Samsung Odyssey ARK 55" 4K Gaming monitor

Zepher

[H]ipster Replacement
check out this beast, 55" 4K gaming screen that can go portrait mode,

Dan_D

Extremely [H]
That's a rather interesting display. Of course, the video doesn't talk about specs. It only showcases the control device, which admittedly makes the device potentially more useful than other large format displays. However, I wouldn't be interested in it unless it was at least capable of 120Hz refresh rates and features G-Sync/FreeSync capability. That's my minimum for 4K displays at this point.

kasakka

2[H]4U
The interesting thing about this is not the display but that controller for managing multiple sources and resizing the screen. I would love to have something like that released as its own device that I could plug between any display considering how bad support for things like PbP is on large TVs nowadays.

Mr Evil

Weaksauce
1000R? They really expect you to sit only 1m away from a monitor that big?

Dan_D

Extremely [H]
1000R? They really expect you to sit only 1m away from a monitor that big?
Why not? I've sat 3' away from 40, 43, 48, and 49" displays. It's been fine. It fills my peripheral vision and the text is large enough that I don't need font scaling.

Blade-Runner

2[H]4U
Interesting....presumably it isn't adjusting the resolution when changing the aspect ratios?

vorpel

Limp Gawd
Why not? I've sat 3' away from 40, 43, 48, and 49" displays. It's been fine. It fills my peripheral vision and the text is large enough that I don't need font scaling.
Exactly this! I have a 43" that my eyes are about 26" away from and it is just right. There is no "one size fits all" - everyone has their own preference.

Reactions: Dan_D
like this

burburbur

Weaksauce
Samsung keeps marketing this in portrait mode, which is a gimmick and stupid, but this thing in landscape mode could be a game changer. Its an ultrawide with more vertical space, which many many people have been clamoring for.

Panel

Limp Gawd
Samsung keeps marketing this in portrait mode, which is a gimmick and stupid, but this thing in landscape mode could be a game changer. Its an ultrawide with more vertical space, which many many people have been clamoring for.
Sure, but 55 inches? Wouldn't a 38" ultrawide be more appropriate for a desk?

l88bastard

2[H]4U
Not enough PPI
Not enough refresh rate either

It's not 2018 anymore

bburk1964

n00b
I have a Samsung QN5580T I use as my monitor. This looks like a curved version with (hopefully) a higher refresh rate, though 60hz is ok for my old eyes. I am mostly happy with this, but 4k seems a bit too stretched on it. A higher res would be nice.