Samsung Odyssey 1440p VA monitors 240hz curved

They do go on sale, I was able to get my 32" for $650 on amazon, just keep an eye out.

Yeah I got mine on sale right before christmas for $599. Been more than happy with mine, quickest refresh since I had to stop using my CRT as my daily monitor.

Finally got to see my friend's Samsung G7 in action playing Overwatch at 240 Hz/fps. It looked really good for SDR to me and I could not notice any issues with trailing or ghosting. Very nice.

What wasn't so nice is that Samsung still has extremely slow resolution switching. It's mostly an issue when trying to enter BIOS as the initial screen gets passed before the display even wakes up. Same issue on my CRG9.

The curve on the G7 was not distracting but at the same time felt unnecessary. It's useful on a super ultrawide but something much smaller not so much.

Finally got to see my friend's Samsung G7 in action playing Overwatch at 240 Hz/fps. It looked really good for SDR to me and I could not notice any issues with trailing or ghosting. Very nice.
The curve on the G7 was not distracting but at the same time felt unnecessary. It's useful on a super ultrawide but something much smaller not so much.

What screen size was this (sry if already mentioned). Im considering one of the new G7 range, just hoped that they had an ultrawide variant (not superultrawide) with the same response times and decent HDR.

Last edited:

What wasn't so nice is that Samsung still has extremely slow resolution switching. It's mostly an issue when trying to enter BIOS as the initial screen gets passed before the display even wakes up. Same issue on my CRG9.

That's odd. My G7 32 wakes up just fine and I see the load screen for several seconds so I have the option to get to bios settings

The long wakeup is my only real complaint with the monitor. Waking it up compared to my AOC monitor is much slower.

Are there any good G7 alternatives out yet? (preferably IPS) that isn't curved, I've seen a couple reviews but I've read one faital flaw that the sRGB mode is quite locked so you cannot adjust stuff and are stuck with either non ideal settings or oversaturated image for normal content. Is there any that doesn't have that issue?

I have this monitor, and the high refresh and input speed is very good. But one thing that really pisses me off about this monitor, is that many times when I turn my PC on, nothing will display on the screen, almost like as if the DP cable is not connected. The fix is to hard Power reset the PC. Simple fix, but extremely annoying. It is only this monitor that this issue happens on.

Anyone else experience this issue?

Are there any good G7 alternatives out yet? (preferably IPS) that isn't curved, I've seen a couple reviews but I've read one faital flaw that the sRGB mode is quite locked so you cannot adjust stuff and are stuck with either non ideal settings or oversaturated image for normal content. Is there any that doesn't have that issue?

The Acer Predator IPS version is coming out within in the next 2 months according to my supplier. 240+Hz IPS, 32" non-curved.

The Acer Predator IPS version is coming out within in the next 2 months according to my supplier. 240+Hz IPS, 32" non-curved.

I believe that one also has the issue being a monitor with expanded color space and making the sRGB pretty critical if you just want natural non oversaturated colors for regular color space use (which is like 99% what normal customers need) and I believe it had pretty locked-in sRGB mode as well but correct me if I'm wrong. Otherwise I find the Acer one highly attractive.

https://www.techpowerup.com/279269/...-2021-monitor-with-quantum-miniled-technology

he monitor is the first from the company to feature their Quantum MiniLED technology which will greatly improve peak brightness levels. The Odyssey G9 2021 will reportedly be able to reach a peak brightness of 2,000 nits when displaying HDR content. The monitor retains its 49" size, 1000R curvature, 240 Hz refresh rate, 1 ms response time, and 5,120 x 1,440 resolution.

Samsung just announced a flat G7 finally. No other flat alternatives.

Cool, will definitely look into it especially how they've somehow managed to get VA response times so good on these monitors. Do the curved monitors support any strobing? I personally prefer even 144Hz strobed (with no VRR which seems like it never gonna be working perfectly due to the varying amounts of ghosting it will introduce at lower refresh rates) over 240Hz no strobing on my 240Hz TN monitor for the increase in motion smoothness and better image quality than running 240Hz.

