Samsung Odyssey 1440p VA monitors 240hz curved

Also, the ULMB mode is a bust on this. Good job Samsung - hit it out of the park why don't you... :rolleyes:

What makes it a fail? It's single-strobe only on 240hz. That's right. 120hz is double strobe and quad strobbed for 60 hz. I expected double-strobe for 60hz but 120hz? Come on Samsung, are you kidding me? This right here makes this one of the most disappointing gaming monitors to come out in a long time. Fail. So much fail. Could you imagine what a home-run this monitor could have been if it had single strobing all the way across the refresh range, or at least starting at 100 or 120hz?

Lol I'm telling you no LCD has gotten backlight strobing correct except for maybe the Eizo FG2421. I spent many years going through potential 1440p successors to that monitor only to end up disappointed over and over again. LG CX OLED with BFI is your best bet for a real CRT successor in terms of motion clarity.

Lol I'm telling you no LCD has gotten backlight strobing correct except for maybe the Eizo FG2421. I spent many years going through potential 1440p successors to that monitor only to end up disappointed over and over again. LG CX OLED with BFI is your best bet for a real CRT successor in terms of motion clarity.

Of that I have no doubt. I just seriously cannot believe that it's taken this long and still no one has gotten it right. Come on people! :D

Got my G9 Odyssey today and no backlight bleed or gaps that i can see so far in a dark room. Also no noticeable stuck pixels. Enjoying it more since i got it $350 cheaper than i would have a few months ago. (y)

Samsung Odyssey products are FreeSync.

Specifically, they support FreeSync Premium Pro and are on Nvidia's G-Sync Compatible list.

Oh I seen a few at Microcenter and thy were all g sync???

Or was it a gsync compatible type sticker and I didnt realize it

Correct. Most Samsung gaming monitors are all FreeSync monitors. They happen to be GSync compatible (for the most part - check the model).

Who knows anymore. I don't think there's a G-Sync police out there checking stickers and boxes. Samsung's own website lists the Odyssey as simply "NVIDIA G-SYNC™ : Yes". You pretty much have to do the research yourself (or ask in a forum) to get the truth.

Rule of thumb is that if there's FreeSync support, it probably doesn't have a G-Sync module, thus G-Sync Compatible applies. And Nvidia has a list of official G-Sync Compatible, which simply means that the panel passed their test labs.

IIRC, the Odyssey line launched with G-Sync Compatible advertised, but they did not show up on Nvidia's list until a week or so later.

Last edited:
Both AMD and Nvidia have lists of compatible monitors on their website. Assuming the display is certified, it should be on one (or both) of those lists.

https://www.amd.com/en/products/freesync-monitors
https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/products/g-sync-monitors/specs

Though, of course, there are displays not there for whatever reason, so some forum searching may be needed at times.

Yeah I totally forgot about the vendor lists. Thanks ill cross reference

As far as a 240hz VA, ive only owned TN and IPS. Are these new VA panels good to go?

Im looking for strictly entertsinment and gaming. Was thinking of pairing one up to a 6900xt.

I dont care about 4k. 1440p is fine for me.

I have an IPS 3440x Acer for productivity but uts very slow at 100hz.

So........

I have a brand new Odyssey G7 32" - got it from Microcenter a week ago.

Its just sitting under a trashcan (keep my doberman out of the trash) - brand new in box.

Not sure if I want to keep it or whatever? Should I return it and get something else?

Im only using a 5600xt right now due to selling my 2080ti. Was holding out for a 6900xt or 3090 if I could ever get one.

Not interested in 4k or hdr1000 because of the price and I like higher FPS.

Opinion?

20201008_031614.jpg

So........

I have a brand new Odyssey G7 32" - got it from Microcenter a week ago.

Its just sitting under a trashcan (keep my doberman out of the trash) - brand new in box.

Not sure if I want to keep it or whatever? Should I return it and get something else?

Im only using a 5600xt right now due to selling my 2080ti. Was holding out for a 6900xt or 3090 if I could ever get one.

Not interested in 4k or hdr1000 because of the price and I like higher FPS.

