Samsung Odyssey: 49" 5120x1440, 240 Hz, HDR1000

Rtings, TFTCentral and HUB might use different ways to measure these things. Rtings is the only one without TestUFO pursuit camera tests and instead I think they do a similar one with their own logo. I would consider all of them trustworthy sources

HUB mentioned in one of their older monitor reviews that they have adopted TFTC's testing methodology for response times as they believe it to be very accurate. So saying HUB is not to be trusted is essentially saying TFTC is not to be trusted and I definitely wouldn't agree with that.

HUB mentioned in one of their older monitor reviews that they have adopted TFTC's testing methodology for response times as they believe it to be very accurate. So saying HUB is not to be trusted is essentially saying TFTC is not to be trusted and I definitely wouldn't agree with that.
That's a false equivalence. ;)

Regardless of what their methodology is, their numbers don't match the pursuit photo. To put it into perspective, those numbers are within error of the Acer Nitro XF252Q following TFT's response time testing (2.8 vs 2.6): https://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/acer_nitro_xf252q.htm

And anyone can tell you that that monitor does not have ghosting. So now we have a clear contradiction between the numbers and the pursuit photo. Hmm. Perhaps the pursuit photo is wrong and this VA panel is, in fact, as fast as one of the fastest TNs? :rolleyes:

Or VA "suck"?

Ya considering the "old" standard for VA was to have 3000:1 or above contrast ratio. This monitor is now only 19xx:1. High end VA TV's native contrast ratio without FALD is now 6000:1 or above.

Be VERY cautious about those numbers since he also shows the UFO pursuit ghosting test and to be frank the numbers don't add it up with what the camera sees:

Ya I noticed that too. Clearly more black smear than he lets on. He even said TN is still better. None-the-less, it is still quite an impressive result even if it's "VA lite". It will be interesting to see if this speed made it into the G9. All a moot point for me though as these are all toys once you have a 48CX OLED.

I really don't like this "VA lite" term. That's still double the contrast ratio of LG nano-IPS models, which are pretty bad as far as IPS panels go too when it comes to contrast ratio. We don't call those "IPS lite" do we? I think significantly better response times are a good tradeoff for contrast ratio.

All a moot point for me though as these are all toys once you have a 48CX OLED.

Let me know how the panel looks after a few years of good use. ;)
Kidding. I'm envious of anyone who can justify an OLED right now as a desktop panel. My android phone is OLED and I get the pleasure of staring at the permanent top and bottom task bars on full screen videos/games.

I've been using OLED displays for PC/gaming for like 5 years now, never a single problem with image retention/burn in.

That's a false equivalence. ;)

Regardless of what their methodology is, their numbers don't match the pursuit photo. To put it into perspective, those numbers are within error of the Acer Nitro XF252Q following TFT's response time testing (2.8 vs 2.6): https://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/acer_nitro_xf252q.htm

And anyone can tell you that that monitor does not have ghosting. So now we have a clear contradiction between the numbers and the pursuit photo. Hmm. Perhaps the pursuit photo is wrong and this VA panel is, in fact, as fast as one of the fastest TNs? :rolleyes:

All we can do at this point is to compare multiple reviews from multiple sources. But as Vega said it's all moot anyways as its way too late now with the CX OLED out. Still, I welcome any improvements to LCDs regardless.

All we can do at this point is to compare multiple reviews from multiple sources. But as Vega said it's all moot anyways as its way too late now with the CX OLED out. Still, I welcome any improvements to LCDs regardless.

As always it's about what works for you. I imagine many would have difficulty putting the CX 48 at a comfortable distance if they don't have a deep table or can't wall mount. It's a fantastic display but not without its own issues. At least 120 Hz support is solved over time with HDMI 2.1 GPUs but it's still a very very large display and I found working on the CRG9 was a better experience because for me the "wider but not so tall" was more comfortable setup than this "wide, but not so high res horizontally, very tall and not curved". Of course the OLED is better in everything else so I am making it work for me. I just hope LG makes a smaller version of this with 240 Hz in the future.

Be VERY cautious about those numbers since he also shows the UFO pursuit ghosting test and to be frank the numbers don't add it up with what the camera sees:
They seem to add up for me when compared to https://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/lg_32gk850g.htm, the black trail is clearly shorter which seems to be on par with the spike drop from 30+ms to 15ms, am I missing something? VA clearly won't ever be better on this front compared to IPS (where even if average is higher, min and max are very close), not to mention TN, however if they get it to where it's barely visible, it should be OK for gaming as well.

120hz without 4:4:4 and using HDMI is so 2010.

