Samsung S27A750D 120Hz

I also got the feeling that they were indecisive, but they did actually flat out say:

In our game testing we noticed a slight improvement, particularly during fast-paced action, by selecting the ‘Fastest’ mode.

So it is something I would like to be able to take advantage of.

I think you might be misinterpreting what they said. This at least is what I got from it - if you were keeping it outside of fastest response time mode as recommended for movies, and switched to fastest mode while in-a-game, you could experience trail artifacts of some kind. I don't really watch movies on mine, and the 3d clips I watched with fastest mode on didn't seem to suffer any huge problems. Maybe there is some judder or something I should be looking for on that. Anyway I plan to keep mine on fastest mode all the time so that "switch over to fastest while in-game because you forgot to switch before you started the game" issue is irrelevant to me. In my short experience with my monitor, I was so-so about having went for it the first few hours and I had it until I stumbled on the "fastest" mode in the OSD. To me it is a HUGE improvement and after I activated it was was like :D . It brings it out of LCD feel and more into CRT-like experience imo. I'm very happy with the purchase now. I need more time on the monitor though , I've been working a lot the last several days since I got it.

Can someone tell me if 3D CFX works with this monitor? If yes, what is the configuration peeps are using. That would be my only thing to purchase it. I currently have a single 6950 @ 6970 and am willing to spend some dough to get this monitor + another 6950/70.

Also are the glasses comfortable for someone who already wears glasses (namely me).

Another nub question. The monitor sold in my region is:
http://www.samsung.com/ae/consumer/...S/ZN/index.idx?pagetype=prd_detail&returnurl=

Is this the same one being referred here? My region also has the SA700D. What is different compared to this one?

Last edited:
Someone previous in this thread also touched on the fact that they use GPU scaling (like I do). They said that it reduced the response time of the monitor because it adds extra processing. I guess this is true. So if I want to game at 1600 x 900 I should disable GPU scaling and let the monitor do it? Or will there still be scaling to do and therefore ms goes up to about 19ms or so as stated previously.

Im confused about this! :( I don't have time to look back and quote this as I'm in work.

Any thoughts?

EDIT: ALL I care about is gaming. Nothing else.

Last edited:
I have gpu scaling turned on (amd card) on my setup in order to eliminate lag on video and games when I scroll off the 120hz primary monitor to a 60hz monitor. I haven't noticed input lag yet but I haven't had a lot of time on the monitor. I wonder if I set the other monitors to gpu scaling and leave the 120hz one not on gpu scaling if I could still avoid the lag/stuttering when I mouse over between 60hz/120hz monitors and not have to worry about the input lag on the 120hz one which is the only one I'm gaming on.

edit: just turned gpu scaling on a few monitors and not the 120hz and no video stuttering when panning mouse between monitors. I still don't know if having gpu scaling enabled on any monitor in a monitor array would cause input lag on the main 120hz monitor when gpu scaling is set to off on the 120hz one .

Last edited:
Mine arrives tomorrow. Switching GPUs just for this monitor. Have a brand new twin frozr III 570 GTX that I'm going to swap for my old HD 5870. (WTS GTX 570!!)

Well I already got the display port link failure error and the screen not in optimal resolution error already. :( Hope this was just a one time thing.
Does anyone know how I should configure settings in catalyst if I want to hook up my Samsung UN55D6000 TV? I tried duplicate display but it seems I can't run at 120hz if I do that.

Hope this was just a one time thing

iJPNTl.jpg

Still happening.

Edit: Tried on different video cards on different systems, updated drivers. Any other suggestions?

Last edited:
Has anyone tried this with a Macbook Pro? with mini dp to dp adapter? will it run at 120hz using a mbp?

Has anyone tried this with a Macbook Pro? with mini dp to dp adapter? will it run at 120hz using a mbp?

I use a mini-dp to dp converter and it works great. I dont think there is any signal change or anything so it should be fine.

iJPNTl.jpg

Still happening.

Edit: Tried on different video cards on different systems, updated drivers. Any other suggestions?

Someone had mentioned somewhere else that it was the DP cable - that the thicker the cable the better your chances of fixing this problem. I would also assume if that was the problem is could be a DP > Mini-DP adaptor causing the problem.

Can you try this and let us know?

Last edited:
Someone had mentioned somewhere else that it was the DP cable - that the thicker the cable the better your chances of fixing this problem. I would also assume if that was the problem is could be a DP > Mini-DP adaptor causing the problem.

I have a new displayport to mini-displayport on order and should be able to give some feedback.

I am currently using a cheap monoprice dp > mini-dp. I have a Accell (B119B-007J) coming.

I get the not optimum error (not frequent), and the disconnect sound when powering on the monitor.

