Samsung PLS - s27a850d - fantastic.

I guess you must have a defective (?) monitor. The first pic, although camera pics tend to emphasize the problem, doesnt seem good at all. Tbh i have never seen anything else than my 5 years old 24" TN monitor. You may be right, but in all honesty i cant imagine better colors than these. If you see the contrast between black and white, at this moment i write the post, is unbelievable. I am not saying ofc that there are no better blacks. What i say though is to force them to change your monitor, its sad to give so much money and not have a fully working product.

I lost 20 hours of my time talking to reps etc... they are all sold and say this is within spec...
It's clearly because they was so many return for this that they decided to accept return no more for this defect..

Anyway this monitor is back to directcanada...I wasn't even able to keep it in my house it made me want to puke. In my opinion, they stole 140$ from me.. on a 450$ buy from one of the biggest companies...

and now i'm stuck since all monitors seems to sucks, i will have to buy an 1400$ + tx EIZO before it's too late and samsung discontinu their S-PVA panels

As a recent purchaser of the S27A850D (you can see a post of mine on page 3) I must agree with djsinae that it was much brighter than I anticipated. I have lowered the contrast and brightness very low but the blacks are not too black. Ironically I was also upgrading from my old 2405 which has great blacks. So I do agree that the reviewers out there didn't make it clear that this was a very bright monitor.

That said everything else about the monitor is pretty solid so I will keep it. I'd say it deserves a 7/10. Just kinda wished I held out for the next generation 120hz, or higher contrast monitor. :eek:

Out of the box i have to admit that brightness was too much, default setting is 100. After lowering to 20 it was great, but since you tried it, it makes no difference. Do you both have issues JUST with black, or with every color? I would really like to see the black quality of the 2405 you mention. Or maybe not, since it will create me the same problem like yours :p

What brightness was the monitor at when you took these cell phone pix, djsinae?

And, no we don't have an aversion to others' problems, we're actually trying to help you figure this out, because judging from these photos, even with the camera's exagerration (as ChaosAD also mentioned) the black looks really bad.

What brightness was the monitor at when you took these cell phone pix, djsinae?

And, no we don't have an aversion to others' problems, we're actually trying to help you figure this out, because judging from these photos, even with the camera's exagerration (as ChaosAD also mentioned) the black looks really bad.

Ya it's almost like he us running it on something outputting video levels (16-235) as opposed to PC levels (0-255).

If you run on video levels to a device expecting PC levels, then your black of (16) will look terrible.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_level

Does Samsung have problems producing this monitor? I ordered mine 13.2 and now the new shipping estimate is 19.3, more than month. It's out of stock everywhere and it takes this long.. I need my monitor.

0.16 cd/m2 black at 120 cd/m2 luminance is terrible and gray, but nothing unusual for LCDs.

Do you see any judder on your S27A850D displays with 24/30/60fps video-clips? I've got the problem with judder on my display!

There's no judder on other displays with this kind of clips. If the display is set to 50Hz, the playback of clips with 25/50fps is without any judder. It's the same @48Hz with 24fps clips, but 30/60fps clips show judder @60Hz, always.

Back