Samsung Offers to Supply Foldable Displays to Apple and Google

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Sharing is caring: Korean IT news site ETNews is reporting Samsung has provided samples of its foldable display to Apple and Google, which will certainly make it easier for these giants to develop Galaxy Fold-type devices of their own, presuming they care to. MacRumors points out the former has been working on its own iteration of foldable-display technology, but if that doesn’t pan out, Apple can simply do business with Samsung.

Samsung has historically been both supplier and competitor to Apple and other smartphone manufacturers and provides the OLED screens for Apple's top of the line iPhones. According to the report, Samsung doesn't intend to keep foldable technology to itself and is instead working to dominate as a supplier for the technology. Samsung is said to be able to produced about 2.4 million units a year at this time but is considering moving up to 10 million units a year depending on demand.

Sharing is caring, but Samsung wants to stay the big kid on the block:

Samsung sent Apple a "7.2-inch size foldable panel. 7.2 inches is 0.1 inches smaller than the Samsung Folder 'Galaxy Fold'."

Who wants a **tiny** 7.2 inch folder when Samsung is 7.3 inches of shiny?

Size matters. ;)

yea well they need to take advantage of whatever opportunity arises. They got their tech stolen, now is the time to lock in exclusivity deals before the chinese companies do.

Courteous of Samsung to share their technology yet it remains to be seen if the foldable screen stands the test of time. Most cell phone contracts are 2 years so it'll be very interesting to see the durability results after 2 years of normal use.

samsung is more interested in making money than being nice... if they can cant license their tech to others... they'll be happy to sell to them outright... either way they make money

I wonder how many open and close cycles they have tested these foldable displays to.

I feel like as they age there is going to be rampant cracking in the center.

I want something I can roll up, and put in my pants. to get mistaken for a boner.

like a digital scroll with a roll out screen.

Back