Samsung S27A750D 120Hz

An ACD and a 120hz samsung both have big tradeoffs.
If you get an IPS without a scaler your input lag is low, but more importantly IPS takes a response time hit so smears on fast FoV movement more. My ACD's response time is around 12ms.
For high ppi + large desktop real-estate for apps and images, better color accuracy + generally just better looking uniform colors , full panel uniformity and no shift/shading, and gorgeous imagery due to that color, ppi, and uniformity - the ACD is far superior. Regarding the colors, I think acd is around 86% adobe 1998 gamut which is quite good for a non RGB led (edgelit) backlight.
For gaming the 120hz is much better. It has much less smearing. It pulls off a crt-like feel even though it still blurs/smears scenes on fast FoV movement a bit. I think its because its smearing is more limited to the fastest parts of FoV movement arcs and seems to "snap back" to clear pixels/scene more immediately, and slower moving screen or scene elements have that totally un-blurred crt "floating" look/feel to them , if you get what I mean. It has some vibrant color though not accurate nor uniform.. still looks pretty good and vibrancy looks good on games. It does have some TN shift/shadowing/shading, noticeable on my 27" one, but not that obvious while gaming. It seems to look better vs shift when I have it lower, looking down at it slightly (the top is darker otherwise), but the rest of my monitor array is centered vs my eyeballs at the moment, and I have the 27" 120hz in line with the other monitors, propped up on a block. I might have to change that in the future.

Imo the glossy screen on both of these monitors helps things look clearer and more lush regardless of their limitations too. I have my 120hz 27A750D for games and light background vids while browsing, and my ACD for everything else (including browsing).

Pixel densities

4.3"....................960 x 540.........256.15 ppi.....0.0992 mm <- droid x2 phone
(LG Quad full HD)
26.5"................3840 x 2160.......166.26 ppi ....0.1528 mm <-- 166ppi quoted resolves to 26.5"
27"...................3840 x 2160.......163.18 ppi.....0.1557 mm <-- may not be viewable size if ppi quote is accurate

10.1"................1280 x 800.........146.55 ppi....0.1783 mm <- asus transformer tablet
17"...................1920 x 1080.......129.58 ppi....0.1960 mm <-- laptop

22.5" (24")........2304 x 1440.......118.13 ppi....0.2150 mm <--- FW900 widescreen CRT max rez 22.5" viewable (80hz) ..
27"...................2560 x 1440.......108.8 ppi....0.2335 mm
30"...................2560 x 1600.......100.6 ppi....0.2524 mm

22"...................1920 x 1080........100.132 ppi..0.2530 mm
20.1"................1680 x 1050..........98.4 ppi ..0.258 mm

23"...................1920 x 1080.........95.78 ppi....0.2652 mm <-- 60hz/120hz
24"...................1920 x 1200.........94.3 ppi....0.2692 mm

24"...................1920 x 1080..........91.8 ppi....0.2767 mm
19"...................1440 x 900...........89.37 ppi....0.2842 mm
27.5"(28")........1920 x 1200..........82.33 ppi....0.3085 mm
27"...................1920 x 1080.........81.59 ppi....0.3113 mm <-- 60hz / 120hz panels

Nearly certain I know the answer to this is "no", but it's safe to assume that neither this monitor nor a BNIB 6950 with MDP output will include the DP cable, correct? The 6950 comes with a MDP to DP adapter but as far as I can tell, no DP cable.

my s23a750D came with the DP cable, I used it with the mini DP to DP adapter that came with my 6970s and all has been good.

So after reading through this entire topic I have yet to find a single post by someone who has said for certain that this monitor works perfectly with one of the gtx570s or 580s with displayport outputs. Does anyone have one of those cards and this monitor who can confirm that it works properly? I am a hardcore nvidia fan but I purchased this monitor based on the reviews linked here. I will upgrade my rig when I get my tax return and was planning to go for the asus GTX570 DirectCU II three slotter with twin fans and a full size displayport. Can anyone confirm that any displayport equipped current gen nvidia cards work well with this monitor at 120hz?

I just received this monitor and Im having issues with the Asus 570 CU II with the display port. Sometimes it works just fine, sometimes I get no screen at all, sometimes I get the not optimal resolution screen. I have a 6950 at work Im going to grab and see if anything changes.

I just received this monitor and Im having issues with the Asus 570 CU II with the display port. Sometimes it works just fine, sometimes I get no screen at all, sometimes I get the not optimal resolution screen. I have a 6950 at work Im going to grab and see if anything changes.

