calibration settings for this which is no longer there anyone got any recommendations would appreciate it

so i ordered one of these yesterday i no pcmonitors.org used to have a review and calibration settings for this which is no longer there anyone got any recommendations would appreciate it

Brightness 45
Contrast 45
Sharpness 60
Set response time "Fastest" for 2D and "normal" for 3D

Red 45
Green 45
Blue 51
Gamma Model 1

How much did you pay and where did you get it from if you don't mind me asking...Im considering getting 2 more for a 5x1 setup.

thanks for that just curious how did you come up with thos settings yourself? through using calibration tools or website ect just curious dont mind at all think your in usa if i remember seeing you discussing getting it from compusa with someone not sure

i got mine from pccasegear 485.00 probably 525.00 after shipping but thats the cheapest price i could find in comparison sites wish i got that 400 deal someone was discussing your set up looks pretty mad tho haha unorthodox mount but whatever works

bit worried about the claim of the displayport cable it comes with not been high enough quality to transmit the full 120hz as it is i gotta source out a minidp to dp cable just noticed there is one site cheaper says 400.00 in stock is aus tho ask if you need no more never brought from place tho

Read some review somewhere where the dude calibrated it for accurate pic/colors, then modified the settings from there to suit my tastes.

The displayport problem is with the monitor itself, which is why this monitor was discontinued early. You get used to dealing with it..if your using one monitor and it goes out of sync just press the middle button to cycle to hdmi input and then back to dp input and it will be fine. If your using triple monitor like me and one goes out just adjust the desktop resolution on one of the working displays one level down then then revert it back up to native res and you will be back in business.

Well as the post starter I thought I'd give a follow-up. My 750D has been getting worse and worse with the DisplayPort issues and I've finally had it. I've contacted Samsung and have been escalated to their care department, demanding a replacement 950D to be shipped. Honestly this is the very first time I've been disappointed with a Samsung product, however it seems like so far their support is following through with this since I am still under warranty. What a bummer too...the 750D was a beautiful monitor other than the DP outages.

Last edited:
Yeah that really is a bummer. I went for a 950 myself because the 700 is too small for me (as I discovered first hand) and I don't trust DP on the 750s.

I also have a 750 and used to have issues with the DP dropping connection. I recently switched to Windows 8 and from AMD to an NVIDIA card and haven't had any issues since (*knocks on wood*).

Switching from AMD to NVIDIA also solved an issue where the monitor wouldn't wake up when resuming from sleep mode. It was really annoying having to turn the display off and back on every time.

I love the display though, I was hesitant at first because of the glossy screen but I'm so glad I bought it. It's definitely the best monitor I've ever owned for gaming.

Guess I am one of the lucky ones. Only had the DP issue occur three or four times using the monitor almost every day for 7 months. I wonder if it's because I am using a short (3') miniDP to DP cable?

At first I had problems with my 750 until I flashed my mobo bios. Surprisingly that fixed everything. I was running nvidia gtx570hd's but now upgraded to a gtx680 and my 750 is still kicking. I'm actually trying to find used ones to buy so I can have a matching dual monitor setup but these things are now hard to find.

I've been having more displayport out of range problems and arma2 goes blank screen sometimes (wtf?) with this monitor so I thought I would try and plug both displayport and hdmi in my ati card and duplicate the displays. Its been working great so far.

Can you get 120 Hz on this monitor when you connect it to a recent MacBook with OS X 10.8?

§·H·ï·Z·N·ï·L·T·ï;1038017207 said:
This Samsung performs on the same level as my 21" Sony CRT's.

I notice no input/respone time lag at all on this screen, it's very smooth.

It has the CRT feel I was going for which I never thought I would find in a flat panel.

My PC room with the lights off goes completly black so glare is not an issue for me, but I could see it being an issues for others in a room with windows.

Just make sure you have the room dark behind you and you will be fine.

Here's some pics...

MKOVi.jpg

YPf6V.jpg

7lczN.jpg

C7IhJ.jpg

VnhhR.jpg

HvLKW.jpg

excuse me
havent u go any problems whit display port connections ?

i read some user speak about "lost signal" or "not optimal settin" issue.

have u ever had this problems ?

I'm sorry but it's too long to read 26 pages. This display has some common problems? It will be good for gaming / movies?

