Samsung Readies 49-Inch 5120x1440 120Hz Display Panels for Gaming Monitors

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Following the release of their 49” 3840x1080 CHG90, Samsung appears to be investing further in these types of super-wide displays. The company’s latest panel development plans allude to new curved ultra-wides ranging from 34” to 49” with 18.5:9 and 32:9 aspect ratios. One panel will allegedly feature “dual quad HD” 5120x1440 resolution, with a 120Hz refresh rate.

It will also boast an 1800R curvature, because let's face it, a curved panel makes sense when you're talking about a 49-inch display monitor for PC gaming. Curved panels are of questionable value on smaller size displays, but for a super-wide monitor like the CHG90 and whatever other 49-inch monitors are in the pipeline, it can make things easier on your peripheral vision.

i'm interested. Hopefully these are HDR too.

Have a Samsung CF791 Curved Widescreen (21:9) monitor now and it's been great

Make a 4K of this and then we'll talk. 5120x2160... you'd need a Titan to push games but it would be awesome.

Reactions: N4CR
like this
That's exactly the size of two 27" QHD monitors side by side. Might be interesting in 4-5 years when it will be reasonably priced.

Make a 4K of this and then we'll talk. 5120x2160... you'd need a Titan to push games but it would be awesome.

The point is that it's a double wide monitor for gaming.

2160 vertical would be too hard to push at 120hz
5120 x 2160horizontal would make it more like a 21:9

I get it if people say they want IPS instead of VA or G-sync instead of Freesync, but you're describing a completely different product in every way.

These are like sports cars and people are complaining that they suck at hauling lumber.

I currently use triple monitors... 58 inches wide. Maybe when I am rich and famous I can get a 32x9 2xUHD monitor when those finally come out for $10k.

I still say they need to make one that goes 200 degree's so there is complete peripheral vision involved. It can be like VR only without the googles. I say if you're gonna do this, do it right and right from the start.

The point is that it's a double wide monitor for gaming.

2160 vertical would be too hard to push at 120hz
5120 x 2160horizontal would make it more like a 21:9

I get it if people say they want IPS instead of VA or G-sync instead of Freesync, but you're describing a completely different product in every way.

These are like sports cars and people are complaining that they suck at hauling lumber.

Not really. More like they want a nice interior, clean windows and paint on the car.

$5799.99 later and you too can reserve one! Only $12389.79 final price minus your 5799 deposit.

That's a lot better than their 49" at 1080p and I could be mildly interested but I doubt the price would convince me.

What I'm really waiting for is a 5120x2160 ultra wide in ~40" at least 120hz and possibly HDR and gsync ideally under 1000$.
Maybe by 2020 that'll be possible.

Last edited:
I hope they've improved their return/repair operations for this.

This customers complaint for the older 49inch scares me.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/cr/B072C7TNC5/ref=mw_dp_cr

Looks very good, tons of work space, equivalent to 2 1080P monitors better for gaming cards than higher resolution monitors that require more pixels be pushed. Great for productivity.

Cons:
Terrible customer service. Ordered mine directly from Samsung, noticed failed pixel day 1. 1 chat, 2 emails, and 7 phonecalls (1.5 hrs min each) across 5 days they finally tell me they don't do RMA and I have to return for full refund and reorder. Ok, let's go that route. I'm then told I'll receive an email in 3 days for RMA....OK.. when I get my email, I'm told that the backlog of RMA is so great it'll take up to 2wks to get my RMA number and shipping label. What?!

In this time, my monitor starts refusing to wake up, will not even show the BIOS. You have to turn it down to display port 1.1 even though my card supports 1.4. device seems to prefer miniDP and they sent non locking cables. After connecting a second computer to HDMI, now monitor won't show anything from ANY input. I moved the second computer to a TV, works fine. Only one computer connected, I'm now trying to resolve the issue, I go into the OSD, auto detect inputs is annoying and terrible, I change freesync settings and monitor turns off and won't come on, reseat power, go into OSD do it again, same issue! This monitor makes me hate Samsung, but when it comes to freesync, this is my best option especially as I wait for VEGA.

Their OSD looks great, but it doesn't matter if the monitor runs like crap. Is it worth 1500+tax? NO, HECK NO. Unless you're 100% sure and you're willing to deal with trouble, I say avoid like the plague. If your willing to fight the monitor until it's working and plan to never change the settings, inputs, etc. and you need the screen real estate for super ultra wide gaming with AMD freesync2, pull the trigger.

