Samsung S27A750D 120Hz

Hey guys,

My new S27a750D is getting delivered tomorrow. I could use some guidance in setting it up.

My plan is to make the 27" my primary monitor. My current Acer 24" 120hz will be the secondary. The 27" will be hooked via displayport of course and the Acer using the DVI port.

Is it pretty simple to make the displayport the primary? I'm assuming its just a few clicks in Catalyst Control Center? If not your help is appreciated.

thanks

Hey guys,

My new S27a750D is getting delivered tomorrow. I could use some guidance in setting it up.

My plan is to make the 27" my primary monitor. My current Acer 24" 120hz will be the secondary. The 27" will be hooked via displayport of course and the Acer using the DVI port.

Is it pretty simple to make the displayport the primary? I'm assuming its just a few clicks in Catalyst Control Center? If not your help is appreciated.

thanks

Yea it should be just fine.
Just make sure your card has DP and not DP-mini. I ran into that issue when I get my monitor.
Also, if you plan on playing first-person shooters you should make sure to set the monitor to 'fastest'.

So I purchased a different cable than what came with the monitor to hopefully fix the problem with the monitor going out of sync and giving me a black screen. I got this guy from monoprice, it worked fine for about a half-hour, then I got the black screen again.

Now I can't get the monitor to work at all on Displayport. No combination of old or new cable will get it to turn on at all. My next step is to replace the mini-DP to DP adapter, but if that doesn't work, what do you suggest? Is my video card toast or is the monitor bad?

Now I can't get the monitor to work at all on Displayport. No combination of old or new cable will get it to turn on at all. My next step is to replace the mini-DP to DP adapter, but if that doesn't work, what do you suggest? Is my video card toast or is the monitor bad?

Hmm, first I would buy a straight through cable, mini-DP to DP and see if that works. http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10246&cs_id=1024606&p_id=6007&seq=1&format=2

If you have tried that or if it doesn't work then read on.

Well the easiest test is to try a different video card or monitor but those are not always available to folks.

So, do you have an HDMI cable and video card with HDMI out? I'd start there and see if that interface works. If the monitor is new and the videocard is older and has worked fine up till now, I'd suspect the monitor. Unfortunately, if I'm guessing correctly, you don't have a spare monitor or videocard that uses displayport so you may have to just roll the dice and take advantage of your warranty/s. BUT FIRST I'd call customer support and see what they say.

Well, I hooked up my new monitor last night. I'm only had time to play with it for about an hour. I am posting in hopes you guys can save me some time clicking around in menus trying to fix a couple issues...

Oh, first off the monitor is BRIGHT. Maybe too bright but jury is still out on that. It makes my Acer 120hz look dark and dull. So right there it's definitely an upgrade. :)

Here goes my questions.

- My biggest issue is my 24" Acer 120hz LCD. It is hooked to the DVI port and it is running at 60hz. I have it set as secondary monitor with the desktop set to extend onto it. I'm not sure why it won't let me set it to 120hz considering its the same port it was connected to when it was my primary monitor. I also couldn't get Win7 to accept the Acer driver for this monitor. It's seeing it as a standard monitor and using the default windows driver.. When updating driver under device manager I point to the ACER drivers download for this monitor and it tells me the best drivers are already installed, strange. I'll be re investigating this later. Just wondering if anyone else has ran into this issue with two different brand/size 120hz lcds.

- Is extend the best options when using two monitors? I was thinking I could be playing a game on the 27" and say surfing the web on the 24" during downtime (level loading, etc) during a game.

- Any recommended video (picture quality) settings for this monitor yet? I'm not one that will fiddle around in the display properties windows trying to figure out the ultimate settings. I usually let the pros figure that out. ;)

- Any other obvious menu settings (on the monitor) I need to set? I did set the monitor to fastest already.

That's it so far.

thanks

Last edited:
Well, I hooked up my new monitor last night. I'm only had time to play with it for about an hour. I am posting in hopes you guys can save me some time clicking around in menus trying to fix a couple issues...

Oh, first off the monitor is BRIGHT. Maybe too bright but jury is still out on that. It makes my Acer 120hz look dark and dull. So right there it's definitely an upgrade. :)

Here goes my questions.

- My biggest issue is my 24" Acer 120hz LCD. It is hooked to the DVI port and it is running at 60hz. I have it set as secondary monitor with the desktop set to extend onto it. I'm not sure why it won't let me set it to 120hz considering its the same port it was connected to when it was my primary monitor. I also couldn't get Win7 to accept the Acer driver for this monitor. It's seeing it as a standard monitor and using the default windows driver.. When updating driver under device manager I point to the ACER drivers download for this monitor and it tells me the best drivers are already installed, strange. I'll be re investigating this later. Just wondering if anyone else has ran into this issue with two different brand/size 120hz lcds.