Nice that quatom miniLED G9 looks nice but please release a flat screen monitor.

No way I can competativly play PUBG with that sort of large horziontal space with a curve.

Nice that quatom miniLED G9 looks nice but please release a flat screen monitor.

No way I can competativly play PUBG with that sort of large horziontal space with a curve.

They state in their press release that G3, G5 and G7 will be flat. :)

Any ideas yet if the flat G7 will be just 27" or also 32". I prefer 32" over 27" but I would still consider the 27" as there's no other really good 32" option eitherway.

I currently have an Acer XB270HU that's been going strong for the last 6 years but I'm torn between the 32" version of this monitor, the ASUS VG34VQL1B and the LG 34GP3A-B; when working from home the extra screen space would be a life saver when dealing with multiple spreadsheets and using SAP.

Does anyone else feel like the performance of g-sync is worse than no-sync at all on the G7? I have 2 issues when I use freesync.

I have been using freesync enabled on this monitor since i got it a few months ago, and only recently I decided to try it with it disabled. Immediately I felt like it is more responsive and comfortable performance boost when I was playing PUBG.

Secondly, when I was using freesync, I experienced alot of overshoot when inside buildings in pubg. When freesync is disabled and I can select 'Faster' overdrive setting, there is practically no more overshoot and the monitor still feels more responsive than using freesync.

I was at the point of wanting to try other monitors out, but now that I have disabled freesync, the monitor feels alot more nicer to play pubg with.

Is this an abnormal experience I have described? Because I thought VRR is suppose to make gaming more responsive and smoother, yet it feels that way with it disabled in my situation.

Does anyone have a issue with this monitor refusing to wake up after turning it off? If I have the CX55 on I can turn the monitor on and off with no issues. Sometimes the monitor refuses to wake up after going to sleep by itself. When the monitor hangs I also get no picture on the TV when I turn it on. I have to reset the computer to get them to turn on at that point. I tried 2 different DP cables and both display ports. The TV is hooked up with a hdmi 2.1.

I haven't had that issue. The only complaint I had is that it takes longer for to turn on compared to my second monitor.

I haven't had that issue. The only complaint I had is that it takes longer for to turn on compared to my second monitor.
Yea it is a recent issue that began when I removed a AW UW monitor and replaced it with the CX55. I haven't tried a HDMI cable since I don't have any extra atm.

Yeah that's an issue on the CRG9 as well. Really slow startup/wake from sleep time.

Looking for opinions for the latest firmware update on the 32" G7 240hz monitor. Anyone upgraded to the new firmware with good results? Did it fix any of the issues it had? Also how does It perform with local dimming turned off? Is HDR still functional? Or does local dimming need to be turned on in conjunction with HDR? Looking for opinions about the performance of this monitor from owners please. Thanks.

I have one and just flashed the new firmware. I havent noticed anything really different with it, as I havent had any real issues since I bought it back in december of last year. I just use local dimming on auto and the adjustments hardware unboxed suggested for the monitor. I have yet to have any problems like I did with my previous samsung curved 32 in 144 htz monitor.

I have one and just flashed the new firmware. I havent noticed anything really different with it, as I havent had any real issues since I bought it back in december of last year. I just use local dimming on auto and the adjustments hardware unboxed suggested for the monitor. I have yet to have any problems like I did with my previous samsung curved 32 in 144 htz monitor.
Hey Starfalcon, I have a few questions;

Do you have the 27 or 32 model?

When using HDR is local dimming forced on or can you turn it off if you choose? Do you run HDR in games? Any noticable improvement in HDR mode?

What games do you play? A good variety? Notice any flicker some have complained about?

I have the 32 in G7. I dont use HDR or adaptive sync on this monitor so I cant say how that is, I didnt use it on my last one as there were a lot of compromises and didnt care for the loss in picture quality.

As for games Ive played all sorts from MMOs to RPGs, and shooters to strategy games. Havent noticed any flicker on it with any of the firmware, as I have been upgrading it as they come out. Its been all around a good monitor for the last 10 or so months Ive had it.