UPDATE:
I've been working with Samsung Customer support since Sept 18th trying to get this thing replaced/refunded/repaired. It is now Nov 2nd. Still nothing. They've promised me an RMA label 3 times, first time telling me it takes 15 business days, second time, they were "sending a truck for pickup", third time, they didn't know what the other person was thinking and they were sorry, it would be 3-5 business days for RMA label, 4th time got supervisor (Rise ID:126) who admitted samsung RMA dept is having an issue for the past month and is having problems when trying to generate RMA labels and I'm not the only one affected and there is NO ETA of when my RMA label will arrive.

I contacted other teams was escalated to ECR who got me a service ticket for repair. Few days later repair ticket cancelled because they don't work on this kind of monitor. Contact them again, give ECR ticket, they try another facility, same issue, few days later they cancel the ticket. Contact them again, they want me to ship the monitor to the other side of the US for repair. NO, NO MORE. its been over 1.5months of trying to get my $1644.36 . I'm talking with ECR right now. I'm being told again, to wait for an RMA label again. I've emailed [email protected] (was completely ignored) , I've contacted multiple depts. I've used chat, email, and phone. Doesn't appear to go anywhere. Even after I get the RMA label, I'll still have to wait 2wks for a refund. so it'll be over 2 months that samsung has kept my money.

UPDATE 2:
Ok so in December they sent someone to my house to replace the panel. 3rd party tech from USSI, guy is awesome. Panel replaced, dead pixels will remain. Uh oh. "It's either the driver board or ribbon cables. Either way, they'll just send a replacement". Ok, SGTM. Tech takes pictures for documentation proof. Get a reply shortly after. Tech leaves, they are going to replace the monitor. Great! Wait a week, what's going on? Call Samsung to check, Samsung cancelled the replacement. What why? They want pictures as proof of dead pixels. I tell them their technician took pics on their behalf and they have pictures. Ticket reopened. Wait another week, call back, same issue. Cancelled ticket again, same BS reply, I give them hell. They reopen ticket and apologized. They'll contact the tech. OK... Check again a week later. Closed again. I'm furious, I ask to be escalated. They send me to an ECR mgr. I give the ticket number. She starts reading, before finishing she immediately starts apologizing, she's shocked how bad this has gone and for how long. She finishes reading, apologizes again and tells shell handle it. It's the week before Christmas. Sure enough, I get an email and phone call to expect a delivery first Friday of January and they'll swap out the units. It happens! New monitor has none of the glitchiness, no dead pixels, main DP port works fine including 1.2 and up support! Monitor now wakes up appropriately.

It was a long journey. It's over. I still love the monitor. It was a PITA getting a working one, but all in all I still would have bought this Monitor.

DO NOT BUY FROM SAMSUNG E-COMMERCE! God help you if you have a warranty issue outside return time.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Reactions: N4CR
like this
I have the dell 34 inch curved and it's been great for gaming....when the game supports the aspect ratio

Yeah, with HDR and GSYNC I'd be all in. Or I'm really hoping Nvidia supports the HDMI 2.1 game mode VRR so we can do away with the expensive proprietary stuff.

Hoping Freesync 2 here. My 290x is doing fine @ 3440 x 1440 and i'll probably getting a Vega once the price is reasonable again.

4800x1739 resolution 120Hz HDR 2.76:1 aspect ratio curved 46" display would be incredible if that become a thing.

That's exactly the size of two 27" QHD monitors side by side. Might be interesting in 4-5 years when it will be reasonably priced.
Might be interesting in 4-5 years when a mid range Radeon can push the display at >100fps.

I hope they've improved their return/repair operations for this.

This customers complaint for the older 49inch scares me.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/cr/B072C7TNC5/ref=mw_dp_cr

Looks very good, tons of work space, equivalent to 2 1080P monitors better for gaming cards than higher resolution monitors that require more pixels be pushed. Great for productivity.

Cons:
Terrible customer service. Ordered mine directly from Samsung, noticed failed pixel day 1. 1 chat, 2 emails, and 7 phonecalls (1.5 hrs min each) across 5 days they finally tell me they don't do RMA and I have to return for full refund and reorder. Ok, let's go that route. I'm then told I'll receive an email in 3 days for RMA....OK.. when I get my email, I'm told that the backlog of RMA is so great it'll take up to 2wks to get my RMA number and shipping label. What?!

In this time, my monitor starts refusing to wake up, will not even show the BIOS. You have to turn it down to display port 1.1 even though my card supports 1.4. device seems to prefer miniDP and they sent non locking cables. After connecting a second computer to HDMI, now monitor won't show anything from ANY input. I moved the second computer to a TV, works fine. Only one computer connected, I'm now trying to resolve the issue, I go into the OSD, auto detect inputs is annoying and terrible, I change freesync settings and monitor turns off and won't come on, reseat power, go into OSD do it again, same issue! This monitor makes me hate Samsung, but when it comes to freesync, this is my best option especially as I wait for VEGA.