Is it running at 120hz though? Cuz I wanna watch my HD planet earth movies in 120hz XD Really don't care much about 3D

Is it running at 120hz though? Cuz I wanna watch my HD planet earth movies in 120hz XD Really don't care much about 3D

Display Port allows 120hz and is the preferred method of connection for I would assume any situation (AMD user). I do not know anything about Macs, their ability to display 120hz or its compatibility with this display, however.

Mine arrives tomorrow. Switching GPUs just for this monitor. Have a brand new twin frozr III 570 GTX that I'm going to swap for my old HD 5870. (WTS GTX 570!!)

I would wait on that 5870 right now. There's a problem with Tridef and HD5000 series graphics cards' Displayport output. I have a 5870 crossfire setup and at the moment I'm limited to Side-by-side mode 3D with the newest Samsung-specific Tridef software, which is the only driver that gives me sequential 3D. When I try using the regular TriDef software, the monitor does not get detected as a 3D device so I have no 3D of any kind. Strangely enough, Catalyst 11.5b hotfix works with both versions of the software and I get full resolution sequential 3D. It's a bit too old for the games I'm currently playing, though.

A mod on the Tridef forums has indicated that they are aware of the issue. Link

Edit: My brain farted. I just realized you're switching to a 570. Anyhow, I'll leave this up as it's still useful info.

I don't think he is switching from 5870 to 570. It is the other way round since he says WTS GTX 570 (read: want to sell).

Looks like I'll be getting a 7970 when they're available. :D

Can you tell me the perceivable differences in games/video between sequential and side-by-side? Why is sequential preferred?

Side-by-side fits both views onto one 1080p image. Your monitor, when set to the appropriate 3D mode, splits the image, stretches each half from 960x1080 to 1920x1080, and converts that to sequential 3D for shutter glasses. This works ok for the most part, but the extra aliasing is noticeable, especially since the image was only stretched horizontally.

Sequential skips all that extra bother and sends full resolution frames. Crystal clear and crisp 3D.

I would wait on that 5870 right now. There's a problem with Tridef and HD5000 series graphics cards' Displayport output. I have a 5870 crossfire setup and at the moment I'm limited to Side-by-side mode 3D with the newest Samsung-specific Tridef software, which is the only driver that gives me sequential 3D. When I try using the regular TriDef software, the monitor does not get detected as a 3D device so I have no 3D of any kind. Strangely enough, Catalyst 11.5b hotfix works with both versions of the software and I get full resolution sequential 3D. It's a bit too old for the games I'm currently playing, though.

A mod on the Tridef forums has indicated that they are aware of the issue. Link

Edit: My brain farted. I just realized you're switching to a 570. Anyhow, I'll leave this up as it's still useful info.

I sold my gtx 570 actually. I did switch back to the HD 5870 but I don't use 3D. I'll be getting the 7970 in a few weeks.

I got the Samsung SA700D but the monitor does not offer more than 60 Hz as refresh rate. How do I fix this?
Also monitor does not switch back to 2D mode once game ends. I have to go to menu on the panel to turn off 3D. Wtf?

I have a new displayport to mini-displayport on order and should be able to give some feedback.

I am currently using a cheap monoprice dp > mini-dp. I have a Accell (B119B-007J) coming.

I get the not optimum error (not frequent), and the disconnect sound when powering on the monitor.

I've been using this cable from Monoprice. Later this morning I should be getting this adapter which I'll use with the DP cable the monitor came with. A verified review on 12/8/2011 9:46:45 AM on Newegg said the same thing about going with a thicker cable:

"Switched to a much thicker display port cable that came with the monitor and a display port to minidisplay port adapter that came with my videocard and the problem went away instantly and hasn't been back since."

So hopefully this'll do it, otherwise I await for your verdict on the Accell B119B-007J.

Edit: A quick look at the thickness difference between the stock Displayport cable and the cheapo Monoprice Displayport to Mini-Displayport cable. I'm sure you can tell which one is which.

QIJZB.jpg

Last edited:
Btw, have you guys tried the 2D-3D converter?
I was having severe issues w/ TriDef and playing games properly. Just tried NFS Run, Renegade Ops, Skyrim and Batman Arkham City w/ in built 2D-3D and wow. I am shocked. Runs without ANY PERFORMANCE HIT! And looks cool without any ghosting or other issues.

Would appreciate if someone can help me with getting TriDef working but honestly, Skyrim looks stunning, no ghosting and pegged fps.

I also fixed my 120 Hz issue since my monitor was plugged into wrong port. All in all am very happy with my SA700D. Works fantastic with AMD. No need to do CFX since built in 2D-3D converter does wonders. All in all best purchase ever for US 320 equivalent. :D

Gaming impressions.

