Samsung Odyssey 1440p VA monitors 240hz curved

it can pull off 600 nits still in HDR, with a little over 6000:1 contrast ratio, people who actually own the monitor reported that HDR is amazing still, stop trolling.
Probably from people who have never used any other HDR display before.

This isn't the best video of last year's model, but you can clearly see the contrast between the large columns of light as the boxes move across the screen, how much lag there is as they move between zones, and how they negatively affect the black level around them.

And again, as with the G9 the G7 lineup uses an updated version of the same panels that were used in the CHG70 from last year. Real contrast ratio on these with local dimming enabled was about 2400:1. Samsung themselves advertise the G7 as having a contrast ratio of 2500:1.

Looks like the 32" has 8. Can't find info about the 27".

https://www.displayninja.com/samsung-c32g75t-review/

Looks like HDR on these is useless.

I don't understand that review...he talks about the monitor a lot but doesn't seem to have any testing or metrics to show, and then he linked someone else's video that I've already watched (Linus's unboxing).

However, as there are only 8 zones on the monitor’s big 32″ sized screen, local dimming is not particularly effective.

For the true HDR viewing experience, a 32″ LED-backlit monitor would preferably need over 1,000 dimming zones, but this would also significantly increase the monitor’s price.

Finally, the monitor offers a stunning viewing experience with decent HDR picture quality.

HDR isn't something I've paid any attention to over the past few years so this isn't a big deal to me, but 8 zones when it should "preferably need over 1,000 dimming zones"? It sounds like HDR was implemented at the minimum level required to claim it on the box...but then the reviewer goes on to say it's "decent HDR picture quality." Very confusing.

Personally, I'm just looking for something at 1440p, G-SYNC, 144Hz+, and larger than 27" but not larger 38". Once you get over 27" the options kind of disappear unless you want ultrawide (I do not), so this 32" looks promising.

HDR is very confusing, and it doesn't help that many sets claimed "HDR Ready" when they could only process the signal and not display it correctly.

However, at least now we have Vesa certification, even though some people still think it's bogus.

Let me just say my old Samsung TV had HDR (HDR10, the original standard). It was a $500 40" 4K TV and the HDR was junk and didn't do anything.

My current Samsung TV (2018) has HDR that is okay, but it was before the new HDR 400/600/1000 standards, so I don't actually know where it stands today.

That said, my new LG monitor has HDR 400, which everyone said was bunk, but it actually does something. Mind you, I can tell it would be better with dimming zones, but it's not useless.

Depending on the game, there is definitely a quality improvement, like more natural lighting and brighter highlights. So, yes, it does something even if it's not the best possible.

Last edited:
600 nits is better than the 400 nits you see on many hdr monitors. Probably fine for those that never really experienced hdr or care about it. If you want the HDR 1000 then get the G9 model. I'm not sure how I feel about these monitors yet. Let them get into the hands of actual users then see what's said about them. That's just me though.

Probably from people who have never used any other HDR display before.

This isn't the best video of last year's model, but you can clearly see the contrast between the large columns of light as the boxes move across the screen, how much lag there is as they move between zones, and how they negatively affect the black level around them.

And again, as with the G9 the G7 lineup uses an updated version of the same panels that were used in the CHG70 from last year. Real contrast ratio on these with local dimming enabled was about 2400:1. Samsung themselves advertise the G7 as having a contrast ratio of 2500:1.

updated version of the same panel? whaaaat? hahah, that can be said for every new monitor that came out since the birth of LCD's.

one has terrible smearing, the new one has none, one has bad ghosting, the new one is nearly CRT like at 240hz, one has the highest ms in 30's, the new one is in single digits.

Odyssey line up is completely different than the CHG70.

New G7:

1594425070555.png

Old CHG70:

1594424935872.png

Last edited:
Looks like the 32" has 8. Can't find info about the 27".

https://www.displayninja.com/samsung-c32g75t-review/

Looks like HDR on these is useless.

8 dimming zones would be something you would find in most 4K TVs just a few years ago. While far from great, HDR will look acceptable. It won't be no OLED or FALD of course but I would not call it useless.
8 on a 16:9 display is much better than mere 10 on a super ultrawide.

