Samsung No Longer Battery Supplier to Apple

Because stock market is driven by logic, right ? :rolleyes:

I'm hoping someone with economics insight can explain it. Any company not named Apple would be crippled. Look at what Apple has lost in the tablet market in just 2 years.

I'm hoping someone with economics insight can explain it. Any company not named Apple would be crippled. Look at what Apple has lost in the tablet market in just 2 years.

Well, they haven't lost anything but market share. You're not dealing with a saturated market here. Most people still don't own tablets, whereas most people do own some sort of PC. So Apple's sales aren't slumping, but rather they're just facing stiffer competition. If you're losing market share that doesn't necessarily mean that sales are down, it just means that more people are buying tablets and more people are looking elsewhere besides Apple.

Apple sold 26 million iPhones in its third quarter, the company announced today, coming in slightly below what analysts had expected.
The number of iPhones sold grew 28 percent year-over-year. The company's other revenue came from 17 million iPads -- an 84 percent increase -- and 4 million Macs, a 2 percent increase. All sales amount to $35 billion in revenue total.
Apple is clearly celebrating the incredible growth in iPad sales and not highlighting its iPhone sales. Analysts predicted that Apple would sell 29 million iPhones, down from its numbers for the second quarter. Apple reported then that the company sold 35.1 million devices.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-5...le-sells-26-million-iphones-in-third-quarter/

It's different than AMD's or Intel's earnings. Intel actually had an increase in market share, but because overall shipments were down and they're dealing with saturated markets (except for Asia), their stock has been tumbling since the beginning of the year.

Apple's stock is where it's at because despite what you say about them losing market share they're still averaging $40 billion in revenue and profit on that revenue each quarter. If you think any other company would be crippled is a small share in their given market, then would you say a company like Audi/BMW/Mercedes should be crippled because they only sell a fraction of cars that GM/Ford/Toyota sell?

Market share isn't the end all, be all measurement of a company's success or failure.

When you look at the practices of Apple they are very much the democrats of the tech world. PC/Samsung/Microsoft are the unsexy republicans. I look at Apples stock and i'm amazed how its worth so much when they have been losing market share in both the tablet and mobile markets at an astounding pace. Why doesn't their stock reflect it? I'm not an economist.

-1 / 10.

At least try when you're gonna troll. You didn't even reach for the low hanging fruit, you just grabbed what was on the ground.

Lol...

In befo teh lock!!!!!
cm-32236-050ac2ef45e17a.gif

but its just getting good

-1 / 10.

At least try when you're gonna troll. You didn't even reach for the low hanging fruit, you just grabbed what was on the ground.

That was hardly a troll. It was an observation on how the two markets are different.

Well, they haven't lost anything but market share. You're not dealing with a saturated market here. Most people still don't own tablets, whereas most people do own some sort of PC. So Apple's sales aren't slumping, but rather they're just facing stiffer competition. If you're losing market share that doesn't necessarily mean that sales are down, it just means that more people are buying tablets and more people are looking elsewhere besides Apple.

I gotcha. The company itself isn't unhealthy and is still meeting goals. Not a red flag yet.

may be a very bad thing for apple... i would think after apple sued (and won at least in the US) samsung that any possible supplier might be a little gun-shy about partnering with apple especially if it will only be a small profit margins

may be a very bad thing for apple... i would think after apple sued (and won at least in the US) samsung that any possible supplier might be a little gun-shy about partnering with apple especially if it will only be a small profit margins

This has been my thought, as well. Bite the hand that feeds, and word gets to the other feeders to use extreme caution.

Apple will look back on the last year or so on the relationship with Samsung and deeply regret a great number of things... of course the real issue people seem to forget (and I think apple does as well sometimes) what it is they are doing...

Apple does not invent new fanciful ways of displaying things... or New fantastic memory storage methods... or develop Li_ion tech that is 3x more efficient then anything else. They don't develop crazy cool ways to reduce the size of a true optical zoom lens to fit into mobile devices....

Um ya those things are done by Samsung... In 2011 they spent over 9 BILLION dollars on R&D alone. No they where not hiring design collage washouts with bad haircuts to make what used to be white black... They spent that money designing all the Really cool tech so that those apple hippies could curve the edges of there units just a little more... put them on a diet to loose a few onces... and pop the brightness of there screens up.

Apple owns Patents on Design related things like beveled edges and how diddling your unit with a pinky instead of a thumb thinks different.

Samsung on the other hand owns Patents .... that make things go. LCD Amolid... liquid lens tech... li-ion polymers....

Apple sometimes buys there own bull shit... there a design company and their main design guru is gone... it is really not a good time to be ticking off the real brains behind there products. (mainly Samsung right now)... goodness help Apple if Samsung lucks into a design superstar in the next few years and starts using there superior tech to turn out products that start to compete in the design arena as well.

It's worse when you consider who they have to go to to manufacture and make these parts"

Toshiba for batteries NAND? batteries? They're also a competitor.

LG is essentially their only option for high end displays as well, and they're definitely a competitor.

Fabs? Sure, you can get top priority, but expect to be bent over.

It's like I noted to my family member over dinner, Apple doesn't have a top-to-bottom approach like these other companies and as a result they've got to pay higher prices. That's the sort of risk you run when your business relies on receiving an already made product, slapping a label on it and shipping it to someone's door.

I really don't see Apple doing all that well going forward. There aren't many companies who will provide parts and parts alone without dabbling in making a product themselves. Hell, look at Foxconn and Huawei.

Now we just need Foxconn to Say FUCK YOU to apple. Since it's been stated before that Foxconn does not like making apple garbage.

Now someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure that the CEO of the most valuable company in the world properly weighed the pros and cons before dabbling into this whole affair.

What pro's could there possibly be? Samsung has proven they are more then happy to raise the prices for various parts sold to apple after the first verdict succeeded and apple was awarded settlement. They have no choice but either pay more for the parts and raise the price of the devices.... or cut all ties and deal with other companies that seem to have problems.

How about The Simpsons last night - maybe the user agreement says "Submit" not "Agree." Steve Mobs talks from the grave. I missed out on the virtual stapler app.

What pro's could there possibly be? Samsung has proven they are more then happy to raise the prices for various parts sold to apple after the first verdict succeeded and apple was awarded settlement. They have no choice but either pay more for the parts and raise the price of the devices.... or cut all ties and deal with other companies that seem to have problems.

They also have a multi-year contract with samsung for those parts, so they don't have the option to cut ties, or they will face litigation for that. Apple is up shit creek without a paddle, and it's their own effing fault.

Back