Samsung S27A750D 120Hz

QQ

They took my order but had no stock at the time.. nice of them eh? Well, cancelled that one. do i bite the bullet and get them for more from egg? I psyched myself up already just to have my dreams squashed. :(

Same here- do I wait for tiger to restock and risk newegg raising the price again to $599 and that way lose big time or just pull the trigger and give newegg an extra $100 :confused:

where have you been when tigerdirect have them in stock? They have been in stock for almost a week. Anyway, if I were you I should wait until tigerdirect have more in stock. They have been running this price since December. My order will be here tomorrow! Can't wait to try out 120hz!! Cheers!!

talked to my tiger direct rep today to try and get an ETA from them since I was thinking of hopping on a 27" while I could, he has no ETA on them after digging around a bit

If I can get a 27" I was hoping to sell off my 23" ASAP

Just received my 750 the other day and im having some issues. For some reason in the TriDef Control panel it only gives me the option to select HDMI 1.4a... even though im using displayport.

Any ideas how to fix this?

Bounty4321: Are you using the specific TriDef that came on the CD, The Updated Specific for this monitor TriDef downloaded fomr Tridef, or the full retail version?

Also what video card are you using?

Bounty4321: Are you using the specific TriDef that came on the CD, The Updated Specific for this monitor TriDef downloaded fomr Tridef, or the full retail version?

Also what video card are you using?

I installed from the CD, updated to the latest version and then installed TriDef 5.0 from their website. I tried just stickign to what is on the disc but it still only shows HDMI 1.4a when i go to setup.

I am using an ATI 6950 2gb.

how do I watch movie in 120hz mode? For some reason when I"m watching a movie it feels like a 60hz monitor.

So I had the DisplayPort Link Error before, and right now it seems to happen very often when I alt tab out of my game. The screen goes black to switch towards my Desktop, and frequently stays black due to the DisplayPort error kicking in.

It does not seem like a cable error to me as it happens pretty often and I can pretty much trigger it. Problem is I dont have any idea where to look.

So I had the DisplayPort Link Error before, and right now it seems to happen very often when I alt tab out of my game. The screen goes black to switch towards my Desktop, and frequently stays black due to the DisplayPort error kicking in.

It does not seem like a cable error to me as it happens pretty often and I can pretty much trigger it. Problem is I dont have any idea where to look.

I'm in the same boat except mine happens in-game or randomly at the desktop. I bought a new video card just to use DisplayPort and so far it's absolute shit.

I'm using the Mini-DP to DP adapter that came with the video card, and the DP cable that came with the monitor. It runs fine for up to an hour, then I'll get weird sync artifacts, then a black screen. The only way I can get out of this is by unplugging the DP cable and plugging it back in.

I'm in the same boat except mine happens in-game or randomly at the desktop. I bought a new video card just to use DisplayPort and so far it's absolute shit.

I'm using the Mini-DP to DP adapter that came with the video card, and the DP cable that came with the monitor. It runs fine for up to an hour, then I'll get weird sync artifacts, then a black screen. The only way I can get out of this is by unplugging the DP cable and plugging it back in.

Yeah I use the exact same setup, same adapter and DP cable.

It is really annoying and I don't quite now what I can even do about it. But it happens much too frequently.

Someone said pressing the Source button upon the error fixed it for him, but I've tried and it still happens to me. Really annoyed by it now.

Mine just arrived today and I am pretty sure my monitor is broken. Half of my screen is perfect and the other half is streaked with weird colors. It's very noticeable and much worse when contrast is turned up. I also can't seem to get it to work in 120Hz mode.

Ok thinking about buying this monitor for the sole purpose of 120HZ gaming. I am using an ATI 6990 and wanted to check/ask- will the video card/lcd combo work for 120HZ and is there any extra cables that I need to order that might not come with the monitor? The ATI card has like 5 different cables/adapters that came with it and I got plenty of HDMI Cables but from what I understand I will need a display port cable to use 120 HZ? And just another thing- if I get this LCD and want to use 120hz I have to stick with ATI video cards (won't be a problem since that is what I have 90% of the time)

Ok thinking about buying this monitor for the sole purpose of 120HZ gaming. I am using an ATI 6990 and wanted to check/ask- will the video card/lcd combo work for 120HZ and is there any extra cables that I need to order that might not come with the monitor? The ATI card has like 5 different cables/adapters that came with it and I got plenty of HDMI Cables but from what I understand I will need a display port cable to use 120 HZ? And just another thing- if I get this LCD and want to use 120hz I have to stick with ATI video cards (won't be a problem since that is what I have 90% of the time)

You have to stick to cards that have DisplayPort. Nvidia's current offering doesn't have it, but I'm sure their future cards will. So, technically, no you're not locked into ATI forever.