Their OSD looks great, but it doesn't matter if the monitor runs like crap. Is it worth 1500+tax? NO, HECK NO. Unless you're 100% sure and you're willing to deal with trouble, I say avoid like the plague. If your willing to fight the monitor until it's working and plan to never change the settings, inputs, etc. and you need the screen real estate for super ultra wide gaming with AMD freesync2, pull the trigger.

UPDATE:
I've been working with Samsung Customer support since Sept 18th trying to get this thing replaced/refunded/repaired. It is now Nov 2nd. Still nothing. They've promised me an RMA label 3 times, first time telling me it takes 15 business days, second time, they were "sending a truck for pickup", third time, they didn't know what the other person was thinking and they were sorry, it would be 3-5 business days for RMA label, 4th time got supervisor (Rise ID:126) who admitted samsung RMA dept is having an issue for the past month and is having problems when trying to generate RMA labels and I'm not the only one affected and there is NO ETA of when my RMA label will arrive.

I contacted other teams was escalated to ECR who got me a service ticket for repair. Few days later repair ticket cancelled because they don't work on this kind of monitor. Contact them again, give ECR ticket, they try another facility, same issue, few days later they cancel the ticket. Contact them again, they want me to ship the monitor to the other side of the US for repair. NO, NO MORE. its been over 1.5months of trying to get my $1644.36 . I'm talking with ECR right now. I'm being told again, to wait for an RMA label again. I've emailed [email protected] (was completely ignored) , I've contacted multiple depts. I've used chat, email, and phone. Doesn't appear to go anywhere. Even after I get the RMA label, I'll still have to wait 2wks for a refund. so it'll be over 2 months that samsung has kept my money.

UPDATE 2:
Ok so in December they sent someone to my house to replace the panel. 3rd party tech from USSI, guy is awesome. Panel replaced, dead pixels will remain. Uh oh. "It's either the driver board or ribbon cables. Either way, they'll just send a replacement". Ok, SGTM. Tech takes pictures for documentation proof. Get a reply shortly after. Tech leaves, they are going to replace the monitor. Great! Wait a week, what's going on? Call Samsung to check, Samsung cancelled the replacement. What why? They want pictures as proof of dead pixels. I tell them their technician took pics on their behalf and they have pictures. Ticket reopened. Wait another week, call back, same issue. Cancelled ticket again, same BS reply, I give them hell. They reopen ticket and apologized. They'll contact the tech. OK... Check again a week later. Closed again. I'm furious, I ask to be escalated. They send me to an ECR mgr. I give the ticket number. She starts reading, before finishing she immediately starts apologizing, she's shocked how bad this has gone and for how long. She finishes reading, apologizes again and tells shell handle it. It's the week before Christmas. Sure enough, I get an email and phone call to expect a delivery first Friday of January and they'll swap out the units. It happens! New monitor has none of the glitchiness, no dead pixels, main DP port works fine including 1.2 and up support! Monitor now wakes up appropriately.

It was a long journey. It's over. I still love the monitor. It was a PITA getting a working one, but all in all I still would have bought this Monitor.

DO NOT BUY FROM SAMSUNG E-COMMERCE! God help you if you have a warranty issue outside return time.

***1 bad review , don't know about that , mine has been rock solid. I came from 3 x 1080 p Asus 27 inchers to this , and love it. The colors and brightness are incredible , gaming on it is a blast , the 3 quick keys are awesome and I have none of the hassle of running triple screens. I am kinda pissed that they are releasing a better one with G-sync , but at the 3840x1080 , I have yet to need it , frame rates are great with 980ti in SLI. Got mine on sale from Amazon for about 800 and would do it again.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
1440 or 1080 pixels high is a non-starter. going wider and wider is fine, but if you don't add horizontal space, your missing out on necessary space for productivity and immersion in gaming. Sigh............

I'm currently running at 2560x1440 with a GTX 1080Ti w/o g-sync and feel it's the sweet spot for productivity and gaming. Going up to 5120x1440 would absolutely need g-sync since it would be pushing a million pixels shy of 4k and we all know what those BMs look like. So unless your with team red, us greenies will have to have a 1180Ti to consider this monitor, unless OC, it does have a g-sync version. That said, it's really nice to see that my dream monitor is not that far away in the future.