8 dimming zones would be something you would find in most 4K TVs just a few years ago. While far from great, HDR will look acceptable. It won't be no OLED or FALD of course but I would not call it useless.
8 on a 16:9 display is much better than mere 10 on a super ultrawide.

Possibly. My HP X27 has 16 dimming zones though and the HDR on that is completely worthless, worst than SDR. But it's HDR400 and a TN panel so lul. Perhaps HDR600 and being VA foe higher native contrast might make the HDR on this "ok-ish"

I was on the fence about preordering this or going with the CGR9 2 weeks ago, I opted for the CGR9 instead, while the G9 is without a doubt an amazing monitor, that curve is just way too aggressive for me, the stand way too deep. 120 fps is fine for me too. when the 3080 drops I'm not expecting it to be able to hit 240hz @ this res anyway..I don't give a shit about HDR either, hardly any pc games support it

Mainly i just didnt want to buy a new desk lol

Last edited:
240hz VA monitor? Why even bother? That panel has no hope of doing that.

Looks like I'm eating my own words on this one. Well done Samsung.

Not a purchase for me yet though. I still have to know two things:

1. Can you adjust the picture when MBR is enabled? My current crop of Samsungs don't allow this and it's a real shame. I have a light-controlled environment and 200 nits is just too bright. I didn't see anything in the Odyssey manual about NOT being able to adjust the picture (specifically brightness) with it enabled so it gives me hope.

2. Will it support single strobe 60hz strobing? Yes it'll flicker but give me the choice! Certain older games like Outrun 2006 were built for that framerate. So to be able to have motion clarity at that refresh rate would be nice.

Either way, I think it's exciting to finally have a VA panel that's fast enough to have no cross-talk at 120hz.

Interesting it took a 4k120 OLED to come out for something like this to happen...

Looks like I'm eating my own words on this one. Well done Samsung.

Not a purchase for me yet though. I still have to know two things:

1. Can you adjust the picture when MBR is enabled? My current crop of Samsungs don't allow this and it's a real shame. I have a light-controlled environment and 200 nits is just too bright. I didn't see anything in the Odyssey manual about NOT being able to adjust the picture (specifically brightness) with it enabled so it gives me hope.

2. Will it support single strobe 60hz strobing? Yes it'll flicker but give me the choice! Certain older games like Outrun 2006 were built for that framerate. So to be able to have motion clarity at that refresh rate would be nice.

Either way, I think it's exciting to finally have a VA panel that's fast enough to have no cross-talk at 120hz.

I wouldn't hold my breath for this just yet. Those response time charts look mighty impressive but as mentioned before, it fails to show some % overshoot errors to go along with it. Manufacturers have been know to cheat response times many many times before so this may just be another case of that. As an example, look at the review of this LG 240Hz monitor:
1594670090661.png

Super impressive response times with the worst transition being 3.70ms.......at the expense of RIDICULOUS overshoot. If Samsung can pull off those response times WITHOUT massive overshoot, THEN I'll be impressed.

Last edited:
It's not that good compared to other monitors they tested. But I'm not sure how reliable those results are, for example they measured about the same overshoot on the Asus PG35VQ which in the Tftcentral review it turns out has rather little overshoot. It also matters how many and which transitions do overshoot - if Samsung has implemented the OD smartly it might be barely noticeable. Also check out the photos on top of the page, including calibration results and black uniformity (it's about the same as on other cuved Samsung VA monitors with some clouding or blb along the top and bottom edges).

Also check out the photos on top of the page, including calibration results and black uniformity (it's about the same as on other cuved Samsung VA monitors with some clouding or blb along the top and bottom edges).
That blb isn't bad at all, you can consider panel lottery won with that amount. Uniformity seems to be a bigger problem. Overshoot seems high as well indeed and pixel response can also vary between 2 products with the same panel as well, so time will tell. Personally I'm waiting for a 32" 4k 120hz (or slightly sub even for all I care) flat panel, Philips should have one early next year which will be my last try with VA, if still a dud I go back to IPS...

I still can't get past the 1000R curve being pushed by Samsung here. I watched Linus review the G9, but he completely brushed over the aggressiveness of the curve. Yeah, he mentions the curve, but segues right into the history of curved panels and how they failed on TVs? What? It's like he didn't want to even bring up that this new line from Samsung represents the most aggressive curve to date, or that it even might be a possible 'con' to a potential buyer? Is it because it would have flawed the otherwise 'flawless' review he was setting up?

