Samsung Loads McAfee Antivirus Onto Smart TVs

Discussion in 'HardForum Tech News' started by AlphaAtlas, Feb 28, 2019.

1. AlphaAtlas

AlphaAtlas [H]ard|Gawd Staff Member

TechSpot reports that Samsung is pre-installing Mcafee Security on its 2019 TVs because McAfee is paying them to do it. As the publication points out, Samsung TVs run the partially open source, largely Samsung developed Tizen OS, so whatever software McAfee installs won't have much in common with McAfee security suites on other platforms. Financial benefits aside, TechSpot believes there's no real reason to run a "McAfee Security" app on the TV when Samsung could just bake similar security measures into OS itself. The Samsung Smart TV app ecosystem is strictly controlled anyway, and any malicious actors that really wanted to target Tizen would just work around McAfee since they know it will be pre-installed.

Officially, here is Samsung's statement on the matter: McAfee extended its contract to have McAfee Security for TV technology pre-installed on all Samsung Smart TVs produced in 2019. Along with being the market leader in the Smart TV category worldwide, Samsung is also the first company to pre-install security on these devices, underscoring its commitment to building security in from the start. McAfee Security for TV scans the apps that run on Samsung smart TVs to identify and remove malware.

On a personal note, I've dealt with way too much Samsung bloatware in the past. Laptops, Blu-Ray players, TVs, Tablets, even peripherals and appliances... they've all come with trashy software, and I'm still salty about it.

2. Darth Ender

Darth Ender Limp Gawd

I was really considering qdots when the real stuff went on sale but I guess it will be lg instead.

Every device you hook up to the TV supports all the same streaming functionality. I'll just be sure to keep my TV disconnected from the internet. I don't need ads (which I block at the firewall) or any other 'smart' TV features. I just need a good big display. Nothing else. Especially not some waste of cpu, virus scanner.

3. Bigdady92

Bigdady92 [H]ardness Supreme

Nope Nope Nope Nope. Never buy a Samsung anything again.

travanx, DrDoU, Armenius and 8 others like this.
  4. Master_shake_

Master_shake_ [H]ardForum Junkie

aren't samsung the people who inject ads in to videos you have on your internal network?

i'll stick with LG too.

5. captaindiptoad

captaindiptoad Limp Gawd

First the S10, now their TVs......

i was going to get a new S10, and a samsung TV.... literally, this month..... but now....

LG it is then!

travanx, Armenius, fadedlogic and 2 others like this.
  6. dvsman

dvsman 2[H]4U

I love Samsung phones but they are hella bloaty and proprietary. No thanks, I'll stick with LG for my OLED TVs.

7. Master_shake_

Master_shake_ [H]ardForum Junkie

LG is loving this

here's their next ad campaign.

"hey, we're not Samsung"

Wrecked Em, Armenius, Roberty and 7 others like this.
  8. PhaseNoise

PhaseNoise [H]ard|Gawd

Well, kudos. They found a way for me to hate "smart tv" functionality even more.

I avoid all that and just use a 30 dollar roku stick which does it better anyway.

AlphaQup, Armenius, Roberty and 3 others like this.
  9. kromc5

kromc5 [H]Lite

One of the reasons I keep sticking with projectors, even though the prices at the 86 inch are now very tempting.

mbelue likes this.
  10. tempertantrum

tempertantrum Limp Gawd

Great, another thing that can bog down a system, cause more problems with apps, and in general make the device more obsolete quicker. I'm regretting buying a Note 9 a few months ago, this just makes me like Samsung even less...

Armenius likes this.
  11. viper1152012

viper1152012 [H]ard|Gawd

Have mostly lg everything solely because I haven't had issues with any of it.

These stories make me feel more comfortable in my choices.

LG, the last unmonitized frontier

12. Auer

Auer Gawd

And the masses who buy Samsung will love the "Additional Security Feature"

Armenius likes this.
  13. U-238

U-238 Limp Gawd

*Glances up lovingly at his not-connected TCL 55" 4k*

Armenius, dvsman, KazeoHin and 2 others like this.
  14. EchtoGammut

EchtoGammut 2[H]4U

I was literally debating between the LG C97 and the Samsung Q900 75 for my living room TV. My long adversarial relationship with McAfee just made that decision easy. If they decide to do this with the S10, I won't be nabbing one of those either.

Armenius likes this.
  15. Auer

Auer Gawd

I have LG monitors, phone etc but I don't feel overly comfortable about the future as far as bloatware goes on any brand these days.

viper1152012 likes this.
  16. Lakados

Lakados [H]ard|Gawd

This has got to be the most literal definition of “Security Theater” I have ever seen.

Derangel, Armenius, KazeoHin and 3 others like this.
  17. Grimham

Grimham [H]ard|Gawd

If a company feels the need to put an antivirus on their Smart TVs then they're doing it wrong in the first place.

And Mcafee Antivirus of all the shitty things! I may be talking out of my ass here since I haven't had to use them in years, but they were the absolute worst AV software in terms of bogging down a system I've ever seen.

Armenius, DooLocsta and DrezKill like this.
  18. Gweenz

Gweenz [H]ard|Gawd

They don't care what you think. This is to make the stock price of both companies go up, not produce a better product.

Armenius likes this.
  19. Darunion

Darunion 2[H]4U

I like smart boxes, like an apple tv or roku. Something less expensive to upgrade than the entire tv. I just want a giant fast dumb display.

