Samsung MU6290 40" 4K HDR as monitor

spintroniX

Gawd
Folks, I've been rocking a dual monitor setup. 27" with a 20" side monitor ( old leftover from 2007 ).

The 20" finally died, so I'm looking to buy a new display by the end of the year. Saving up now.

The MU6290 caught my eye as a decent display with a reasonable price ( ~$400 )

Primary use is developing and will also do the occasional gaming (after I upgrade my gpu)

Reviews seem positive - does anyone have anything negative to say about this display? Is the input lag tolerable?

I bet it's basically the same (or slightly updated) from the KU6300 model I have. If so, it's a great buy at $400.

I'm using it for web browsing and gaming (PC and PS4 Pro). For that, it's been pretty good. I haven't tried doing any coding on it, as I have another machine with triple 27"ers, which are a little better for that. However, it should work.

Input lag is reasonable, at least in Game Mode, but it is worse than a high-end monitor. However, it's not bad and certainly within usable limits.

There was an issue with motion blur or trails on certain content (especially switching from black to white, as you might see on text) but the issue almost totally went away for me (I'm not sure how).

Overall I'd say it's a great TV to use as a monitor, and I've been happy with it. Granted, it would be nice if it did 120Hz, or had G-Sync/FreeSync, or if the HDR support were better, but honestly it's almost impossible to find that in the 40" range, and certainly not for $400.

it's very good as a pc monitor, with very low input lag, and is on sale for $330 or less around this black friday.

Thanks for the input folks. I went ahead and ordered one - should be here in a few days.

I'll be keeping my 27" Qnix as a side monitor to help with coding. We'll see if it's needed, or if the 40 incher is enough

If anyone wants pictures or something when I get it, I'm happy to oblige.

Good viewing angles, uniformity, high contrast, supports 4:4:4 chroma, 60Hz on all ports and remote. Great as monitor especially if you can get it for less than $300.

Good viewing angles, uniformity, high contrast, supports 4:4:4 chroma, 60Hz on all ports and remote. Great as monitor especially if you can get it for less than $300.

Also, input lag is quite low, even at 4k 60Hz 4:4:4. But there is a downside...it has pretty significant motion blur. Otherwise, it is a great TV for use as a monitor.

Also, input lag is quite low, even at 4k 60Hz 4:4:4. But there is a downside...it has pretty significant motion blur. Otherwise, it is a great TV for use as a monitor.
So how bad would motion blur affect CAD programs?

oh and its made from cheap-version of backlighting aka PWM. get a sony or a LG Oled if you have eye strain

Just keep the backlight at 13 or higher and there's no flicker.

That is very true. Flicker bothers me and above backlight 12- there's no flicker.

So how bad would motion blur affect CAD programs?

I'm using it with Fusion 360. Due to color scheme (gray on white) normally I do not notice 'trails'. If I make my model black, than yes, for a split of a second, when rotated fast you can see a yellow 'shadow' where object was. I do not have a fast computer so when moved fast, object is not moving smoothly. I'm guessing that I could see more of the 'trails' if it was. Overall, since my models are usually gray, I'm quite alright with Samsung's performance and don't know what to do what all that 4k space, which is a nice problem to have.

Note that I do not see 'trails' when scrolling text as others pointed out so there may be variation between panels (and I have MU6300)

EDIT: after using it for a while I do see more instances of 'trails'. Trails are more like yellow shadows most of the time (red trails from red objects). I notice it the most when looking at KicKad drawings or reading PDFs. With that said, because of no flicker, high contrast and screen uniformity I'll stick with this 'monitor' for now.

Last edited:
You should check this thread. It's on the Ku6300, which is basically the same as the KU2690 (which I use as monitor), which is basically the same as the MU6290 or the MU6300 because there's been negligible changes since last year. It'll be very informative on many of our impressions owning these 40" screens. Heads up: forget about the HDR features in these models. It's a good large format 4K display though.

Back