Samsung Odyssey OLED G8 34" 21:9 (3,440 x 1,440) Ultra Wide 175 Hz

illli

[H]ard|Gawd
same panel as used in the Alienware AW3423DW

but... samsung decided on Micro HDMI (2.1), Mini DP (1.4) which kind of killed any interest I had

undertaker2k8

[H]ard|Gawd
same panel as used in the Alienware AW3423DW

but... samsung decided on Micro HDMI (2.1), Mini DP (1.4) which kind of killed any interest I had
It will likely come with standard size adapters/cables so not sure why that matters too much, way late to the party though, Dell captured all the momentum early on.

SparkTR

n00b
I wonder how removing the Gsync module impact performance. More flickering, 10bit and 175hz at the same time?

SoCali

[H]ard|Gawd
It will likely come with standard size adapters/cables so not sure why that matters too much, way late to the party though, Dell captured all the momentum early on.
I don't really think its late to the party. There seem to be a lot of people who have been waiting on this to avoid the Gsync module and fans.

kasakka

2[H]4U
Yeah I really don't understand this decision. I hope it at least comes with the adapters required but neither of those ports I've seen in a long time and I imagine the available micro HDMI 2.1 adapters would be few. It's like somebody said "this must be this thin!" and then they reluctantly designed around that premise considering the ports poke out horizontally instead of the usual vertical orientation.

As for late to the party, not at all. The Dell is a shitshow of poorly packaged units and non-upgradeable firmware requiring RMA to update.

undertaker2k8

[H]ard|Gawd
Yeah I really don't understand this decision. I hope it at least comes with the adapters required but neither of those ports I've seen in a long time and I imagine the available micro HDMI 2.1 adapters would be few. It's like somebody said "this must be this thin!" and then they reluctantly designed around that premise considering the ports poke out horizontally instead of the usual vertical orientation.

As for late to the party, not at all. The Dell is a shitshow of poorly packaged units and non-upgradeable firmware requiring RMA to update.
And the samsung will likely come with only a 1 year warranty period like all of their other displays...

Blade-Runner

2[H]4U
And the samsung will likely come with only a 1 year warranty period like all of their other displays...

Thankfully Samsung's explicit warranty means fuck all in countries with decent consumer protection....they do make it a fucking pain in the arse to get things replaced or repaired out of warranty in the hope they can wear out consumers into paying or giving up.

undertaker2k8

[H]ard|Gawd
Thankfully Samsung's explicit warranty means fuck all in countries with decent consumer protection....they do make it a fucking pain in the arse to get things replaced or repaired out of warranty in the hope they can wear out consumers into paying or giving up.
Merica has no such protections....

KazeoHin

[H]F Junkie
1662068743558.png

Micro HDMI (2.1), Mini DP (1.4)
1662068731773.jpeg

Wait... Really?? who the hell uses mini-ports in 202X?

SoCali

[H]ard|Gawd
Micro HDMI is fragile, and introducing another avenue of potential failure (an adapter) isn't a solution for me. I disagree with their decision on these ports, and elect to take my money elsewhere. Simple as that.
Yeah I agree. Potential failure of a $3 adapter and the fragility of micro HDMI are deal breakers. I dont think the adapter or cable will survive my ascent up Everest so it sitting on a desk is a no go.

illli

[H]ard|Gawd
it is my personal preference, resorting to childish sarcasm about my preference isn't going to change my mind.
edit: although it will succeed in getting me to put people on ignore.

jbltecnicspro

Supreme [H]ardness
it is my personal preference, resorting to childish sarcasm about my preference isn't going to change my mind.
edit: although it will succeed in getting me to put people on ignore.
Not to mention it just means you’ll get the Alienware. It’s not like this monitor is the only one if it’s kind…

Reactions: illli
like this

Errok23

n00b
I would be interested in this monitor given the benefits of no fan noise and HDMI 2.1. My main concern would be performance w/o the G-sync module, text clarity and general desktop performance, and peak brightness. If it could be had for <$1000 that would be sweet.

ziocomposite

Limp Gawd
Super interested in how the same panel performs with Samsung vs Dell vs MSI when they finally all release. Haven't heard anything about MSI variant in a while

TheSlySyl

2[H]4U
I got to Demo the Odyssey Arc 55inch today.
https://www.samsung.com/us/computin...mini-led-curved-gaming-screen-ls55bg970nnxgo/

This ridiculous thing.

It was pretty fucking sweet, but the software, while insanely impressive when it worked. Needs a bit of work.

I only played Forza Horizon 5 and I have no idea what hardware was in the PC that was connected to the panel, but it was a rock solid 4k@165hz that filled my entire field of vision and damn it was cool.

I can't afford to spend $3500 on one, but I'm sure someone can.