- Is extend the best options when using two monitors? I was thinking I could be playing a game on the 27" and say surfing the web on the 24" during downtime (level loading, etc) during a game.

- Any recommended video (picture quality) settings for this monitor yet? I'm not one that will fiddle around in the display properties windows trying to figure out the ultimate settings. I usually let the pros figure that out. ;)

- Any other obvious menu settings (on the monitor) I need to set? I did set the monitor to fastest already.

That's it so far.

thanks

I think on an ATI card you need to use a specific div port on the back of the video card to get 120hz, if you have (2) try switching to the other one. If not it must be the fact the driver is not installing, try just selecting it in device manager.

Read this review or just jump to the calibration settings and try what they recommend.
http://www.pcmonitors.org/monitor-reviews/samsung-s27a750d

Last edited:
Hmm, first I would buy a straight through cable, mini-DP to DP and see if that works. http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10246&cs_id=1024606&p_id=6007&seq=1&format=2

If you have tried that or if it doesn't work then read on.

Well the easiest test is to try a different video card or monitor but those are not always available to folks.

So, do you have an HDMI cable and video card with HDMI out? I'd start there and see if that interface works. If the monitor is new and the videocard is older and has worked fine up till now, I'd suspect the monitor. Unfortunately, if I'm guessing correctly, you don't have a spare monitor or videocard that uses displayport so you may have to just roll the dice and take advantage of your warranty/s. BUT FIRST I'd call customer support and see what they say.

I remember reading somewhere that there is a problem with the fan freezing. I don't remember if this is with the 750d or the 950d. But I suspect it might be the unit overheating. I hear the fan running, but the base is getting quite warm.

Last night, the monitor went black on Displayport and no matter what I did, I could not get it to come back on. This morning, after the monitor had been off all night, Displayport came right up first try. I haven't had a chance to test this out further... but I can't find the forum post or article that talks about the fan issue... does anyone have information on this?

I remember reading somewhere that there is a problem with the fan freezing. I don't remember if this is with the 750d or the 950d. But I suspect it might be the unit overheating. I hear the fan running, but the base is getting quite warm.

Last night, the monitor went black on Displayport and no matter what I did, I could not get it to come back on. This morning, after the monitor had been off all night, Displayport came right up first try. I haven't had a chance to test this out further... but I can't find the forum post or article that talks about the fan issue... does anyone have information on this?

I was concerned about this immediately as well. Just 15-20 minutes after turning them on for the first time, the base was noticeably warm and I heard the fans running on all three displays. Vega's mod keeps looking easier and easier to me. Thinking about getting those PCBs in the open air :p

I was concerned about this immediately as well. Just 15-20 minutes after turning them on for the first time, the base was noticeably warm and I heard the fans running on all three displays. Vega's mod keeps looking easier and easier to me. Thinking about getting those PCBs in the open air :p

I found the post regarding the fan: http://www.overclock.net/t/1129341/samsung-sa950-and-sa750-owners-club/80#post_15299660

Hopefully this is my problem. But what's weird is that it only happens when I run it on Displayport, HDMI works fine.

Edit: also in that thread, someone mentions that there might not be enough voltage from the video card to properly drive the displayport. I'll have to install an overclocking utility and bump up the voltage.

Last edited:
Will TigerDirect be getting this monitors back in at their advertised sale price of $399? When I search for the monitor on their site it now says "We're sorry, the product you have searched for is no longer available for sale." I didn't want to pay an extra $100 for it on Newegg but I can't tell if this message means they are out of stock or they are not getting any more PERIOD.

I talked to someone from Tigerdirect a few days ago and he said they will not be getting any more stock in of the S27: http://imgur.com/cOLxC

Newegg still seems to have the best price at $499.99 and as of today the monitor is also on Amazon Prime for $499.99 with free 2-day shipping (or $3.99 one-day shipping).

The DP Link error/Out of sync thing happens so often that I doubt all of our videocards are faulty. I actually found a site that somewhat explained the problem. Saying Windows7 recognizes the monitor as a plug-n-play device. You can confirm this by hearing a beep used for connecting a USB device, when actually turning the monitor back on after the well known black screen.

http://superuser.com/questions/120983/how-to-disable-monitor-auto-detection-in-windows-7

As far as I know there is no fix yet. It really does suck.

Uggh, :\ I'm beginning to thing we are beta testing displayports.