Opinion?

View attachment 286565
Here's my advice: put your trash can on top of the box AFTER it's been emptied of the amazing monitor that is the Samsung Odyssey G7!

I've had my 27 inch for a few days and I am VERY pleased with it. Must have got lucky because I have NO backlight bleed, whereas every other VA or IPS I had tried in the last few months had it.
Also no flickering after a little bit of a fix. When I first plugged in the monitor adaptive sync was on by default and gsync was enabled by default. In CoD MW I would get flickering.
Disabled gsync in the Nvidia control panel, disabled Adaptive Sync on the monitor. Restarted. Enabled Adaptive Sync on the monitor, enabled gsync in the control panel. No more flickering.

Also I too had the Ezio FG2421 many years back and wow you're right the bfi on that was great. Never liked the implementation of bfi on my last Dell s2417dg. Also missed the high contrast, better angles, colors AND surprisingly response times of this new Odyssey G7 VA! Well worth the 200€ extra from the mid-high tier monitors out there that are always a compromise on the previously listed attributes.

For strict movie watching and HUD-less gaming (yes burn-in is a thing, I've had my panel replaced before on a b6) I have an lg c6 coming this week. Although I really have not minded watching Netflix series and movies on this monitor coming from Oled.

So ive opened and have been using about a week. This is one sweet monitor.

Right now im using at 1080p because my GPU is weak on 1440p content.

However, if I can snag a 6800xt ill run it wide open. Its def a nice panel. Feels like a hyper fast IPS panel. Has speed of TN and the Quantum Dot film makes it look like an IPS.

It seems the new firmware fixed flickering for me on my 32” they also added a new option in menu called VRR control

Those who have the flickering issue give it a shot it seems to be working great now

66D96FD0-06B3-4727-AA52-05C3BDDBB995.jpeg

Reactions: zehoo
like this
I'm going to grab the 32inch monitor, I might wait for another $50 off sale they have but if that doesn't show up in the next few weeks I'll just order it. I'm pumped, I haven't gotten a new monitor in years.

Edit: Just found it on amazon with $50 off, should've done a better job searching lol

How good is this monitor scaling down from 4K or scaling up from 1080p? I want it mainly for PC but as the PS5 doesn't support 1440p it would be fed 1080 or 2160p.

I've had my monitor for a couple of days now and I love it for PC gaming. I tried my PS4 pro on it for an hour or so I'm getting some terrible color banding when it's scaling down from 4k. I have to play around with the output settings of the ps4 to see if I can get rid of it.

Anyone using the G9 with a 6800/XT? Got one still in box and trying to decide if I should get a 6900 XT to pair with it. Will be using for sim racing rig.

Picked this up on Black Friday. Seems ok but I'm struggling to find picture settings that feel right. I can't seem to get whites to feel really white like my PB278Q without feeling like it's hurting my eyes.

IMG_20201124_213155.jpg

Very happy with the monitor, currently only running 120hz 8-bit on my GTX 1070, as it doesn't support DSC. I will probably get a RTX 3080 or 6800XT in the new year depending if AMD will fix their drivers for the monitor. I have the latest drivers and firmware (1008.1) and do see flickering with Adaptice sync active, so I have disabled it.

I went to my local Microcenter to see if they had the G9 on display, sadly they did not. The previous Samsung model was on display, looked great but my god was the screen real estate huge. I'm sure I could cope with it, but I think the G9 is a better match having more of a curve.

I'm partly considering upgrading to the G9 to put attach both my personal computer and work laptop. What are people doing for a single kb+mouse setup for such configurations? What are people's thoughts thus far on the split screen setup?

Been using my new 32 in G7 for 2 weeks now, been nothing but pleased with the panel. It is lightning fast even compared to my older CH32 samsung panel, and got used to the curve after a couple hours.

I'm hearing reports that the new firmware from a couple months ago fixed flickering but introduced stutter while using VRR. Anyone experience this?