Yeah I use the exact same setup, same adapter and DP cable.

It is really annoying and I don't quite now what I can even do about it. But it happens much too frequently.

Someone said pressing the Source button upon the error fixed it for him, but I've tried and it still happens to me. Really annoyed by it now.

I found a temporary fix...

In the Catalyst Control Panel, you can adjust the frequency that your desktop operates at. I set it from 120Hz to 100Hz and I haven't locked up yet. It looks like at 120Hz, there's just too much data to push through the crappy DP cable that came with the monitor. This'll work until I get a replacement cable.

Hopefully this works for you as well.

So i noticed a potential issue with my monitor. Whenever it displays bright colors in the bottom right hand corner there is this little circle (like 1/3 of an inch) that is brighter then the rest. It looks like a finger print smudge or something but i tried wiping it off with the cloth but it did nothing.

Any ideas as to what this could be?

You have to stick to cards that have DisplayPort. Nvidia's current offering doesn't have it, but I'm sure their future cards will. So, technically, no you're not locked into ATI forever.

They actually do have such offering, but that depends from card manufacturer. My Gainward 570 has DisplayPort, while my EVGA one doesn't

My card has 4 mini display ports I believe- it comes with a mini display port to DP adapter and then I just need a display port cable to be all set?

I found a temporary fix...

In the Catalyst Control Panel, you can adjust the frequency that your desktop operates at. I set it from 120Hz to 100Hz and I haven't locked up yet. It looks like at 120Hz, there's just too much data to push through the crappy DP cable that came with the monitor. This'll work until I get a replacement cable.

Hopefully this works for you as well.

Thank you! I will try this!

Do you know where to get higher quality cables? I did some searching but I dont really know of any brands.

Do games still run at 120 with this setting? I'll keep you posted on my experiences with these new settings.

I've had this monitor for a couple days now and so far it's very impressive. I was upgrading from another glossy panel, an HP w2207, which really wasn't a bad monitor, just kind of low res (1680x1050) and poor on response time (it had no overdrive, so 5ms). I do not have a card that can output through Displayport yet, so I'm only running this at 60hz until I get my tax return and upgrade my system, but the difference in response time from the excellent overdrive feature this monitor has is quite visible even at 60hz. I found the color settings recommended for this monitor (Red: 45, Green: 51, Blue: 51) to be too cold for my taste so I bumped Red up to 48. The only problem I have with it is a somewhat annoying amount of backlight bleed from the bottom and lower left edges of the screen. It is however only noticeable on pure black, so that's not really a problem. I'm not going to bother trying to return it for one with less bleed however as I have 0 dead or stuck pixels, and I don't want to risk getting involved in the pixel lottery. All in all this is the best computer monitor I've ever seen, and I am extremely happy with it.

To those who are getting the "Optimum Mode 1900x1080" issue. Please allow me to share my experience with that issue in hope that it might help you. The first day I got the monitor, I saw the "Optimum Mode 1900x1080" message twice. To clear the message the first time I unplugged and re-plugged the power cord to the monitor. The second time it happen, I press the source button located in the middle of the arrow keys. Since the second time I have not seen the message again (knock on wood). It's been over 2 weeks now.

System specs:

2500K @ 4.8ghz
Latest Catalyst drivers
Asus P8P67 Pro - Using the default power management settings in the Bios
2 x Visiontek 6970 These did not come with a mini DP to DP adapter
Using this mini DP to DP cable from monoprice http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10246&cs_id=1024606&p_id=6007&seq=1&format=2

And yes this monitor is freaking awesome. This is coming from someone who has had a Sony FW900 for years. I consider myself pretty sensitive to ghosting and input lag. The image quality is not IPS but still fantastic none the less. This monitor has finally allowed me to retire the Sony FW900. That mofo takes up a lot of desk space.

And yes this monitor is freaking awesome. This is coming from someone who has had a Sony FW900 for years. I consider myself pretty sensitive to ghosting and input lag. The image quality is not IPS but still fantastic none the less. This monitor has finally allowed me to retire the Sony FW900. That mofo takes up a lot of desk space.

