Samsung S22 vs. Huawei P30 photo shoot-out

Tup3x

[H]ard|Gawd
So I today decided to do some proper comparisons between the two phones. To be honest, I was pretty underwhelmed when I got the S22. It didn't feel like the camera improved at all. Now that I did a proper comparison in real word situation... I have to say that S22 is more like downgrade than upgrade at least when it comes to main camera. Contrast is unnatural, white balance is often too cool, greens do not look correct, sky is too blue and clouds look weird (and too dark). Also I prefer P30's less wide lens.

I made a mistake... I shouldn't have upgraded. Exynos 2200 turned out crap too. I should have waited another year instead of buying S22. After three years one would expect this to wipe the floor with P30 but no.

I don't know if the Snapdragon version has better processing but this Exynos version is pretty crap. When Snapdragon 8 Gen 2 phones come out, I want to get rid of this. It's not going to be easy to find a proper replacement... Most phones are ridiculously large and I have small hands. I really doubt that the image processing would improve much in S23.

S22 left, P30 right.
1_S22.jpg 1_P30.jpg
2_S22.jpg 2_P30.jpg
3_S22.jpg 3_P30.jpg
4_S22.jpg 4_P30.jpg
5_S22.jpg 5_P30.jpg
6_S22.jpg 6_P30.jpg

This one is 1:1 crop and shows rather well how Samsung's sharpening artifacts (ringing) and also shows aliasing artifacts which plague scenes where auto HDR triggered. Depending on what you are shooting, this can be quite annoying issue. In quite a few cases S22 also has issues with noise.

S22:
20220904_142457.png

P30:
IMG_20220904_142453.png

I've come to hate Samsung camera's tenacious over-processing. That said, my next phone will probably be a Samsung. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I've come to hate Samsung camera's tenacious over-processing. That said, my next phone will probably be a Samsung. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Current situation sucks... On paper Samsung is the best choice. Software support is good and the specs are usually good. I don't really like One UI and Samsungs camera processing is far from perfect. Uhh... I'd like to avoid Chinese phones but I'm somewhat interested to see how Leica + Xiaomi cameras turn out.

Uhh... I'd like to avoid Chinese phones but I'm somewhat interested to see how Leica + Xiaomi cameras turn out.

I want to see that too..

Xiaomi did a great job with Xiaomi 12 and 12 pro cameras, last year i got a bargain offer on the 12 pro (not T version) and was highly surprised on how well the 50MP Sony IMX707 sensor works.

I recently switched from oneplus to samsung s22. I like the oneplus phones a lot better. I miss having more choices in the marketplace. I loved my essential phone and LG phones. Oneplus phones are awesome but would rather have a domestic product ( i don't consider iphones made in china domestic )

There are a few areas where the S22 fares better. You complain the skies are too dark, but to me it looks like the P30 is blowing out some of the highlights in the clouds where the S22 preserves more of the detail.

With that said, I generally agree that Samsung is overdoing it. Part of why I like the iPhone these days is the option of a default photographic style (you can customize it, too) if you prefer a certain look. Think the standard shots are too warm? You can cool it down without remembering to change settings or edit shots every time.

There are a few areas where the S22 fares better. You complain the skies are too dark, but to me it looks like the P30 is blowing out some of the highlights in the clouds where the S22 preserves more of the detail.

With that said, I generally agree that Samsung is overdoing it. Part of why I like the iPhone these days is the option of a default photographic style (you can customize it, too) if you prefer a certain look. Think the standard shots are too warm? You can cool it down without remembering to change settings or edit shots every time.
It actually didn't blow out the sky. Samsung had very weird contrast that made the clouds look like there was a chance for rain. It was bright day and the clouds should have looked white. Slightly clipping the bright end would have been the correct choice because now it just made the sky and shadows too dark (with very unnatural contrast).

I zoomed in on the close-up powerline pylon and Samsung is basically low-key HDR.

I'm not sure what it is we're comparing. They honestly seem to be working very similarly optically. I think it's a matter of coating/filters and digital processing.

Who knows what the Samsung one would produce in RAW mode.
Hell, if it allows it, I'd pick it for that feature alone.
Optically nothing wrong with either one.

Back