Samsung Rumored To Launch 960 EVO SSD Next Month

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
If you’re in the market for a new M.2 drive, you might want to wait a little, as Samsung may be launching their 960 EVO in as little as a few weeks. It will reportedly be cheaper than the 950 Pro and have a black PCB.

Samsung is rumoured to be launching their new 960 Evo SSD next month, using 48-layer TLC V-NAND and their new Polaris NVMe memory controller. This SSD will come in the M.2 form factor and is rumoured to come in capacities of 128GB, 256GB, 512GB and 1TB, making this drive very similar to their new PM961 series M.2 NVMe SSD. In the past, Samsung has already released consumer oriented of their enterprise/OEM SSDs with their 950 Pro, which was a consumer grade version of their highly successful SP951 SSD. As such this 960 Evo is expected to deliver performance that is similar to Samsung's existing PM961, which uses the same TLC V-NAND and Polaris memory controller.

If it pushes M.2 prices down, great. If it doesn't perform better than the 950 Pro, meh.

Since the color of the PCB is mentioned, I wonder if a different color would help keep it cooler by reflecting IR/NIR frequencies emitted by various warm components in a case? A black colored object doesn't necessarily absorb IR/NIR, but unless it was specifically considered on something like a PCB, it probably does absorb those frequencies more than PCBs with other colors.

Since the color of the PCB is mentioned, I wonder if a different color would help keep it cooler by reflecting IR/NIR frequencies emitted by various warm components in a case? A black colored object doesn't necessarily absorb IR/NIR, but unless it was specifically considered on something like a PCB, it probably does absorb those frequencies more than PCBs with other colors.

You're telling me all those people complaining about PCB colours care about frequency absorption and not how "cool" it looks? hmm, I guess I am just a cynical bastard, then

The samsung 950 pro is already has a black PCB, so I don't see how the color thing factors in.

I have one in my main rig and PCIe interface is fast as HELL. Only way they could make it better is if it was cheaper... a lot cheaper.

Only way they could make it better is if it was cheaper... a lot cheaper.

And that's what I need.

I can't wait for 1TB SSD's to drop close to $100, and 500GB to less than $100.
That would pretty much eliminate me ever buying another spinner, except in my servers where I'm currently using 4TB+ drives.

Now, if only Dell would stop charging 2-3 times the price for an SSD in their laptops.... :mad:
It's much cheaper for me to buy the laptop with a 500GB spinner and put in my own SSD's.
I have a growing pile of 2.5" drives on my desk. Guess I need to buy another batch of cheap external USB 3 cases.

My laptop can only have one drive and while this is nice, 2TB would be better. As for pro vs EVO, if it's going into a laptop, does it really matter? My guess is not for that use case.

And that's what I need.

I can't wait for 1TB SSD's to drop close to $100, and 500GB to less than $100.
That would pretty much eliminate me ever buying another spinner, except in my servers where I'm currently using 4TB+ drives.

Now, if only Dell would stop charging 2-3 times the price for an SSD in their laptops.... :mad:
It's much cheaper for me to buy the laptop with a 500GB spinner and put in my own SSD's.
I have a growing pile of 2.5" drives on my desk. Guess I need to buy another batch of cheap external USB 3 cases.

Your use of the word spinner makes me think of this old school rap song:

lol

I agree that my laptop that I have now? no way I'd pay to upgrade SSDs - luckily my laptop supports dual M2 drives along with a 2.5" internal, was a pain in the ass to upgrade though due to that floppy ass battery pack and no access door (MSI Ghost Pro 60)

I've ditched mechanical drives in my Skylake build, but keep them around for access on a toaster. internally, it's awesome not to have any ATA or ATAPI devices finally.

That said, My SSDs are of the SATA interface variety, and I've been watiting for prices on PCI-e 3.0 x4 NVMe drives to come down. As... *ahem*.. Collegeboy69us said, the only way they could make this better would be to lower the price... a lot.

Back