Armenius, SolarisGuru and Auer like this.
  20. Puterguru

Puterguru 2[H]4U

Such a great idea. So after 3 months of watching on your new television "Warning your trial version of McAfee is about to expire" No thank you.

Poseur, travanx, AlphaQup and 8 others like this.
  21. Zareek

Zareek Limp Gawd

If you going integrate Antivirus at least use one that does something! McAfee is garbage, perhaps the worst Antivirus out there. It doesn't matter if they pay you to integrate it, if it's gonna make your product worse turn down the money. Bigger question is how McAfee is going to monetize this? Advertise to you on your TV that they are protecting you??? Yeah that's fun... No Samsung TVs for me!

Armenius, fadedlogic and Auer like this.
  22. SixFootDuo

SixFootDuo [H]ardness Supreme

This is sickening, they are clearly going after peoples heightened fears about security in a money grab for a new re-occurring money stream. Such bullshit and watch, it will be like a $4.99 a month type offering. And a lot of people will sign up for it.

23. Auer

Auer Gawd

So first they market appliances that spy on you and then they sell you a fix....

GG

$trapped, travanx, Armenius and 2 others like this.
  24. SixFootDuo

SixFootDuo [H]ardness Supreme

Best thing all of you guys can do is when the opportunity arises and if your up to the task, educate your friends and family.

Armenius, Darunion and Auer like this.
  25. Darunion

Darunion 2[H]4U

It's the closest to being batman I think I can manage to do.

Armenius likes this.
  26. Blown 89

Blown 89 2[H]4U

So in other words McAffee will slowly consume and corrupt the TV to the point of not working in 6 months?

Fresch, travanx, Armenius and 2 others like this.
  27. Krenum

Krenum [H]ardForum Junkie

Yet another reason not to buy Shamsung.

28. pillagenburn

pillagenburn Gawd

Your TV will develop a cocaine habit and start hoarding guns in your house - when you try to turn your TV on it will shoot at you and when you turn it off loud profanities will come from the speakers.

29. Sycraft

Sycraft [H]ardness Supreme

I'd give Vizio and Sony a look as well/instead. Problem with LG's LCDs is they are doing RGBW but not properly doing it with 4 subpixels per pixel but only 3. So you have an RGB pixel then a WRG pixel, then a BWR pixel and go on. Fucks with the fine detail of things, particularly if you are using a computer with it. Not an issue with the OLEDs, they are RGBW but have 4 per pixel.

I got a Vizio P series personally and am pleased with its quality for the price. The P series Quantum looks really great and competes pretty well with Samsung's higher end displays.

Armenius likes this.
  30. Rahh

Rahh [H]ard|Gawd

If you all think the other brands don't have bloatware built in you'd be sorely mistaken. I'm willing to bet this has no effect on their sales and for those voting with their wallet not to buy Samsung then good for you. More customers should do this but at the end of the day it's not going to matter and Samsung will still be a leading contender in the field for phones and TV's. /timestamp

31. Dead Parrot

Dead Parrot 2[H]4U

I remember when you bought a TV, unboxed it, plugged it in, raised up the rabbit ears and started watching. Now its buy it, unbox it, plug it in, check the remote, pair remote with other devices, put tape over the camera, fight with TV to keep it from doing crap you don't want it to do, wonder if it used the Facebook SDK and is reporting everything you do to FB, connect black cabling against a black background in the dark, fight with bloatware, worry about OS updates, etc. And this is a 'smart' TV?

32. travisty

travisty Gawd

I liked my previous Samsung phone. I went with the Pixel 2 and i'm never going back to samsung. So much unneeded crapware on those phones!

FrgMstr likes this.
  33. Disco_Stu_04

Disco_Stu_04 Limp Gawd

Turns on tv to watch Superbowl-

"Please wait until McAfee Antivirus completes system scan..."

DrDoU, Armenius, dvsman and 2 others like this.
  34. The Mad Atheist

The Mad Atheist Gawd

Is it going to bog down my video playing like how it does on my phone every time it scans my phone, EVERY F-in day!?

Armenius likes this.
  35. capnstabn

capnstabn Limp Gawd

For real. After becoming a home owner I had multiple Samsung appliances fail in 1-2 years. Replaced with LG and I've been happy.

travanx and Armenius like this.
  36. NickJames

NickJames [H]ardness Supreme

What the fuck? I am out.. No way sir, I will not put that piece of shit on my TV.

Armenius likes this.
  37. seanreisk

seanreisk Gawd

Geez, I haven't used bloatware from McAfee or Norton/Symantec since the 90's, I don't understand how they stay in business.

P.S. I still use Kapersky. :bear:

The Mad Atheist and Armenius like this.
  38. awawa

awawa n00b

I still don't know if it's really worth it to pay for an AV vs using Windows Defender, considering you're a slightly better than average user.

And I've dumped Samsung at least 5 years ago. LG is just better: pure no frills good tech. Maybe rnot the best, but always good, and reasonably priced.

Armenius likes this.
  39. M76

M76 [H]ardForum Junkie

What is the purpose of smart TV-s? I mean I saw one recently, and it takes longer to boot than my computer.

And Mcafee should be added to the list of "potentially unwanted software" or adware in other AV programs at this point.

40. Stimpy88

Stimpy88 [H]ard|Gawd

The dangers of running open source networked software in consumer appliances 101...