Samsung Magician Drive Health Accuracy

Stevan

n00b
Hello,

I have recently purchased new Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB M2 NVMe. It was in the original package etc. I have installed windows, browsers, office and a couple of other programmes taking around 55GB on my SSD. I did that in two days (didn't use the desktop other than that) and when I installed Samsung Magician it was showing 220GB have been written. I have run benchmark test and it jumped to 361GB. In two days after that the written number jumped to 367GB and I wasn't downloading anything. My temp files are around 600MB. I have typed a couple of word documents and that's it. In total in those two days I might have used desktop for 3-4h.

My concern is that the data is written quite a lot for my usage and that I had 220GB already with the above installations. Second question would be can benchmark test write so much data (approx. 140GB)?

Do you think these are normal behaviours?

Thanks

I wouldnt even worry about it, the boot drive for my old system had around 67 TB written on it when I stopped using it after 9 years. It still shows completely fine in magician.

I wouldnt even worry about it, the boot drive for my old system had around 67 TB written on it when I stopped using it after 9 years. It still shows completely fine in magician.
Thanks. My worry is that this writing doesn't increase, even though I am not installing nor doing much demanding work for now.

Well you always have a bunch of updates running in the background. Look at Adobe, edge, office etc... they run checks many times every hour. Wouldn't surpirse me in the update a log file every single time.
That word doc is backing up temporarily evry 5 minutes (or whatever you have it set to).
It is absolutely amazing the amount of temp files that are written by applications.

Don't forget about Windows update. There were likely some updates needed after you installed. that right there can account for a bunch of written data. Plus the Windows swap file. Remember that is almost in constant use by the OS. Probably a lot of what you see is simply the OS dping its job.

so you numbers don't really surprise me much.

Well you always have a bunch of updates running in the background. Look at Adobe, edge, office etc... they run checks many times every hour. Wouldn't surpirse me in the update a log file every single time.
That word doc is backing up temporarily evry 5 minutes (or whatever you have it set to).
It is absolutely amazing the amount of temp files that are written by applications.

Don't forget about Windows update. There were likely some updates needed after you installed. that right there can account for a bunch of written data. Plus the Windows swap file. Remember that is almost in constant use by the OS. Probably a lot of what you see is simply the OS dping its job.

so you numbers don't really surprise me much.

Thanks, I guess I'll forget about it for a while :)

Hi, just an update for anyone who is wondering the same :) I did a test and my ssd had 9,7GBs written on it on average per day. I have run the test for 25 days, have installed a couple of programmes etc, but not games. I guess it took some time to install updates and who knows what, but it is normal now. It will take me around 164 years to reach the guaranteed limit :) I guess it will die of age rather than of the use. And the warranty is only 5 years.

It will be fine. People are over protective of their SSD. The average life of a SSD will probably out last most HDD. It is so over blown even on QLC drives. I have a SSD that is 8 years old that been used in various applications from boot drive, storage and portable media in a enclosure that still has over 90% of its life left. I was lucky to get 2 years out of my WD raptors HDD back in the day
5 for most standard HDD.

Back