Samsung Odyssey 1440p VA monitors 240hz curved

Reaperkk

[H]ard|Gawd
They do go on sale, I was able to get my 32" for $650 on amazon, just keep an eye out.

Starfalcon

Gawd
Yeah I got mine on sale right before christmas for $599. Been more than happy with mine, quickest refresh since I had to stop using my CRT as my daily monitor.

kasakka

2[H]4U
Finally got to see my friend's Samsung G7 in action playing Overwatch at 240 Hz/fps. It looked really good for SDR to me and I could not notice any issues with trailing or ghosting. Very nice.

What wasn't so nice is that Samsung still has extremely slow resolution switching. It's mostly an issue when trying to enter BIOS as the initial screen gets passed before the display even wakes up. Same issue on my CRG9.

The curve on the G7 was not distracting but at the same time felt unnecessary. It's useful on a super ultrawide but something much smaller not so much.

GNUse_the_force

Limp Gawd
Finally got to see my friend's Samsung G7 in action playing Overwatch at 240 Hz/fps. It looked really good for SDR to me and I could not notice any issues with trailing or ghosting. Very nice.
The curve on the G7 was not distracting but at the same time felt unnecessary. It's useful on a super ultrawide but something much smaller not so much.

What screen size was this (sry if already mentioned). Im considering one of the new G7 range, just hoped that they had an ultrawide variant (not superultrawide) with the same response times and decent HDR.

Last edited:

QKSILVR73

Limp Gawd

What wasn't so nice is that Samsung still has extremely slow resolution switching. It's mostly an issue when trying to enter BIOS as the initial screen gets passed before the display even wakes up. Same issue on my CRG9.

That's odd. My G7 32 wakes up just fine and I see the load screen for several seconds so I have the option to get to bios settings

Reaperkk

[H]ard|Gawd
The long wakeup is my only real complaint with the monitor. Waking it up compared to my AOC monitor is much slower.

RPGWiZaRD

[H]ard|Gawd
Are there any good G7 alternatives out yet? (preferably IPS) that isn't curved, I've seen a couple reviews but I've read one faital flaw that the sRGB mode is quite locked so you cannot adjust stuff and are stuck with either non ideal settings or oversaturated image for normal content. Is there any that doesn't have that issue?

shadow2761

Limp Gawd
I have this monitor, and the high refresh and input speed is very good. But one thing that really pisses me off about this monitor, is that many times when I turn my PC on, nothing will display on the screen, almost like as if the DP cable is not connected. The fix is to hard Power reset the PC. Simple fix, but extremely annoying. It is only this monitor that this issue happens on.

Anyone else experience this issue?

shadow2761

Limp Gawd
Are there any good G7 alternatives out yet? (preferably IPS) that isn't curved, I've seen a couple reviews but I've read one faital flaw that the sRGB mode is quite locked so you cannot adjust stuff and are stuck with either non ideal settings or oversaturated image for normal content. Is there any that doesn't have that issue?

The Acer Predator IPS version is coming out within in the next 2 months according to my supplier. 240+Hz IPS, 32" non-curved.

RPGWiZaRD

[H]ard|Gawd
The Acer Predator IPS version is coming out within in the next 2 months according to my supplier. 240+Hz IPS, 32" non-curved.

I believe that one also has the issue being a monitor with expanded color space and making the sRGB pretty critical if you just want natural non oversaturated colors for regular color space use (which is like 99% what normal customers need) and I believe it had pretty locked-in sRGB mode as well but correct me if I'm wrong. Otherwise I find the Acer one highly attractive.

Biostud

Weaksauce
https://www.techpowerup.com/279269/...-2021-monitor-with-quantum-miniled-technology

he monitor is the first from the company to feature their Quantum MiniLED technology which will greatly improve peak brightness levels. The Odyssey G9 2021 will reportedly be able to reach a peak brightness of 2,000 nits when displaying HDR content. The monitor retains its 49" size, 1000R curvature, 240 Hz refresh rate, 1 ms response time, and 5,120 x 1,440 resolution.

Lepardi

Limp Gawd
Samsung just announced a flat G7 finally. No other flat alternatives.

RPGWiZaRD

[H]ard|Gawd
Cool, will definitely look into it especially how they've somehow managed to get VA response times so good on these monitors. Do the curved monitors support any strobing? I personally prefer even 144Hz strobed (with no VRR which seems like it never gonna be working perfectly due to the varying amounts of ghosting it will introduce at lower refresh rates) over 240Hz no strobing on my 240Hz TN monitor for the increase in motion smoothness and better image quality than running 240Hz.

shadow2761

Limp Gawd
Nice that quatom miniLED G9 looks nice but please release a flat screen monitor.

No way I can competativly play PUBG with that sort of large horziontal space with a curve.

Biostud

Weaksauce
Nice that quatom miniLED G9 looks nice but please release a flat screen monitor.

No way I can competativly play PUBG with that sort of large horziontal space with a curve.

They state in their press release that G3, G5 and G7 will be flat. :)

RPGWiZaRD

[H]ard|Gawd
Any ideas yet if the flat G7 will be just 27" or also 32". I prefer 32" over 27" but I would still consider the 27" as there's no other really good 32" option eitherway.

MrSteel74

[H]ard|Gawd
I currently have an Acer XB270HU that's been going strong for the last 6 years but I'm torn between the 32" version of this monitor, the ASUS VG34VQL1B and the LG 34GP3A-B; when working from home the extra screen space would be a life saver when dealing with multiple spreadsheets and using SAP.

shadow2761

Limp Gawd
Does anyone else feel like the performance of g-sync is worse than no-sync at all on the G7? I have 2 issues when I use freesync.

I have been using freesync enabled on this monitor since i got it a few months ago, and only recently I decided to try it with it disabled. Immediately I felt like it is more responsive and comfortable performance boost when I was playing PUBG.

Secondly, when I was using freesync, I experienced alot of overshoot when inside buildings in pubg. When freesync is disabled and I can select 'Faster' overdrive setting, there is practically no more overshoot and the monitor still feels more responsive than using freesync.

I was at the point of wanting to try other monitors out, but now that I have disabled freesync, the monitor feels alot more nicer to play pubg with.

Is this an abnormal experience I have described? Because I thought VRR is suppose to make gaming more responsive and smoother, yet it feels that way with it disabled in my situation.

vegeta535

Supreme [H]ardness
Does anyone have a issue with this monitor refusing to wake up after turning it off? If I have the CX55 on I can turn the monitor on and off with no issues. Sometimes the monitor refuses to wake up after going to sleep by itself. When the monitor hangs I also get no picture on the TV when I turn it on. I have to reset the computer to get them to turn on at that point. I tried 2 different DP cables and both display ports. The TV is hooked up with a hdmi 2.1.

Reaperkk

[H]ard|Gawd
I haven't had that issue. The only complaint I had is that it takes longer for to turn on compared to my second monitor.

vegeta535

Supreme [H]ardness
I haven't had that issue. The only complaint I had is that it takes longer for to turn on compared to my second monitor.
Yea it is a recent issue that began when I removed a AW UW monitor and replaced it with the CX55. I haven't tried a HDMI cable since I don't have any extra atm.