I have both the FW900 and A750D sitting right next to each other here. While the 750D is about as good as it gets for LCD, the FW900 still blows any LCD out of the water for motion. ;)

I have both the FW900 and A750D sitting right next to each other here. While the 750D is about as good as it gets for LCD, the FW900 still blows any LCD out of the water for motion. ;)

Yup I agree but the 750D is the first LCD out of the many I have tried that is closest to a CRT feel. :)

Yup I agree but the 750D is the first LCD out of the many I have tried that is closest to a CRT feel. :)

heh, i like reading this ;)

i've just ordered a 750D and can't wait to try it, especially as i'm still a bit skeptical about the advantage of 120 hz. i've been reading lot on the net since i couldn't decide between buying a 27" IPS @ 2560x1440 (hazro) or a 27" TN @ 1920x1080 (this samsung).

but the 750D should be more useful for me as i prefer fast FPS games, anyway since there's no monitor yet that combines high resolution with 120 hz.

I'm still seeing those flickering pixels/snow every now and then. They tend to appear on gray gradients or on random lines of text. I can't be completely sure that this is the DP converter's fault, but they do disappear at 100hz. This is increasingly getting annoying despite being rare, since they appear in very unexpected and random spots. :mad: I tried called Atlona's support number but keep getting hung up.

Also, Nvidia's 4:3 scaling simply does not work with 1400x1080 at 120hz. This seems to be a hard limitation; there is either no output signal or it goes back to stretching. It does work at 100hz though, which suggests that it's reverting to single link DVI and hitting a bandwidth limit when scaling is on. I think I can live with 100hz here. 640x480 is a bigger problem though. The drivers support it properly (after some work through Rivatuner) and it works well enough for about 30 seconds, but the display then flags the "not optimum mode" message. The message comes up again in less than a minute if I restart the monitor, so this resolution is basically unusable.

[edit] It looks like 640x480 works at 60hz without setting off the monitor's alarm. This should be good enough, as I want this mainly for emulators like Dosbox and Basilisk and those old games typically only run at 30fps, occasionally 60fps at the most. I wish it could be scaled to 1280x960 without interpolation though.

I have both the FW900 and A750D sitting right next to each other here. While the 750D is about as good as it gets for LCD, the FW900 still blows any LCD out of the water for motion.

Yes, that is the best combination. This is the fastest LCD I've seen by some distance, but a few games with smooth turning motions are still nearly unplayable. I keep the 2070SB CRT around for those situations. If I can't get 640x480 working properly, I'll need it for that as well.

Last edited:
Can someone provide a definitive answer on 3 questions please. I'm wanting to pull the trigger on one of these samsungs ASAP. I've done a little research but finding the answers is taking longer than I thought.

- What are the differences between the S27A750D and S27A950D?

- Display port is new to me. I've never used it. So if i understand correctly, I need a mini display port to regular display port cable to use 120hz on the 750d monitor? Is there a particular cable (brand) being recommended?

- My videocard will work with these monitors (display port) correct? MSI Radeon 6870
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127530

thank you

samduhman:

- 950D and 750D are same panel, different enclosures. 950D has a DVI-D port, 750D does not.

- You can use a miniDP to DP cable, or a DP to DP cable with an adapter (should have come with your 6870) I bought one of these.

- Yes, it will work with that card.

samduhman:

- 950D and 750D are same panel, different enclosures. 950D has a DVI-D port, 750D does not.

- You can use a miniDP to DP cable, or a DP to DP cable with an adapter (should have come with your 6870) I bought one of these.

- Yes, it will work with that card.

Thanks! I don't see having the different enclosure and a dvi-d port making it worth $200 more so I guess I'll shoot for the 750D. :cool:

Will TigerDirect be getting this monitors back in at their advertised sale price of $399? When I search for the monitor on their site it now says "We're sorry, the product you have searched for is no longer available for sale." I didn't want to pay an extra $100 for it on Newegg but I can't tell if this message means they are out of stock or they are not getting any more PERIOD.

Thanks! I don't see having the different enclosure and a dvi-d port making it worth $200 more so I guess I'll shoot for the 750D. :cool:

Also the 950 enclosure is just plain ugly, lets be honest. It looks so modern and chic.

Will TigerDirect be getting this monitors back in at their advertised sale price of $399?

I hope so. I'm planning on ordering one by the end of the week. I'll go Amazon and just have it overnighted for $3.99 if TD doesn't have them back in stock at $399.

Back