Samsung Ready for Mass Production of Micro LED Displays

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
The president of Samsung’s visual display business has announced the company will soon begin mass production of The Wall, a modular display utilizing Micro LED technology. It is slated for release in September for both commercial and home entertainment use. The household version will be as thin as 30 millimeters or less.

Samsung wants The Wall to be called a display or screen -- and not a TV. By adopting the bezel-less modular type, The Wall will not come in fixed sizes and inches as other TVs. The size of The Wall can be personally adjusted by consumers to fit their space by selecting the number of display pieces they want to attach onto a wall in any shape.

Pass, start producing oled displays instead.

OLED still has too many drawbacks. On small screens it is fine, actually great......on large screens it is just not as good as LCD when you factor it all together.

This is all I want.

1: True blacks
2: No burn in
3: Scalar chip is not a potato and does what it's advertised as (4k 120HZ) with no shenanigans like chroma subsampling
4: DP and HDMI

Bonus:
Don't screw everyone with a small office/dorm/apartment and make it in a 49/50" option

This is huge news and what I've been waiting for! I'm guessing the initial cost is going to be insane, though.

Fine on small screens just as long as you replace it for $600 to $1000 every two years before you notice all the burn in.

lol - spoken like someone who has never owned the thing they are commenting on. My parents OLEDs (they got a second a few months after their first - that's how much they liked them) are over a year old now and my dad, in particular, watches lots of news channels with channel bugs and crawlers and there isn't any visible burn in. Probably because the screens do things like microshifing and such to minimize their effects. It's true if you put a gray screen up you might be able to see some faint images. Good thing they don't watch gray screens all day :)

Not that I'm poo pooing micro-LEDs. I think they are going to be the ultimate tech, once they become affordable. It will be interesting to see the prices on "The Wall". I have a huge 25' wide by 21' high in my living room and if I could cover the majority of it in a screen that would be awesome. I've entertained some thoughts on how to put a projector and screen in, but if I could just hang a bunch of modules and be done with it - even better!

But right now if I had to replace my plasma, I'd do it with OLED in a heart beat.

I'm guessing the initial cost is going to be insane, though.
I would agree. Especially when the article states:
...for both commercial and home entertainment use -- slated for September, targeting hotels, shops, stadiums, museums, convention centers and luxury mansions...

The upcoming household version of The Wall will be as thin as 30 millimeters or less, Han said, calling it “luxury” for home entertainment.

i get the image of the wall displays like we saw in total recall, or the like, scifi. that will be neat once they get issues, and cost, worked out. Would love to have an entire wall, or walls, a screen like that to change the scenery on demand.

Reactions: N4CR
like this
I'll reserve judgement until they get into the wild and we can play with them. As a technology, it appears to have some potential.

Shame this wasn't out when Sansa Clip series were made, they used blue OLED and went bad after a year or two depending on how you charged it.
Leave it plugged into a PC and the screen stays on, plug it into a 5v charger and screen auto off at your preset timer.....

lol - spoken like someone who has never owned the thing they are commenting on.

Reading comprehension. reply was to "Small screen" like you know what is otherwise called a phone. Want to see the youtube app border and notification bar burned in my Samsung. LOL

By the time my OLED is worn out this technology should be affordable. Now we just need Sony to start selling their CLEDIS display as well.

Deputy-Cletus-Hogg-the-dukes-of-hazzard-30209086-267-314.jpg

Last edited:
Use enough tiles and you have a 200" screen that is just over 1" thick.

How exactly do you drive all those tiles? What resolution is each tile? Where exactly is the device that will drive a random number of these "tiles, aka monitors". Sounds like standard PR talking about something they dont know and switching words around, with "better" words...

Edit: not you, the original announcement.

This microLED stuff everyone is talking about...is that the same as QLED or is this something different?

For now, I'm probably going to grab an OLED this summer or fall, but a true LED screen is interesting and by the time I get another TV, it will probably be affordable. Also, if this doesn't require a screen over the LEDs, then the days of worrying about reflections will be over.

This microLED stuff everyone is talking about...is that the same as QLED or is this something different?
Literally what it sounds like, using individual very tiny LEDs as the units of colors/pixels. They couldnt get LEDs small enough within budget,... limits. OLED is actually a more complex multi-layer setup. This is literally what it sounds like, from what I've read.

