Samsung Note 10.1 - Charge + Host?

Ashton

2[H]4U
I just recently got a Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 and so far I'm quite happy with it --- except one thing, I cant find a cable that lets me charge the tablet *and* use the USB Host (OTG) port... (i.e. read files off a USB drve or play a game with a USB game pad while keeping the tablet plugged in)

Is there a way to do this? it would seem that all it needs is a splice to give power to the Power +/- pins on the connector while keeping the OTG Data +/- pins active...?

Just to be clear I want to use the OTG adapter WHILE CHARGING (I've found one device that gives both these options but says "only one function may be used at a time")

Ideas?

I went around and around on this for my Nexus 7 that I put in my cars dash where the headunit is normally. I found an answer but not one that I wanted. you can use the OTG cable and enable charging over OTG in the kernel but you cannot get both functions at once. you have to physically switch between the two sources or build a switch to do it for you.

I spent many days researching this and I was pretty sad when I found my answer. in the end, I opted for a Kingston Wi-Fi for my additional storage needs. there's something to be said for a tablet that has both a separate power and micro USB jacks for data.

wow, looks like I'm the only one who got a SGN 10.1...

As per some posts on XDA-developers, it *is* possible to do this, but it's not practical. One user built a custom charging cable and hacked the kernel to enable charging over OTG, but he said there was a major issue with timing to get it to work (I'm assuming things had to be plugged together in a certain order within a certain timeframe) --- but it *DID* work, so while it's not possible _now_ a future rom/kernel might enable it.

Also:
@ sabregen:
I'm assuming the Kingston WiFi is basically a wireless NAS? I might look into that if this becomes a major problem, right now I still have >15gb of internal space and 1 completely empty 32gb MicroSD, it's just such a pain to get data onto the MicroSD cards compared to the USB sticks...

I agree, I'm a bit dissapointed in Samsung for this... I can live with a power/HDMI but a power/OTG is extremely annoying (iirc, the SGN 2 phone has this same problem, doesnt it? sounds like samsung needs to replace the SGN line's designer...)

Back