I haven't but I need to try it because I am getting flickering with this monitor, some worse than others depending on the title. The other complaint I have which may not be the monitors issue is the color banding on my ps4 is insane with HDR on. I've only tried it on Ghost of Tsushima but it's terrible.

The G9 has been sold out everywhere for weeks now. Scalpers are asking $3,500... First GPUs and now monitors. This is getting ridiculous.

The G9 has been sold out everywhere for weeks now. Scalpers are asking $3,500... First GPUs and now monitors. This is getting ridiculous.

$3500? Damn I'll sell mine for that, still unused. Guess its a good thing I bought it a month early.

I'm hearing reports that the new firmware from a couple months ago fixed flickering but introduced stutter while using VRR. Anyone experience this?

I haven't but I need to try it because I am getting flickering with this monitor, some worse than others depending on the title. The other complaint I have which may not be the monitors issue is the color banding on my ps4 is insane with HDR on. I've only tried it on Ghost of Tsushima but it's terrible.
Just got the 32” G7 but it’s the T1 edition since the normal one was out during the big promo. Extremely impressed with this monitor compared to my current 2. My 100hz x34 UW from 5 years ago looks slow compared to the G7 even when set to only 100hz. In terms of motion clarity, it’s near/matching/exceeding my 2720z BenQ (blur reduction on). Did not like Samsung’s MBR but the regular (faster) preset is great. Absolutely love the curve since I play closer to the monitor like I always have when I was 3 lol. Having been spoiled by OLED HDR, it’s a nice feature but don’t use it personally. This may be the best monitor until we get true Micro led/quantum dot.

So for the games I play on it, mostly COD did not have flicker issue. Same for other games since I’m pusing it with a 3080 so frames are mostly above 100.

Decided to play W3 and recreated the flicker issue by continually reducing FPS with RTSS. The display doubles refresh at about 75hz but the flicker became noticeable under 60 and more prevalent the lower you go. Applied the VRR on option on the panel and flicker is gone. From 60-80hz no perceptible judder when gaming. Lower than 60 is when it won’t feel smooth but tbh I think people have the assumption it’s going to be smooth but that’s not what happens when you play at lower framerates. VRR is not magic for lower than 60 gaming lol

https://www.amd.com/en/support...

• Some displays such as the Sceptre C series or Samsung™ Odyssey G9 series may experience an intermittent black screen on Radeon™ RX 6000 series graphics products.
  • The Samsung™ Odyssey G9 C49G95T may experience display or corruption issues when set to 5120x1440@240hz

It didnt help they had them on sale for $200 off right before christmas. I think they sold every one they had available.
I just bought an Open Box from BB . Set it all up grabbed one of my old power cords and Ummmm. Son of a B!$%&. Luckily I saw another Open Box on the site today and will test both before I return one of them. People must not be updating the firmware from Christmas and returning them. Or they don't like the curve. This one smelled of heavy smoke.

Has anyone compared the 27 and 32" G7s?

I wanna buy the 32 since it's only $100 more, but I am afraid of losing to much quality.

Got my G9 today and this display is tiny compared to my curved Samsung 49" 4K TV I have been using.

G9 screen is 13.25" tall by 47" wide for a total area of 622.75 sq/in.

My older display is 23.25" tall by 41.5" wide for a total area of 964.88 sq/in.

I guess I'll get used to it. It does kick ass at 240Hz where my old display was limited to 60Hz.

IMG_1508.JPG

Last edited:
Got my G9 today and this display is tiny compared to my curved Samsung 49" 4K TV I have been using.

G9 screen is 13.25" tall by 47" wide for a total area of 622.75 sq/in.

My older display is 23.25" tall by 41.5" wide for a total area of 964.88 sq/in.

I guess I'll get used to it. It does kick ass at 240Hz where my old display was limited to 60Hz.

View attachment 325053
I've been wondering how DLSS 2.0 looks on this display, I only have a 1070, so I can't test it myself. As far as I understand it is more likely to be a bit blurry at 1440p resolutions than at 4K.

Do they go on sale? I was so certain the 32" was available for $700. Now it's on amazon/bestbuy for $800.

Back