Literally what it sounds like, using individual very tiny LEDs as the units of colors/pixels. They couldnt get LEDs small enough within budget,... limits. OLED is actually a more complex multi-layer setup. This is literally what it sounds like, from what I've read.
Lol that didn't really answer my question.
Does MicroLED = QLED?

Lol that didn't really answer my question.
Does MicroLED = QLED?
I saw an O, instead of a Q... :D I think the real difference in all this stuff is whether it is its own light source(OLED, microLED) vs needing a backlight (LCD, QLED).

There some really good features in MicroLED but what I heard is that the demo at CES 2018 required a lot of power. Also the supposedly smallest version is 73 inches. Not to sure if that will fit in a normal persons budget when it will be released.

This could be interesting. Will have to see how it works in reality.

I wonder how large each "piece" is, and what the resolution of each "piece" is.

Can it display Crysis???

What Samdung forgets to warn everybody about is the home use one will require proper venting of the MASSIVE AMOUNT OF HEAT that comes with this AWESOME video wall. It's worse from what people have seen in person than Plasma in it's first couple of years.

No, what this just did is put all the projector companies on notice. Either get your LED and Laser based TRUE 4K products to market sooner or become irrelevant in by 2020/21. Hope they can speed up the shrinking process on the overall technology and get the heat brought down. Really sick of the Home Theater Market getting shafted with JVC/EPSON E-SHIFT version 15, faux 4K but we have better blacks assholes. Or DLP Quad shifted .66, oops, .47 XPR I SEE RAINBOWS Better Sharpness but contrast blows market.

Fuck it. Just give me one now. I will hook up a swamp fan in the room it's in.

lol - spoken like someone who has never owned the thing they are commenting on. My parents OLEDs (they got a second a few months after their first - that's how much they liked them) are over a year old now and my dad, in particular, watches lots of news channels with channel bugs and crawlers and there isn't any visible burn in. Probably because the screens do things like microshifing and such to minimize their effects. It's true if you put a gray screen up you might be able to see some faint images. Good thing they don't watch gray screens all day :)

Not that I'm poo pooing micro-LEDs. I think they are going to be the ultimate tech, once they become affordable. It will be interesting to see the prices on "The Wall". I have a huge 25' wide by 21' high in my living room and if I could cover the majority of it in a screen that would be awesome. I've entertained some thoughts on how to put a projector and screen in, but if I could just hang a bunch of modules and be done with it - even better!

But right now if I had to replace my plasma, I'd do it with OLED in a heart beat.

A: most ppl have their product to stand more than a year.s so 1 years results are really not a good negative confirm test.
b: " It's true if you put a gray screen up you might be able to see some faint images" so confirming positively that there is already some amount of burn after only 1 years.

You are basically confirming what the people you are arguing against are saying.
but let me quote what they said :Fine on small screens just as long as you replace it for $600 to $1000 every two years before you notice all the burn in."
Your argument is that they are wrong because there is already evidence of burn after 1 year?

Please come back and update after another year when you are actually having the things they talk about if you want to claim the "ownership" card.

Cool, this will be affordable by the time my kids throw something through my current TV or it fails...as thats the only way I'm replacing it

No not in the slightest.

QLED = Fancy LCD
MicroLED = 3 LED light bulbs for each pixel, better contrast than OLED possible.
This is what I was thinking but I wasn't sure because before a few days ago I had not heard of MicroLED.

I saw an O, instead of a Q... :D I think the real difference in all this stuff is whether it is its own light source(OLED, microLED) vs needing a backlight (LCD, QLED).
I thought that might be the case. ;) All good.

This is what I have been waiting for a long time.
Best part, you can break off part of the TV or downsize if you want two for a while if you have enough panel.
No more burn in.
No more clamping bullshit. No more shitty panel QC, dust, dead pixels, colour shift etc etc etc. If a microLED dies, just replace the tile. Boom.
Looks like I may hold off until 2nd gen and see where these go.