While I'm loving the actual display. I am a bit concerned about the displayport. Yesterday I received an error stating there was a connection issue and it and it set my resolution to 700x###. All I had to do was go into display settings and correct the resolution.

Just a few minutes ago I get the optimum error when it came out of sleep mode... it came up but then went to a black screen with a little box floating around with error. I just hit the return or enter key on the actual monitor and that resolved it.

So ya, so far I love the size and picture quality of the display but I'm getting concerned about the displayport functionality.

I can't believe Samsung is oblivious to this issue and didn't experience these symptoms during development?

Ok so I just got the Samsung S27A750D 3d led monitor and I am wondering if I can watch movies or play games 3d on this monitor using DP to DP of the gtx 5xx. I understand that some games and movies don't have 3d but just wondering. Also, I am about to get a second of that model and will the two have 120hz or 60hz each? I may settle for GTX 5xx with DP ports or just go with ATI 6xxx. Your input would help a lot.

thanks

I decided to give LCD's another chance as you can see i hated my first the PLS (POS) S27A850. Also take note that my view is based almost 100% on gaming/entertainment.

Other than resolution this monitor is pretty much better in every way. The colors, contrast, clarity and speed are far better than what i experienced with the S27A850. Backlight bleed is pretty much non existent (thank god) and the blacks are excellent. When i first hooked up the monitor there was definitely a wow factor for how fast this thing responds with no noticeable input lag or ghosting at all. This monitor does have almost a CRT feel to it.

Input lag test
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y11ZZWLQ14A
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwJwAURPWb8

Gaming is fantastic on this monitor even at 1080p this size doesn't really hurt it. Only a few games with very large view distance and small objects to look at like arma 2, DCS-a10c and medieval 2 looked better on the s27a850 because of the higher resolution. The pixel density isn't as bad as i thought it was going to be and the jagged edges will pretty much disappear with higher levels of AA. Also my low res console toys (ps3/360) still manage to look good on this monitor while not looking nearly as blurry when compared to the S27A850.

There are a couple of things i don't like about the monitor though. 3d is awful... but it's not really the fault of the monitor as it is just complete garbage technology. Why sacrifice clarity for a headache i will never understand. Cross talk is extremely noticeable both in pc and consoles games. I recommend tossing your glasses in the nearest trash bin (or ebay).

The stand isn't very adjustable at all but that really doesn't effect me, however the buttons are all touch based and EXTREMELY unresponsive. Seriously the arrow keys will make you want to stomp on kittens they are so bad. I recommend sliding your finger across the keys instead of pressing them.

When i first hooked it up i ran into a problem with the display port cable and the monitor saying DP Link error or something but i just readjusted the cable and i haven't had any problems sense at 120hz for about 2 weeks now and still using the cable that came with the monitor.

Last thing is 1080p is a garbage resolution for regular desktop/webpage/work usage. I absolutely cant stand browsing webpages because of the lack of vertical space. Other than those minor issues I'm extremely impressed with this monitor.

Update: Since I made the changes suggested in the link below I haven't had any displayport issues! :D

Thanks stfn!

The DP Link error/Out of sync thing happens so often that I doubt all of our videocards are faulty. I actually found a site that somewhat explained the problem. Saying Windows7 recognizes the monitor as a plug-n-play device. You can confirm this by hearing a beep used for connecting a USB device, when actually turning the monitor back on after the well known black screen.

http://superuser.com/questions/120983/how-to-disable-monitor-auto-detection-in-windows-7

As far as I know there is no fix yet. It really does suck.

"Have a look at your services. I had a similar problem and disabled "AMD External Events Utility" and it stopped looking for the monitor. I think on my old system it was called "ati hotkey poller""

This seems to have fixed it for me. Haven't had any displayport issues in 2 days now.

So Im very interested in this monitor, my only issue is that my gtx580 only has dul link dvi, how would I get it connected to this monitor? I want my pc gaming to be 120hz.

Also is this monitor better then the 950D? I prefer the aesthetics of the 750d over the 950d.

Does the 750D have the same ultra clear panel??

Thanks!

I've now had this monitor for about a month and go figure, it now has some serious backlight bleed issues on the right and bottom edges. When I first got it it only had a slight light-grey effect along the bottom left, but now it has a very noticable blueish haze on the right and the bottom. It's only visible on dark backgrounds but it's quite noticeable. I tried to call up CompUSA about an exchange but they'll only offer me a refund because they are out of stock. Given that I paid $400 for it and it would cost me $500 to replace it on amazon I'm inclined to stick with it despite the back light bleed, but I don't know if it's going to get worse. Has anyone else had this problem with this monitor? Does anyone know a way to reduce the amount of back light bleed I'm getting from it?