I love mine but sicne I went from 2x6970 in CFX to a GTX 690 I have had the display out of range or not optimal message pop on me quite often :(

I'm curious to know if anyone has seen the Asus VG278H compared to this monitor (in person with some good testing time in)

I love mine but sicne I went from 2x6970 in CFX to a GTX 690 I have had the display out of range or not optimal message pop on me quite often :(

I'm curious to know if anyone has seen the Asus VG278H compared to this monitor (in person with some good testing time in)

This display has 120 Hz on Nvidia Cards? Or 120 hz only for amd cards? Also some people write that this display has fan inside. Its true? How often this message pop up? Every hour? Every few mins? What about pixel size?

This display has 120 Hz on Nvidia Cards? Or 120 hz only for amd cards? Also some people write that this display has fan inside. Its true? How often this message pop up? Every hour? Every few mins? What about pixel size?

It does 120hz with NVIDIA just fine. The only limitation of AMD vs NVIDIA is that it doesn't "officially" support NVIDIA's 3D Vision. With AMD you can use the Tri-Def software (comes with the monitor) to do 3D. You can use the same software with an NVIDIA card but it's limited to side-by-side format which effectively halves the resolution.

I get the display out of range message very infrequently, I'd say maybe once a week if that. I've also read that the base has a fan inside but I've never heard it, so it's never been an issue for me.

In terms of pixels it's the same as any other 27" 1080p monitor. It doesn't bother me at all but everyone is different.

S27A750D has ghosting? What display is better and fasrer: XL2420T or this?
Where lower input lag? S27A750D works with latest NVIDIA drivers? 306.23

Last edited:
S27A750D has ghosting? What display is better and fasrer: XL2420T or this?
Where lower input lag? S27A750D works with latest NVIDIA drivers? 306.23

No ghosting from what I've seen. You are comparing a BenQ 24" to a Samsung 27". I wish the Samsung had a higher resolution but it isn't bad. As of right now my S27A750D is still working with my EVGA GTX 680 on 306.23 NVIDIA drivers

ensu3 now if only we could get frame sequential working with Nvidia cards :D (as stated in previous posts I went from 6970s in CFX to a GTX 690)

Windows 8 had claims to have native support for stereoscopic 3D, so I wonder what this will translate to for end users. I hope that it means no more tridef, iz3d, 3DVision, etc etc... just a standardized method to render out to the display and let the display handle it, Just like HDTVs!!

Well as the post starter I thought I'd give a follow-up. My 750D has been getting worse and worse with the DisplayPort issues and I've finally had it. I've contacted Samsung and have been escalated to their care department, demanding a replacement 950D to be shipped. Honestly this is the very first time I've been disappointed with a Samsung product, however it seems like so far their support is following through with this since I am still under warranty. What a bummer too...the 750D was a beautiful monitor other than the DP outages.
Sorry to hear that.

*I sent off an email to Gigabyte and Samsung. I can't find anything for nVidia besides [email protected]. Does anyone have an address to use?

Going to list my issues with losing the signal (Black Screen) and a few "Not Optimum Mode" messages as well.

All ECO and Power Save options are off. The fan is running in the monitor.
Running Win 7 64-bi and Gigabyte GTX 670.
I am using a Samsung S23A750D. My other monitor is a 2333SW on DVI. (Running Dual monitors)

1) Monitor went black after about 10 hours on. In the middle of playing TorchLight II. Turning it off and on would get me back signal. (I didn't know that the 'Enter' swapped inputs so I did that). Was running 120Hz @ 1080p over the included Samsung DP cable.
After that it happened twice again in 2 hours. The base was very warm to the touch.

2) I opened Window's Screen Resolution tool on the 306.23 drivers and the 750D went black again.

3) Occasionally I will get a "Not Optimum Mode" Message vs. instantly loosing the signal.

4) Sometimes cycling the inputs from DP to HDMI will not help regain the signal back and a power/off is necessary. Sometimes a forced unplug and replug of power.

5) On reading this thread I purchased a Monoprice 10ft 28AWG DisplayPort Cable - White http://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-10ft-28AWG-DisplayPort-Cable/dp/B003L1AFQO/

6) Even with this I still get the same issues, although I have noticed that it mostly happens when I enter or exit Locking Windows (Win + L), enter or exit sleep mode, or upon startup. I've had it occur also when changing video game settings (Medium -> High).

Any thoughts? It just seems the Monitor/GPU are not able to talk to each other sometimes. Luckily it has not lost signal when I've been playing a game again so far.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
For anyone who still cares... blocking off pin 20 with tape solved all of my DP issues (non-optimal resolution, etc etc). Saved me from spending $50 on expensive DP cables :)

Back