Ugh... I guess I may have to go Radeon if that's the case. I don't get why Samsung made so many odd choices with this monitor. It's got the best gaming screen on the market but a crappy stand, no mounting alternatives, and poor connectivity.

Yes, hence the 2x HDMI inputs and no dual ink DVI or display port

Wow I never looked at the connectivity of them. Hard to believe that a stand up company like Samsung would market a panel as being 120hz and 3D capable and then not make a way for you to use it. That is just baffling.

The more I play with this monitor the more I am in awe of it. I am actually moving my entire setup into a different room where I can control ambient light because of it. I love 1600p, but I admit I love 120Hz way more.

Just got this monitor delivered today. Nice step up from my Samsung 226bw. Tell you what though, bad idea to have this monitor in the same room as where your girlfriend sleeps. Even at 45 brightness it lights up the whole room

Just found this from ATI/AMD's site

http://www.amazon.com/Accell-B112B-...Adapter/dp/tech-data/B003TSDG06/ref=de_a_smtd

I'm kind of curious what in the world these features mean lol is this good?

Product Features
Connect a Mini DisplayPort Enabled Computer to a DisplayPort Monitor, Projector or Display
Cable Adapter Transfers Uncompressed High-Definition Digital Video Signals
Supports HDTV Resolutions up to 1080p and 1920x1200 Computers Resolution
Able to Send Extended Colors up to 12-Bits per Component for Billions of Colors
ATI Eyefinity Validated by AMD

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Ugh... I guess I may have to go Radeon if that's the case. I don't get why Samsung made so many odd choices with this monitor. It's got the best gaming screen on the market but a crappy stand, no mounting alternatives, and poor connectivity.

After unistalling the nvidia 3dvision driver Ive been pretty stable, although I get a weird glitch in SWTOR sometimes with the bottom and right part of the screen being just a tad bit to big for the monitor in windowed fullscreen mode, popping back into fullscreen provides a temporary fix. I still have to plug into HDMI if I want to see bios upon bootup.

Alright so I just got my new screen, and all appears fine. I am now testing for dead pixels however, and when I go to: http://jasonfarrell.com/misc/deadpixeltest.php

I dont see anything, untill I go to the green page, there I see a black line across the screen at te very top of the screen. I can pretty much only see this when I tilt my head downwards while looking up.

I am not really sure if its the top of my bezel reflecting on the screen or if it is a defect. If I sit more upwards I don't really see it. Anyone?

http://i41.tinypic.com/1zohqtu.png Attached a picture. Does anyone know what this is? Or if every 750D has it? It looks like reflection to me, but the problem is that it only appeared in the green background test, the others did not show it at all..

Last edited:
The green flickering pixels I mentioned earlier only appear at 120hz and not at 60hz or 100hz, so I'm wondering if it's something related to the DP converter. Maybe its bandwidth is being maxed out or something. They are pretty rare but do occasionally show up in unexpected places on text and gradients. :confused: Has anyone seen this on a native DP connection?

I also tried out the 2D/3D mode but it hurts my eyes. I actually can't stand looking at it for more than 15 seconds at a time in games. It's easier to look at on still images and produces some nice (although often unrealistic) effects there. I think if your motion perception is sensitive enough to see a big difference from 60 to 120 fps, there's a good chance that you will find the shutter-based 3D uncomfortable.

Just got this monitor delivered today. Nice step up from my Samsung 226bw. Tell you what though, bad idea to have this monitor in the same room as where your girlfriend sleeps. Even at 45 brightness it lights up the whole room

I keep it on 0% brightness for minimizing eyestrain in Windows (even then it's still pretty bright) and turn the dynamic contrast on for games.

Edit: I now do see an actual dead pixel at the center top of my screen. Any suggestions on what to try? It is black, I guess nothing can be done?

Exchange the monitor if you're still within the return period for where ever you bought it from. Other than that, you're SOL unless you wanna spend hours on the phone trying to badger a samsung customer service rep into giving you a replacement. I had that happen on my current HPw2207 about 6 months after I got it. One pixel stuck, and I called HP to get it replaced and was told I had to have at least FIVE pixels DEAD to be able to get a replacement. I was like "fuck that" and spent about two hours on the phone with different customer service people giving them a sob story about how this was the most expensive monitor I'd ever bought and I loved it but that pixel was right in the middle of my screen and it was a constant irritation and I couldn't believe that they had such a ridiculous policy and I would never buy HP again if this was really how little regard they had for their customers. A couple of the people I talked to commiserated with me but said there was nothing they could do, company policy is company policy. Finally I gave up, and a week later a new monitor showed up in the mail. Your mileage may vary but if you're polite and sound wounded some people will take pity on you I guess :p

Alright so I just got my new screen, and all appears fine. I am now testing for dead pixels however, and when I go to: http://jasonfarrell.com/misc/deadpixeltest.php.