This is what I have been waiting for a long time.
Best part, you can break off part of the TV or downsize if you want two for a while if you have enough panel.
No more burn in.
No more clamping bullshit. No more shitty panel QC, dust, dead pixels, colour shift etc etc etc. If a microLED dies, just replace the tile. Boom.
Looks like I may hold off until 2nd gen and see where these go.

And how does the signal/video get to each tile? Is there a super master switch/controller that can handle a 16K wall that you need to buy? What if you're only using a 4k wall to start, do you need to buy a better switch? So you need one cable per tile to the master switch? Also, flat out, you dont want any resolution other than 1:1, or 2:1,.. simple multiple of 1080p. Maybe whatever the super cinema 22:9? is. You can't go creating random sizes. Your video will look like garbage when scaled. Fine for sports games, but not all content.

Or is everything built-in to each tile/monitor, in that case, how many hops does a signal have to jump through to get to its final destination. The added latency, i guess is totally fine for the standard 24fps movies, but how about a little console action?

Here is a big huge one, the variance in current monitors/TVs is pretty huge. How are you going to insure you get matching tiles, without expensive, on site, professional re-calibration. Also, there is definitely some change in colors as panels age. You will need some kind of calibration if you want to replace a 5 year old broken tile.

I think it's all PR right now.

On other hand, if they can use little tiles at factory to reduce costs and sell me one good factory calibrated/tested big panel....

And how does the signal/video get to each tile? Is there a super master switch/controller that can handle a 16K wall that you need to buy? What if you're only using a 4k wall to start, do you need to buy a better switch? So you need one cable per tile to the master switch? Also, flat out, you dont want any resolution other than 1:1, or 2:1,.. simple multiple of 1080p. Maybe whatever the super cinema 22:9? is. You can't go creating random sizes. Your video will look like garbage when scaled. Fine for sports games, but not all content.

Or is everything built-in to each tile/monitor, in that case, how many hops does a signal have to jump through to get to its final destination. The added latency, i guess is totally fine for the standard 24fps movies, but how about a little console action?

Here is a big huge one, the variance in current monitors/TVs is pretty huge. How are you going to insure you get matching tiles, without expensive, on site, professional re-calibration. Also, there is definitely some change in colors as panels age. You will need some kind of calibration if you want to replace a 5 year old broken tile.

I think it's all PR right now.

On other hand, if they can use little tiles at factory to reduce costs and sell me one good factory calibrated/tested big panel....
I've worked around mini LED walls for over a decade. They're all pretty similar but we are talking stuff that's touring stage sized.

I would guess they will go similar route to the dual cable dell.
There will be a 'base tile' which has the scaler and other components, inputs, and a bus that connects through them to pass data. For very large e.g. 8k maybe it'll be split to operate as two screens like the dell.
Perhaps same with high speed driving of 4k e.g. 4k120.
The big ones I worked around were heavy and had a massive metal frame at the back and the same 'panel segment' type construction. They basically laid panels in and connected a shit load of cables to the rear. each panel was about 30x30-40x40cm and had about 6 cables each, about 7-10cm thick. Solid things with far higher power requirements

This will just be the consumer version with some sort of high speed bus/connector built into the tile. Or, perhaps you link cables behind them to each segment, this would avoid lag within reason.
Calling it now, main killer will be the same as that of the outdoor/large ones. Moisture. Whenever it rains one or two of those bloody tiles would screw up.

But I agree, there is much that needs to be addressed. Considering they're making noise about them and the tech exists in high end entertainment industry for a decade, it likely won't be vapourware.

edit: they could even be split at the signal level, e.g. LVDS or whatever they use, with power terminals to each block with it's own driving controller. Signals are delayed as required, maybe you have total 1-3ms input lag max + scaler etc anything else upstream.

I seem to remember oled was going to be a cheap technology.. instead it is quite expensive right now. I agree the drawbacks are a big issue.... They dont age too well.. .. this micro led idea seems cool.. i do like the idea of a wall sized screen fore sure.

As you know, screen size is directly proportional to what the viewing distance is. The further away from a screen the larger it needs to be to have the same image size and quality as when sitting closer to a smaller screen.

Companies can sell larger and larger screens because desires are never satiated ... people always want more and more even though in the case of screens more isn't more unless you can sit far away enough to make the extra screen size count

Back