Yet it's so advanced that it's the display waiting on a video card that has an HDMI 2.1 port that is faster than Displayport 1.4. Regardless, there is an adapter that allows 4K/120 Hz RGB 12-bit color HDR right now. Enjoy your 1440p "VA lite" LCD.

Last edited:
"Samsung representatives said that all Odyssey G9 monitors that have already been ordered but have not yet been handed over to end-users should be subjected to additional quality checks, and delays in deliveries are expected. “To ensure optimal performance for Samsung Odyssey G9 monitors, Samsung has improved the manufacturing process for assembling them. All buyers ordered the monitors, which have not yet been delivered, starting from July 15, will undergo new quality control, which may affect the delay of delivery “ – said in a statement the company.

The company does not indicate any specific defects in the monitor. However, some Odyssey G9 users report having encountered a malfunctioning NVIDIA G-Sync technology, while others have noted problems with the backlight. But, apparently, the main reason is a more serious manufacturing defect.

It looks like the main reason Samsung has decided to resort to the ” new quality check” is the peel – off-panel at the top of the monitor. Many users publish photos in which this monitor defect is clearly visible. At the same time, some owners report slight delamination of the matrix, while others complain that more than 10 cm of the panel has already peeled off from the monitor case."

Ouch!

Ya I noticed that too. Clearly more black smear than he lets on. He even said TN is still better. None-the-less, it is still quite an impressive result even if it's "VA lite". It will be interesting to see if this speed made it into the G9. All a moot point for me though as these are all toys once you have a 48CX OLED.

What is your viewing distance for the 48CX? I've had my eye on the 32" G7 because it's at least larger than the various 27" options out there, but not prohibitively so. I've always thought 38" would be the largest I'd go, but AFAIK no one really makes them with all the bells and whistles.

What is your viewing distance for the 48CX? I've had my eye on the 32" G7 because it's at least larger than the various 27" options out there, but not prohibitively so. I've always thought 38" would be the largest I'd go, but AFAIK no one really makes them with all the bells and whistles.

About 40 inches.

Woa crap, look where Samsung put the notch cutout for lifting the display:

holy shit... unpacking a monitor is always a walking on a razor edge activity. if you don't do it monthly. I'm always worried about damaging the monitor while unpacking it, hate this.

About 40 inches.

Woa crap, look where Samsung put the notch cutout for lifting the display:

Saw that earlier today and this can't be anything but an already defective monitor or these are somehow extra fragile. I have manhandled my CRG9 trying to mount it by myself on a monitor arm and that involved a good mount of holding the display from places where it shouldn't be yet it was perfectly fine.

Saw that earlier today and this can't be anything but an already defective monitor or these are somehow extra fragile. I have manhandled my CRG9 trying to mount it by myself on a monitor arm and that involved a good mount of holding the display from places where it shouldn't be yet it was perfectly fine.

Your CRG9 isn't as curved as the G9 though so that might be it. I'm assuming it's quite heavy too and it looks like all the pressure was put on a single point so maybe he should have really stuck his hand further in and try to spread out the pressure across the screen a bit more too I'm not sure.

is this his first LCD monitor? how does someone attempt to lift any display by putting all the force and pressure on the screen.

mount the stand first and then lift it up using the stand.

The company does not indicate any specific defects in the monitor. However, some Odyssey G9 users report having encountered a malfunctioning NVIDIA G-Sync technology, while others have noted problems with the backlight. But, apparently, the main reason is a more serious manufacturing defect.
Doesn't have a G-Sync module (all Odyssey models are listed as "G-Sync Compatible" on Nvidia's website), so "malfunctioning NVIDIA G-Sync technology" is not possible - although the issue could still be VRR related. But this would imply any type of sync is also affected (i.e. FreeSync, VRR, etc).

Yet it's so advanced that it's the display waiting on a video card that has an HDMI 2.1 port that is faster than Displayport 1.4. Regardless, there is an adapter that allows 4K/120 Hz RGB 12-bit color HDR right now. Enjoy your 1440p "VA lite" LCD.

when dp2.0 comes out next year and pc monitors doing 4k 240hz, what then?

when dp2.0 comes out next year and pc monitors doing 4k 240hz, what then?

But now you have the same problem that you initially pointed out, which is the graphics card lacking the display connector. IMO it takes waaaay too long for these things to get implemented, anytime a new display connector is announced it takes YEARS before it finally show up in products. I think HDMI 2.1 was finalized in 2018 maybe?

But now you have the same problem that you initially pointed out, which is the graphics card lacking the display connector. IMO it takes waaaay too long for these things to get implemented, anytime a new display connector is announced it takes YEARS before it finally show up in products. I think HDMI 2.1 was finalized in 2018 maybe?

DP transition is a lot quicker on PC monitors than the HDMI port.