Nice link, just did my test and have 0 dead pixels. btw I got my screen for 399 at TigerDirect, imo its a pretty good deal. Might look for a second monitor in the future, but having a hard enough time getting 120 fps in bf3 with my 6870 cf with all setting on low

I keep it on 0% brightness for minimizing eyestrain in Windows (even then it's still pretty bright) and turn the dynamic contrast on for games.

Good advice, I'm going to try it either tonight or tomorrow night see if its a little bit better

I love mine. I have the 23" version, though. (Higher pixel density for the win.)

Crappy as hell stand, and no mounting holes on the back really pissed me off, I want to smack Samsung over the head for that; but the screen itself, is second to none.

Seriously, Samsung - you can't remove the stand, so what is the point in making the monitor so thin as to not have the depth for mounting screw holes? It makes no sense. MAJOR design fail. I have 3 other monitors on a quad stand, and this one has to sit on my freaking desk.

The stand and frame is still intact. You need something approximately 10" high to support the base when its tilted on its side...I just so happens that Zephyrhills bottle water packs come in around that height.

Hmm so I've been running the screen this evening for 4 hours or so, and I had this moment where the I lost my signal and I had a small box dancing around my screen saying something like;

"Optimum Mode 1900x1080" or something. I checked my cables and they were fine. Only thing that brought the signal back was turning the monitor off and on.

It only happened twice but still, pretty annoying in the middle of a game. Does anyone know something about this problem? I use a mini DP->DP adapter with a DP cable.

I've only had it happen on occasion when I reboot my pc so far. Since I have a short displayport to minidp cable directly on the monitor which is then connected to a long minidp extension cable, I can just unplug the cable at the junction and snap it back in to reinit the monitor without turning it off. An annoyance but not a big deal. I've never seen it happen during active use of the monitor, just reboot/wakeup on rare occasion.

Hmm so I've been running the screen this evening for 4 hours or so, and I had this moment where the I lost my signal and I had a small box dancing around my screen saying something like;

"Optimum Mode 1900x1080" or something. I checked my cables and they were fine. Only thing that brought the signal back was turning the monitor off and on.

It only happened twice but still, pretty annoying in the middle of a game. Does anyone know something about this problem? I use a mini DP->DP adapter with a DP cable.

I get the same error sometimes as well. I have been troubleshooting, but haven't come up with a solution yet.

I just ordered a mini-dp to dp 1.2 cable. I will try that and see if it's a cable related issue. I am currently using a monoprice 1.1 cable.

Some other issues I get:
- Windows disconnect sound when powering on
- Sometimes powering on starts in 3D mode
- Cable link error

I get the issue every now and then, but I am running three monitors so all I gotta do is step the total resolution down one setting and then back up and it clears the panel without having to turn it off or unplug it.

The stand and frame is still intact. You need something approximately 10" high to support the base when its tilted on its side...I just so happens that Zephyrhills bottle water packs come in around that height.

What kind of FPS do you get with eyefinity with you trifire setup on BF3? Is there anyway you can test on low settings? Just curious because I'm trying to achieve 120 avg fps in BF3 and my 6870 CF aren't working.

Got the "optimum display mode" message twice last night coming off sleep mode. Just for reference I'm using the DP cable I got with the monitor hooked up straight to my video card without any adapters

I got the "optimum display mode" message once. All you need to do is press the source button which is in the middle of the arrow buttons. The message hasn't popped up since. Good luck.

Thanks. I did read someone complain about the standard DP cable that came with the monitor.
I am not sure if changing that one, made any difference at all though.

I really hate the error, but I hope it will start to appear less frequently eventually. Nothing more annoying than getting a black screen in the middle of a game :).

My trifire setup is gone and replaced with one XFX Black 7970. The 7970 blows my old trifire setup out of the water completely. Trifire 6990+6970 was crap now that I look back at it....but I am supersensitive to microstutter so take that comment however you want.

What kind of FPS do you get with eyefinity with you trifire setup on BF3? Is there anyway you can test on low settings? Just curious because I'm trying to achieve 120 avg fps in BF3 and my 6870 CF aren't working.

Got the "optimum display mode" message twice last night coming off sleep mode. Just for reference I'm using the DP cable I got with the monitor hooked up straight to my video card without any adapters

My trifire setup is gone and replaced with one XFX Black 7970. The 7970 blows my old trifire setup out of the water completely. Trifire 6990+6970 was crap now that I look back at it....but I am supersensitive to microstutter so take that comment however you want.