You sure thats not driver related?

I have the 750 and I love it. I was toying with this or the Dell 2410 IPS for ages but in the end went for the Samsung.

Mine has 1 dead pixel and 'some' backlight bleed in bottom left and right. I coudl live with it as its hardly noticable but I have just contacted Samsung and they are coming to pick it up tomorrow to inspect, repair/replace.

Sorry for the double post but this caught my attention on searching the topic. Samsung will service this monitor for backlight bleed? I thought that like one or two dead pixels backlight bleed wasn't covered under warranty. Did they wind up replacing your monitor or fixing the issues for you?

So I cant find this monitor for sale ANY where :( Anyone know where I can get one new?

Also I was planning on removing the base and the plastic bezel and running the monitor with heavy duty 3M tape attached to my ergotron mx articulated stand. Anyone take apart this monitor?

I can't get the monitor to work over displayport. HDMI seems fine, but when i tried the included displayport cable with my 6850 (no adapter, full size DP to full size DP), a popup message in windows that says "DisplayPort Lower Setting Applied" and the maximum resolution i can select is 1280x720 @ 60hz. So then i went and bought a high quality DP cable only to find that Samsung's brilliant industrial engineers never thought someone would use anything but the included DP cable which has a very narrow connector plug. I then shaved a good 1/8 inch off of the side of my new DP cable's plug so it could actually fit in the back of the 750, and...........same thing. stuck at low res. Anybody else have this problem?

So I cant find this monitor for sale ANY where :( Anyone know where I can get one new?

Also I was planning on removing the base and the plastic bezel and running the monitor with heavy duty 3M tape attached to my ergotron mx articulated stand. Anyone take apart this monitor?

From what I can tell the monitor has already been discontinued. I had purchased one with the intention of seeing how well it worked before getting 2 more. I found the last $500 deal on buy.com last week to complete the set of 3 and everything is working as expected, but I have no expectation of being able to replace one should something happen.

In regards to removing the base - good luck. The backlight and all the electronics are in the base, so getting one of these mounted to a VESA stand will be a pretty serious undertaking.

FWIW I took a gamble and purchased this dual-link DVI to mini-DP converter with hopes of being able to run 3 of these hogs from a 7970 (2 via DP and one via DVI). It worked, but maxes out at 60Hz meaning no 3D. Frankly, I pretty much expected there to be some sort of problem, if not in the refresh then with sync across the 3 displays. Back to the shop it goes!

AMD cannot release a 3+ DP card soon enough...

They have 3 mini dp cards and have for some time. They have an xfx 6770 series with 5 mini dp outs (weak for gaming now but its only $120 bux), there have been eyefinity 6 gaming cards in the past (there was a 5000 series one and 6870's I think) with 6 mini dp outs, and the 6990 has 4 mini dp outs + 1 dvi out.

FWIW I took a gamble and purchased this dual-link DVI to mini-DP converter with hopes of being able to run 3 of these hogs from a 7970 (2 via DP and one via DVI). It worked, but maxes out at 60Hz meaning no 3D. Frankly, I pretty much expected there to be some sort of problem, if not in the refresh then with sync across the 3 displays. Back to the shop it goes!

AMD cannot release a 3+ DP card soon enough...

Hey I'm receiving this monitor on Monday. Is it possible to run 120Hz on one monitor with an mini-DP to DVI? This is what's my determining factor whether I should ship it back or not :/. It sucks my card doesn't 560 ti doesn't support DP.

Has this monitor been discontinue? NO!!!! I also bought one with the intention of buying two more for a 3 monitor setup

Hey I'm receiving this monitor on Monday. Is it possible to run 120Hz on one monitor with an mini-DP to DVI? This is what's my determining factor whether I should ship it back or not :/. It sucks my card doesn't 560 ti doesn't support DP.

You need DVI to DP, not the other way around. And no, it's still only 60Hz. If you want to buy mine you can bid on it here :)

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I wonder what two monitors would be a good match up for Eyefinity setup with this monitor or would it make it to obscure?

Discontinued? Is there a newer/better model to replace it, or did they give up on 120 Hz LCDs?

LOL, this thing lasted 6 months before Samsung threw in the towel?? That does not bode well for the state of 120hz monitors when one of the 3 major manufacturer's discontinues its latest model WELL less than a year into production? Fack...

I just got mine, and WOW, its imazing. Just wish I can get some kind of dp support of some kind for my card. Not having DVI made it a bit stressful, but I guess I'll live with the 60hz on hdmi for now.

Back