But then what about the graphics cards? How long did it take DP 1.3/1.4 to show up in GPUs after it was finalized?
DisplayPort 1.4 was published in March 2016. The GTX 1080 (the first to implement it) was launched in May 2016.

You'll find a similar trend with past DP releases. The products are being developed in parallel with the standard.

HDMI 2.1 has DSC capability and can do 4K/240Hz.

Ironically, DP 1.4 displays lagged behind DP 1.4 GPUs by 1-2 years. So say another two years for Amperes successor plus another year for displays that have DP 2.0 Tcon chips in them. Three years for DP 2.0 end-to-end at the earliest.

Last edited:
DisplayPort 1.4 was published in March 2016. The GTX 1080 (the first to implement it) was launched in May 2016.

You'll find a similar trend with past DP releases. The products are being developed in parallel with the standard.

I see. Well anyways I still think this Samsung is impressive for what it is. Also, it seems like RTING's consistently gets different measurements from HUB and TFTC, which makes sense given that HUB is using TFTC's method. Here's another example using the Asus VG279QM running at 280Hz and OD 80:

RTINGS:
1595018171347.png

HUB:
1595018186114.png

TFTC:
1595018457426.png

HUB and TFTC fall closely together while RTING's is somehow finding a lot more overshoot. So again, I don't think we should be saying that HUB's reviews are not to be trusted.

HDMI 2.1 has DSC capability and can do 4K/240Hz.

Ironically, DP 1.4 displays lagged behind DP 1.4 GPUs by 1-2 years. So say another two years for Amperes successor plus another year for displays that have DP 2.0 Tcon chips in them. Three years for DP 2.0 end-to-end at the earliest.

We don't know what next-gen AMD and Nvidia GPU's have yet so let's just wait and see, I know HDMI 2.1 will be there, but so what though, I haven't seen a single announced PC monitor with HDMI2.1 coming out in the future.

Regardless, there is an adapter that allows 4K/120 Hz RGB 12-bit color HDR right now. Enjoy your 1440p "VA lite" LCD.

I thought that LG got capped at 40gbs using HDMI2.1, and now cant do 12bit and 120hz with HDR. Enjoy your 4k "OLED lite" HDMI2.1.

I thought that LG got capped at 40gbs using HDMI2.1, and now cant do 12bit and 120hz with HDR. Enjoy your 4k "OLED lite" HDMI2.1.

It's a true 10-bit panel so having true 12-bit signal is irrelevant. Virtually no displays in the world have true 12-bit panels. Yet another swing and a miss from you. And someone with an 8-bit LCD talking about a "lack" of high end color capability is quite amusing.

Last edited:
Hey Vega did you ever get your 48CX? Last I heard I think you ordered one?

12-bit is only really relevant if you have around 10000-nits of brightness. Otherwise, it's extremely difficult to distinguish against that many colors. The fact that the CX doesn't have 12-bit color capabilities @ 4k/120 4:4:4 is irrelevant; it's a 10-bit panel.

People really need to stop with the "CX can't do full HDMI 2.1" bs. Read up on the tech. NO currently available display is capable of full 12-bit color. None. It's a marketing bullet point. Nothing else.

It's a true 10-bit panel so having true 12-bit signal is irrelevant. Virtually no displays in the world have true 12-bit panels. Yet another swing and a miss from you. And someone with an 8-bit LCD talking about a "lack" of high end color capability is quite amusing.
talking about swings and misses now? like how you hit it spot on with the G7? don't be ridiculous.

Hey Vega did you ever get your 48CX? Last I heard I think you ordered one?

Yup!

talking about swings and misses now? like how you hit it spot on with the G7? don't be ridiculous.

Oh you mean how the G7 has been proven to have black smear and pixel transitions as slow as 15ms with overdrive artifacts? Yes quite spot on indeed. You know this is a G9 thread right? Which begs the question; you couldn't pony up for the big boy that this thread is about eh?

Last edited:
For the next Xbox I will treat my self with a nice 75 inch OLED next year, the way its meant to be played. I never liked consoles hooked up to PC monitors, or PC's hooked up to TV's, but thx for the link anyway, never heard of that Philips.
You realize the Xbox Series X is just a pc in a nice looking tower, right?

Looking forward to the next series of GPUs with HDMI 2.1.

So i found Samsung Odyssey: 49 on facebook market place for $1800 (which is what i think is fair since it cost more then that online with tax) is it worth the cost of is the LG CX 48 a better monitor for less ?

Last edited:
So i found Samsung Odyssey: 49 on facebook market place for $1800 (which is what i think is fair since it cost more then that online with tax) is it worth the cost of is the LG CX 48 a better monitor for less ?
LOUD WORDS !

Back