I always thought TriFire was the sweet spot to stop microstutter. Thought I read that in a Tom's Hardware article

yes that was the consensus. Stutter on two waveforms makes more low valleys than three waveforms. Its also a worse feel if your minimum framerates are very low (30fps and less). I'm thinking about picking up a 6970 on sale/used to add to my 6990 in the next few months for trifire. I've moved from gaming on my 27" 2560x1440 to my 27" 1080p samsung 27A750 120hz recently so my fps should be very nice, even on gpu crushing games like RiFT, Witcher2, and some games coming out.. I'm sure the next metro will be tough to run.

Tri "microstutter" chart. The dotted line shows two gpu crossfire by comparison.
http://media.bestofmicro.com/Crossfire-SLI-stuttering,W-K-300548-22.png
trifire-no-real-microstutter.png

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-geforce-stutter-crossfire,2995-6.html
We repeated this same test using a number of games yielding different average frame rates. So long as the average is above 30 FPS, the resulting output is almost stutter-free. Minor differences in when frames hit the screen are not apparent, and so they don't bother us at all. The experience is similar to using a single GPU.

After analyzing the dual-card configuration, this is certainly not what we were expecting.

Interim Assessment

Amazingly, the three-way setup has a tremendous advantage over two cards in CrossFire.

The 6990 alone also has more frame per second than a single 7970 on games that support gpu's properly, though a few games have odd results. A 7970 is sortof like the next gen 6970. A greater leap from a dual gpu 6990 , let alone a 6990+6970 in tri , would be a 7990 (or 7990+7970 in tri would be huge).

http://static.techspot.com/articles-info/481/bench/Witcher_02.png

metro2033_HD7970_6990.jpg

Metro_2033.png

http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1805/15/

http://www.tested.com/news/tested-amd-radeon-hd-7970-video-card-benchmarks/3328/

UPCOMING RELEASES TITLE ETA
Syndicate February 21, 2012
Prey 2 March 2012
Mass Effect 3 March 6, 2012
Aliens: Colonial Marines March 31, 2012
Prototype 2 April 2012
Max Payne 3 May 29, 2012
Borderlands 2 June 30, 2012
Bioshock: Infinite December 31, 2012
Dishonoured December 31, 2012
Ghost Recon: Future Soldier December 31, 2012
Arma 3 2012
Blacklight: Retribution 2012
Brothers in Arms: Furious 4 2012
Counter-Strike Global Offense 2012
Diablo 3 2012
Far Cry 3 2012
Half-Life 2: Episode 3 2012
Medal of Honor 2 2012
Metro: Last Light 2012
X-Com 2012
Primal Carnage 2012
Command & Conquer: Generals 2 2013
Doom 4 2013
Insane 2013
Tom Clancy's Rainbow 6: Patriots 2013
Homefront 2 2014
I am Alive cancelled
The Agency cancelled

Last edited:
You guys must remember all of these tests on single monitor, you can toss out when Eyefinity comes into play. Completely changes the game.

Couldn't hold back any longer! Pulled the trigger on 3 of these bad boys. I only hope to come close to what Vega has done. Seriously, give that man a C GAR!

Couldn't hold back any longer! Pulled the trigger on 3 of these bad boys. I only hope to come close to what Vega has done. Seriously, give that man a C GAR!

Where did you get them form- by the time I made up my mind TigerDirect is sold out and I won't be able to sleep tonight if I give $100 more to newegg for the same monitor. As much as i love newegg $100 is alot.

Where did you get them form- by the time I made up my mind TigerDirect is sold out and I won't be able to sleep tonight if I give $100 more to newegg for the same monitor. As much as i love newegg $100 is alot.

Order from Tiger not 30 min ago :p 400 ea

Aww damn, hope I dont get screwed. Just went back to check after I read ur post and now its unavailable... fingers crossed!

Order from Tiger not 30 min ago :p 400 ea

Aww damn, hope I dont get screwed. Just went back to check after I read ur post and now its unavailable... fingers crossed!

I looked 10 times since like 10 AM EST and each time it said that they are unavailable :(

I looked 10 times since like 10 AM EST and each time it said that they are unavailable :(

QQ

They took my order but had no stock at the time.. nice of them eh? Well, cancelled that one. do i bite the bullet and get them for more from egg? I psyched myself up already just to have my dreams squashed. :(

CompUSA claims to still have them in stock at the $400 price, but if Tigerdirect is out of stock I assume they are as well, since they probably draw from the same warehouses.

Back