Samsung QVO budget drives

Comixbooks

Fully [H]
Is anyone running these? Thinking of picking up X2 2TB drives
some of the reviews have me worried but they look good for the majority of the reviews on Amazon.

Last edited:
For storage purposes they are fine, compared to hard drives they are much better of course, but performance suffers compared to TLC drives. I wouldn't use them as a system drive. For a game volume though, I don't know if there would be a real world performance difference vs a TLC drive.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/13633/the-samsung-860-qvo-ssd-review/4

For that current price bracket I would get Crucial MX500 TLC drives instead of those. When the QVOs first hit the market they were cheaper, but the prices have raised, my guess is that the majority of people don't know they are buying an inferior product, just because it's newer in a pretty silver shell.

Last edited:

I found this link shows basically it loads games at the same pace as regular SSDs.

It has the same controller as the 860 EVO but uses QLC instead of TLC. It has a somewhat limited SLC cache (static + dynamic) after which it hits lower speeds (~160 MB/s). Generally I consider it overpriced; you can get 4TB 5100 ECO for <$375 for example.

Back