Samsung Loads McAfee Antivirus Onto Smart TVs

Um what is the point? TVs are in walled gardens. You going to get a virus streaming off the Netflix app?

I've been wanting to change my old SHARP 46" tv but i didn't know what brand to pick, i guess this makes it easier, 1 brand less i'll never touch..

This seems like a terrible idea to us. But when I think about it, for every tech-type person on these boards who knows how silly or pointless this is there has to be at least 500 people who aren't tech savvy at all, the type that would only remember those brand names that they saw in Staples. And they would wander in to Best Buy and hear the sales pitch about how this TV is the newest Samsung Smart TV, designed to connect to the internet for streaming video and built with McAfee Security Suite pre-installed. And they would probably think to themselves, "That's what I need."

Last edited:
I remember when you bought a TV, unboxed it, plugged it in, raised up the rabbit ears and started watching. Now its buy it, unbox it, plug it in, check the remote, pair remote with other devices, put tape over the camera, fight with TV to keep it from doing crap you don't want it to do, wonder if it used the Facebook SDK and is reporting everything you do to FB, connect black cabling against a black background in the dark, fight with bloatware, worry about OS updates, etc. And this is a 'smart' TV?

Man you are buying some shitty TVs if you have that much of a headache.

What portion of the Mcafee AV suite is it? Just running the same old signature based protection?

*Glances up lovingly at his not-connected TCL 55" 4k*

Shitty picture with cheap Chinese caps that are gonna blow in a couple years. Yeah, you keep looking at that thing lovingly lol.

Back on topic. Seriously Samsung.. What the actual fuck? Way to guarantee my next screen won't be Samsung.

You could use that, but I have an up squared nuc-type debian box as my firewall. I don't know of any Pi's that have multiple gigabit Ethernet connectors and ddr4 memory. Pihole with Google fiber would be a huge waste.

You could use that, but I have an up squared nuc-type debian box as my firewall. I don't know of any Pi's that have multiple gigabit Ethernet connectors and ddr4 memory. Pihole with Google fiber would be a huge waste.

Running pihole on Ubuntu Server in a VM on a fanless box with ESXi, has four Intel GigE ports...

Back