For those considering these as their first 'curved' experience, you are certainly subjecting yourself to a trial by fire.

Don't get me wrong, I'm 'ok' with curved desktop monitors. I will argue 'pros' for them in certain cases, like, for instance, UltraWides. But 1000R? That's borderline ludicrous even for an UltraWide. I used to think 1800R was a bit much. I had hoped that, by now, 3800R would have become the standard (wrong!). Sit in front of these 1000Rs for extended period of times and I guarantee that when you move over to a flat it will appear convex (i.e. bulging outward). I can't even imagine how absurd a 32:9 1000R will look from the side. Geordi's visor comes to mind...

I really hope this new trend is short lived. I get it... I get... curved is now the new marketing tickbox. Can we move past this teething issue and get back to sane implementations? Pretty please?

/rant

Edit: Whoops, silly me. Looks like the G9 was 32:9. Ok, so it's not quite Geordi's visor, but come on. You can't tell me that doesn't look a bit much?

Last edited:
I still can't get past the 1000R curve being pushed by Samsung here. I watched Linus review the G9, but he completely brushed over the aggressiveness of the curve. Yeah, he mentions the curve, but segues right into the history of curved panels and how they failed on TVs? What? It's like he didn't want to even bring up that this new line from Samsung represents the most aggressive curve to date, or that it even might be a possible 'con' to a potential buyer? Is it because it would have flawed the otherwise 'flawless' review he was setting up?

For those considering these as their first 'curved' experience, you are certainly subjecting yourself to a trial by fire.

Don't get me wrong, I'm 'ok' with curved desktop monitors. I will argue 'pros' for them in certain cases, like, for instance, UltraWides. But 1000R? That's borderline ludicrous even for an UltraWide. I used to think 1800R was a bit much. I had hoped that, by now, 3800R would have become the standard (wrong!). Sit in front of these 1000Rs for extended period of times and I guarantee that when you move over to a flat it will appear convex (i.e. bulging outward). I can't even imagine how absurd a 32:9 1000R will look from the side. Geordi's visor comes to mind...

I really hope this new trend is short lived. I get it... I get... curved is now the new marketing tickbox. Can we move past this teething issue and get back to sane implementations? Pretty please?

/rant

Edit: Whoops, silly me. Looks like the G9 was 32:9. Ok, so it's not quite Geordi's visor, but come on. You can't tell me that doesn't look a bit much?

The 1000R curve does look pretty extreme (particularly on the G9) but I've had a triple monitor setup before (3x1080P) and that was exactly how I set them up - except I had to deal with bezels and angles. The 32" version in the ShortCircuit video doesn't look nearly as extreme to me even though it's 1000R as well.

I have an 1800R and it barely looks curved if you're not looking for it. I like it though.

/rant

As a Samsung CRG9 owner, no it's not too much. I think the 32" 16:9 model is the one where it looks most odd but on the 49" 32:9 you need that curve. The CRG9 has a 1800R curve on it and I can tell you that it would be perfectly fine being even more curved. I think Samsung has made the exact right choice here. Curved also helps reduce VA viewing angle issues to the point you won't care when sitting in front of something as wide as the G9.

Do you think another company will make the 32 in panel but flat? This is exactly what I want but I can't do the curve. I use my current 32' inch monitor for work, I can't code and do graphic design on a curved monitor. the HP Omen 32 is great for productivity, but 75hz is kinda killing some of my gaming. Also, sometimes i sit back from it on my couch and watch movies or youtube playlists, I don't sit directly in front of it all the time.

Do you think another company will make the 32 in panel but flat? This is exactly what I want but I can't do the curve. I use my current 32' inch monitor for work, I can't code and do graphic design on a curved monitor.
There should be a flat 32" 4k 120hz VA panel coming soon-ish ( https://pcmonitors.info/philips/philips-328m1r-120hz-4k-uhd-va-model/ ) for coding that's a better resolution. Time will tell if it will be any good or a smearing mess. Maybe Samsung is also working on one... 32" 2560x1440 LG had a flat high refresh VA already out which had good reviews (LG 32GK850G-B I think).

