Samsung Plans To Slash SSD Prices To Hard Drive Levels By 2020

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
The company’s 3D NAND production will supposedly make this long-awaited dream a reality. While only 48-layer NAND was just announced, Samsung may need 64- or 96-layer NAND to hit cost targets.

Right now, SSDs generally cost between 20-50 cents/GB depending on capacity, NAND type, and form factor. Conventional 1TB hard drives are down to about 4 cents per GB, though this also varies depending on make and model. 1TB drives aren’t always the most cost-effective option — as manufacturers move to higher platter densities, it wouldn’t surprise us to see 2TB – 4TB drives offering higher capacities at a lower price per GB. Delivering a 512GB SSD at a $40 price means a significant cost reduction between now and 2020; Samsung needs to cut the current price of NAND storage by roughly two-thirds to hit its target.

They would also do well to start working on power use.

One of the great promises of flash technology was that it would be able to store data at a fraction of the power usage of a mechanical spinning disc, but as time goes on, SSD's just seem to get hotter and use more power, despite having no moving parts.

They would also do well to start working on power use.

One of the great promises of flash technology was that it would be able to store data at a fraction of the power usage of a mechanical spinning disc, but as time goes on, SSD's just seem to get hotter and use more power, despite having no moving parts.

Well the m.2 drives are so tiny that its definitely going to be a bit toasty.

Getting a 512GB SSD for the price of a 1Tb Hdd is not too bad, but I would love to see some higher capacity drives as in multiple Tb of space at an affordable price.

Well lets not kid ourselves, platter drives aren't pennies on the dollar because they want to be. They have to be.

So does anybody know how long the data will actually last on an SSD if you just fill it up and unplug it and leave it in a drawer?

I still keep a conventional hard drives as backup over SSD as when something goes wrong you have better chance at recovery the data

Yeah, right. They'll simply keep releasing some new type of NAND, controller, or form factor while putting their marketing team to task with creating a big and shiny advertising campaign to "justify" charging a premium for them.

I'm just hoping HDD manufacturers slash HDD prices to HDD levels by 2020!
This fake HDD inflation has to end.

Just give me a 500gb (formatted) drive with the reliability of Intel drives, with power off write protection... For under 200$ and I'm sold. Also, in Canada.

Back