1440 or 1080 pixels high is a non-starter. going wider and wider is fine, but if you don't add horizontal space, your missing out on necessary space for productivity and immersion in gaming. Sigh............
I don't want scaling on my display so 1440 is just fine for me. May be 1600, but any more resolution and it would need either scaling or a screen too big to be comfortable. I've tried a 43" 4K display for desktop and it was a horrible disaster.

This is looking good.

I find the wide screen does much more with ESO/MMO/RPG type games then POE/Grim Dawn. Imo

I don't want scaling on my display so 1440 is just fine for me. May be 1600, but any more resolution and it would need either scaling or a screen too big to be comfortable. I've tried a 43" 4K display for desktop and it was a horrible disaster.

I have a 40" 4k TV as a monitor and it's great. I don't know that I'd want an ultra-wide.

I'd rather have the GPU power to push a higher resolution than deal with scaling issues. Also, I don't just play games. As a result, displays limited in regard to vertical space aren't even considered for purchase. I've tried such displays before and hated them almost immediately.

I'd rather have the GPU power to push a higher resolution than deal with scaling issues. Also, I don't just play games. As a result, displays limited in regard to vertical space aren't even considered for purchase. I've tried such displays before and hated them almost immediately.
But scaling is exactly an issue when not gaming. all modern game uis scale with resolution, but not all apps do, and some have so tiny fonts that it makes them impossible to use at larger ppi. My problem is that a 2160 high screen is too tall if the pixels are large enough for all apps. I don't want to tilt my head up and down while using the computer. And I don't want to sit further back either as that defeats the purpose of a larger resolution anyway.

But scaling is exactly an issue when not gaming. all modern game uis scale with resolution, but not all apps do, and some have so tiny fonts that it makes them impossible to use at larger ppi. My problem is that a 2160 high screen is too tall if the pixels are large enough for all apps. I don't want to tilt my head up and down while using the computer. And I don't want to sit further back either as that defeats the purpose of a larger resolution anyway.

Pixel count has nothing to do with this. You are confusing the relationship between pixel count and monitor size. You can have two monitors of the same resolution at more than one size. If you were talking about using a 55" or larger screen at your desk I would agree with you. Even the 49" monitor is borderline for me, however 40-43" monitors don't create this problem for me at the distances I sit. In fact, when seated properly and not slouching or sitting at an odd angle I can use a 49" and see the entire image and read text on it in applications. Your largely incoherent statement concerning pixels and applications, can only refer to application font scaling if I understand you correctly. This isn't an issue for desktop applications. If you are talking about 4K monitors at smaller sizes then I would agree that font scaling in applications and games can be problematic. I don't use any additional font scaling at 3840x2160 at 49" but using pathetically small 27" and 32" monitor it would certainly be an issue. At 49", the only game that suffered from font scaling issues that I can think of off hand is Mass Effect 3. Oddly, 1, 2, and Andromeda work properly but ME3 doesn't. I've modified the game to fix this issue. Even then, the HUD elements were still visible, even if a little small. On a significantly smaller display, I would agree with you.

I don't think 4K or greater resolutions are necessarily the best option in some cases. As I've said, with smaller monitors it doesn't make much sense. In that context I can agree that a smaller resolution would be preferable given the issues that go with application font scaling or in game HUD scaling.

I use a 3 monitor setup. and I want to reduce that to one monitor. Obviously good software for dividing the screen in many virtual screens is a must.

I know that I am not alone on this.,a couple of my friends have been waiting for big monitors that can replace multi-monitor setups for years now.

In 2007 I went to 27 16:10
In 2014 I went to 32 16:9

For 2018 a 49" 32:9 (two 27" 16:9 side by side) won't cut it. I am not going back to a glorified 27" no matter how wide they make it.

A 59" 32:9 5120x1440 would be close to two 32" 16:9 side by side and it would be ok for everyday use without scaling problems. and playable with a 1080Ti

I use a 3 monitor setup. and I want to reduce that to one monitor. Obviously good software for dividing the screen in many virtual screens is a must.

I know that I am not alone on this.,a couple of my friends have been waiting for big monitors that can replace multi-monitor setups for years now.

In 2007 I went to 27 16:10
In 2014 I went to 32 16:9

For 2018 a 49" 32:9 (two 27" 16:9 side by side) won't cut it. I am not going back to a glorified 27" no matter how wide they make it.

A 59" 32:9 5120x1440 would be close to two 32" 16:9 side by side and it would be ok for everyday use without scaling problems. and playable with a 1080Ti

I used a 3x30" 7680x1600 setup for years so I know where you are coming from. However, the lack of vertical pixel height is disappointing.

Back