4 Reviews on the Samsung main site saying it's the 1440p endgame monitor and saying the curve is easier on the eyes but it could be it's just the panel that makes it that way. I would buy one off Amazon but 3rd party seller is on there now with a inflated price. I never tried HDR before either.

Someone on Reddit said the flickering happens when going outside the G-Sync range. Not sure if that is true, I don't have the monitor.

I wouldn't hold my breath for this just yet. Those response time charts look mighty impressive but as mentioned before, it fails to show some % overshoot errors to go along with it. Manufacturers have been know to cheat response times many many times before so this may just be another case of that. As an example, look at the review of this LG 240Hz monitor:
View attachment 261349

Super impressive response times with the worst transition being 3.70ms.......at the expense of RIDICULOUS overshoot. If Samsung can pull off those response times WITHOUT massive overshoot, THEN I'll be impressed.

are you impressed now?

Someone on Reddit said the flickering happens when going outside the G-Sync range. Not sure if that is true, I don't have the monitor.

It is true, tho my G7 only shows slight flicker in some games during loading screen with Gsync.

I am indeed! I prefer VA over IPS when it comes to LCDs so I'd root for any improvements made to VA tech.

Imagine you were me, going to BB, pick up one of these things and while installing it you are wondering if its just another VA panel or if the news you read about it from people across the world is true.

Once i fired BF5 in HDR at 240hz, it was like BAAAAAAAAAAAAAM, there ain't coming back to the IPS and TN.

Man, I feel like I should have waited and got this monitor.

Decided to get a cheaper VA ($300) for my second rig but this Samsung looks way better.

I don't understand that review...he talks about the monitor a lot but doesn't seem to have any testing or metrics to show, and then he linked someone else's video that I've already watched (Linus's unboxing).
That’s because that site is basically just a scam and click bait for getting advert revenues and affiliate clicks. They don’t review or test their own screens and just blatantly steal content from other sites and pass it off as their own. There’s posts about them on reddit too where I believe linking to the site from monitor sections is even banned

Imagine you were me, going to BB, pick up one of these things and while installing it you are wondering if its just another VA panel or if the news you read about it from people across the world is true.

Once i fired BF5 in HDR at 240hz, it was like BAAAAAAAAAAAAAM, there ain't coming back to the IPS and TN.
Damn, I really want one of these, fingers crossed for someone to release the same panel but flat. Really want HDR and speed, don't want curve.

So how is crosstalk at 120hz? I still haven't read anything about if you can lower the brightness when using the strobed backlight.

Viewsonic has an XG270 monitor out that's blur-busters approved. Virtually no crosstalk at 120hz and tuned by Mark ("Chief" blurbuster) himself for only $429. It's got its own share of limitations though. 27 inches 1080p and IPS.

Well I am cancelling my order with Amazon now that I see Microcenter has stock of these. Going to go pick one up after work today.

Edit.
Maybe not. I just check MC site again this morning and can't find the monitor anymore. I swore I saw it on there last night with 3 in stock 🥺

Edit 2.
MC showing it again with 3 still in stock. Going to swing by and get one otw home.

Last edited:
Well I am cancelling my order with Amazon now that I see Microcenter has stock of these. Going to go pick one up after work today.

Edit.
Maybe not. I just check MC site again this morning and can't find the monitor anymore. I swore I saw it on there last night with 3 in stock 🥺

Edit 2.
MC showing it again with 3 still in stock. Going to swing by and get one otw home.

Looking forward to your impressions. I would love for you to try a couple of things when you get it. I’ll edit my post later.

Looking forward to your impressions. I would love for you to try a couple of things when you get it. I’ll edit my post later.
They had piles of 27" ones in stock. Excited to try it out but probably won't get to til Sunday evening.

Attachments

• IMG_20200717_161000.jpg
    IMG_20200717_161000.jpg
    367.6 KB · Views: 0
They had piles of 27" ones in stock. Excited to try it out but probably won't get to til Sunday evening.

Awesome. So two things I really really want to confirm:

1. Can you adjust brightness in ULMB mode? Not contrast but brightness.
2. Can you adjust the color in sRGB mode and can you do that all in ULMB.
3. How's crosstalk at 120hz?

Thanks and congrats!

Back