NFS Run looks awesome with 3D. Snowflakes flying in your face and dust clouds passing by and car parts flying around makes it look stunning. I am impressed. Game runs pegged at 30 fps so 3D is super smooth.
Batman Arkham City was stunning. Almost could touch Catwoman's ass on screen and best part using in built monitor converter is that game is running in DX11, Max Settings and get no performance loss.
Skyrim, OMG. Changed pants thrice while finishing off the quest. Killing my first skeleton in 3D was epic. Flies passing by and can almost touch the grass. Again, no ghosting, no performance loss, just pure 3D bliss.
Renegade Ops looked stunning. Damn converter also correctly made the graphic novels 3D. Awesome.

Other monitor that was 27" is going for 820 US here so this is definitely a good deal and a nice upgrade.

I give it a solid 9/10.

Last edited:
When I swapped DP cables I still got the monitor dropout issue. Would be interested to see if it still happens to yours as well. It's been discussed multiple times in this thread. From what I've read it's an AMD only issue, and nvidia owners get another issue of the optimal resolution randomly changing. Hmm.

Ok. The picture is beautiful on this thing but 27" is just too damn big. How do you guys play on this?

I have a dead pixel on mine but I think I'll return it for good irregardless. I just feel like 27 is too big.

The picture is stunning though.

You say SA700D. Did you mean the 750? And what size?
No I mean SA700D (still to be released in US). It is 23" and is exactly same panel as the SA750D. However, this one has DVI-D and HDMI (implies I maybe able to do 3D Vision w/ an emulator) whereas, SA750D has DP and HDMI.

Btw 120 Hz in 2D = :eek:

This is the panel I have.

I got the Samsung SA700D but the monitor does not offer more than 60 Hz as refresh rate. How do I fix this?
Also monitor does not switch back to 2D mode once game ends. I have to go to menu on the panel to turn off 3D. Wtf?

This is the S27A750D forum ^_^

Aaaaand it just happened again despite the adapter. Sigh...

Let us know how it goes Burpy.

I purchased a mini-displayport to displayport cable off of amazon: http://www.amazon.com/DisplayPort-32AWG-Cable-Plated-Connectors/dp/B0034X6SCY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1325921182&sr=8-1and have had zero error messages. I think the issue might be with the mini displayport dongle adapter thingie.

P.S. Thanks for the headsup on this monitor. I concur that this thing is massive and I am sure I will love it!

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.

If you haven't yet, make sure to install the monitor drivers on the CD it came with. You should be have access to 120Hz after that.
On the 3D issue, I don't have a solution. It happens to me as well. Strangely I do remember it turning itself off one time, while I was messing with Catalyst drivers to get sequential 3D working. I don't remember if I was using 11.5b hotfix drivers at the time or 12.1 preview; probably the former, as it is the only driver I can get sequential 3D working at all (HD5000 series issue with Displayport/TriDef3D which is being looked into, according to a TriDef mod post).

This is the S27A750D forum ^_^

Aside from inputs, these monitors are all the same, using the same panels for their given size. He's fine in discussing problems with his monitor because they can apply for the others just the same.

Last edited:
I purchased a mini-displayport to displayport cable off of amazon: http://www.amazon.com/DisplayPort-32AWG-Cable-Plated-Connectors/dp/B0034X6SCY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1325921182&sr=8-1and have had zero error messages. I think the issue might be with the mini displayport dongle adapter thingie.

P.S. Thanks for the headsup on this monitor. I concur that this thing is massive and I am sure I will love it!

Which video card do you have?

Aaaaand it just happened again despite the adapter. Sigh...

Let us know how it goes Burpy.

I received my cable today, but they sent me a generic cable instead. It will take awhile before I can test the Accell cable.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Now, monitor reverts to 2D mode if I use the TriDef software to launch games.
Also, one more thing, how long do you press the power button to turn on the glasses. For me it seems I hold it for 10-15 seconds for it to turn on. Also do your glasses turn off everytime you switch out of the game. Because I have to turn them back on again everytime I switch games.

Any ideas. And yes, the SA700D is exactly same as SA750D apart from the DVI-D on 700 vs. DP on 750.

It only takes a quick press to turn on the glasses; holding it for that long will cause it to resync. You'll see the button turn green within a second or so of pressing it. They will turn off when you leave 3D mode.

Last edited:
Well I got the monitor today... not sure yet if I like it for gaming more than my ZR30w. Yes, it feels quicker in motion no doubt... but I still notice motion blur. And it is odd how my tri-fire 6900's could easily hold a constant 60 FPS at 2560x1600 on all ultra settings in BF3, and struggle to hold over 80 FPS at 1920x1080. Verdict is still out...

Where can I download the latest driver for this monitor? Right click on desktop and click screen res, then click on advanced, then monitor. It does come up with 120hz but as generic monitor. Maybe this is our problem too?

Anyone know of the download page @ Samsung?

Back