I have the 32 in G7. I dont use HDR or adaptive sync on this monitor so I cant say how that is, I didnt use it on my last one as there were a lot of compromises and didnt care for the loss in picture quality.

As for games Ive played all sorts from MMOs to RPGs, and shooters to strategy games. Havent noticed any flicker on it with any of the firmware, as I have been upgrading it as they come out. Its been all around a good monitor for the last 10 or so months Ive had it.
Ah I see. The flicker is caused by the adaptive sync. Still to this day they have not figured it out. Adaptive sync is mandatory for me so unfortunately this monitor Isn't a good fit for me. You are lucky you prefer not to use it cause It's plagued buyers since release lol.

With the new firmware for any of the Odyssey series, you need to turn on "VRR Control" for G-Sync or Freesync to not have flashing/flickering. I can confirm this with my own G9 120Hz.

I don't think adaptive sync has worked that great from its introduction, seems to also cause various issues, noticeable flickering in this one, noticeable ghosting (or crosstalk?) in other monitors when refresh rate drops too much (ie. the "useable"/beneficial range is too limited). Can this monitor be used with static strobe? I personally prefer that to adaptive sync (because of varying levels of crosstalk or ghosting depending on refresh rate, typically when it drops it gets more obvious).

On my current monitor that is also supporting 240Hz I run a static strobe setting at 144Hz and have zero issues with noticeable ghosting and TestUFO looks perfect in motion to my eyes.

The Aorus FI32U (32" 4K) has Aim Stabilizer Sync, which is BFI/Strobing that works with VRR. It works great, but you need to be getting 100 fps or more for it to function (though even if you drop lower it still looks good).

It is almost CRT quality in the clarity, or at least as close as I've seen on modern LCD displays. I've tried BFI before on other monitors and it never worked right, but Gigabyte finally figured it out.

I don't think adaptive sync has worked that great from its introduction, seems to also cause various issues, noticeable flickering in this one, noticeable ghosting (or crosstalk?) in other monitors when refresh rate drops too much (ie. the "useable"/beneficial range is too limited). Can this monitor be used with static strobe? I personally prefer that to adaptive sync (because of varying levels of crosstalk or ghosting depending on refresh rate, typically when it drops it gets more obvious).

On my current monitor that is also supporting 240Hz I run a static strobe setting at 144Hz and have zero issues with noticeable ghosting and TestUFO looks perfect in motion to my eyes.
Right is the minimum about 80 fps or so?

I can't find any good monitor that doesn't have any issues. I'm trying to upgrade from my 32" Predator Z1 165hz curved Gsync but It's hard to beat cause it has no issues whatsoever it performs like a champ at 165hz lol

Looked at some of the Asus monitors and all have issues also.

It sucks right now cause TVs are just too slow but have better HDR & monitors have the speed 165+hz 175hz 200hz 240hz but they have their own specific issues lmao Ive been at 165hz for 4 years I need something faster now.

I'm running 160Hz. Had a 240Hz monitor at one point, but honestly it wasn't that much better. I mean, I could see the difference, especially for older games like HL2 it is noticeable.

But for most new games you'll never get 240fps so it was kind of a waste (also it was a TN panel and had other problems).

I've had a Dell U4919DW ton backorder 2 months and need to get something before the end of the month. How does this stack up colorwise QLED vs IPS?

I've had a Dell U4919DW ton backorder 2 months and need to get something before the end of the month. How does this stack up colorwise QLED vs IPS?
You should check out the Dell 27" 1440P VA monitor it's dirt cheap and I'm sure it's a real good monitor it's curved as well.
I settled on the 24.5" ASUS VA TUF monitor with a curved screen own two of them.

Work is paying so price isn't an issue, just finding something in stock that is high quality and I'd like to avoid bezels if I can. I can get the LC49G95TSSNXZA on Amazon today, but have only been buying IPS monitors since they came out and don't have any experience with VA/QLED.

VA monitors are really easy on the eyes compared to IPS the contrast for colors is pretty amazing on even the cheap ones.

Is the flat one going to be VA also?

This looks great but the price is a bit out there.

Back