Samsung Launches iPhone 5 'Attack Ad'

HardOCP News

[H] News
Samsung's new Galaxy S III ad is pretty funny but not really worthy of a news post by itself. It is the response to the ad that makes the ad worthy of sharing. C|Net is actually calling it an "attack ad" that "slams" people waiting in line for an iPhone 5. Oh c'mon, an attack ad? Really?

Well, what do you expect? CNET is talking about the iPhone 5 like it's the next coming of Christ, when all it does it bring it just below the standards of existing Android phones.

My HTC One S has a bigger screen and does everything the iPhone 5 does (panoramic shots, take a picture while taking video, etc), so I'm not sure why people are waiting in line for it.

Well, what do you expect? CNET is talking about the iPhone 5 like it's the next coming of Christ, when all it does it bring it just below the standards of existing Android phones.

My HTC One S has a bigger screen and does everything the iPhone 5 does (panoramic shots, take a picture while taking video, etc), so I'm not sure why people are waiting in line for it.

If I had to buy an iPhone 5 it'll be because I don't want to have to repurchase all of my apps I've accumulated since my iPhone 3Gs, iPod Touch, and now iPhone 4s. Not because it's more of the same or because it's Apple.

I'm skipping the 5 though for a couple reasons: I'm an "s" guy. 3gs, 4s. I let everyone else beta test a major version and get the "s" revision. Second reason is, well I just got the 4s about 4 months ago, so I don't qualify for an upgrade for another year and a half.

Not everyone who buys iPhones are Jobs worshipers. It's convenient for some of us too. Also for me, it's a company phone (with a grandfathered unlimited data/voice/text plan) and I have no desire to give that up.

iphone is too easy to make fun of

yet, millions of people don't care how inferior it is. They only care about the shiny, sophisticated, yet simple looking case, and the cool looking apple logo on back

It's all marketing BS. The president of Samsung Mobile should just go piss on Steve Jobs grave already and get it overwith!

I do like how it's basically the same as the older iPhone attack ads, and yanno what nothing has changed the company known for innovation is still behind the times.

Best part is saving the spot for the guy's parents and having all the hipsters look of disbelief :D

Really? One sentence to describe the reason: stupid consumer society. There is no reason to wait in line for hours for any consumer product whatsoever, with the exception of food and water if you are on a war zone.

I'd say it was a marginal attack on iPhone users at the start there ("headphone jack...ON THE BOTTOM *mind blown*"), but nothing they said later was really untrue in any way.

Kinda funny.

I don't understand the thing going on here.
Is everyone anti apple, or just pro-samsung?
Is it because apple won the latest case in court?

Sometimes I just want to stop asking myself these questions and just pick a side and bash on the other side to just get over it.

Really? One sentence to describe the reason: stupid consumer society. There is no reason to wait in line for hours for any consumer product whatsoever, with the exception of food and water if you are on a war zone.

ahem, you forgot black friday in your list.

Sometimes I just want to stop asking myself these questions and just pick a side and bash on the other side to just get over it.

99% off Hard hates apple. Get it now?

Samsung truth ads are always awesome.

...and what was Apple's ad tactic?

99% off Hard hates apple. Get it now?
I don't hate Apple. I love my iPad 2 and I liked my 3GS when I had one.

I just think most Apple worshippers are idiots, and I don't like the mentality that a lot of them have.

Just cause ppl on [H] are able to choose a product on it's merits doesn't make them idiots. It means they don't say 1 brand sucks cause it's not their favorite brand of koolaid.

Samsung truth ads are always awesome.

...and what was Apple's ad tactic?

I wouldn't call it truth ad. Just as Apple's ad, it's white lies and half truths ad.

For example, WHY does Samsung Galaxy SIII have 2GB while Apple iPhone 5 have 512mb? And despite the small amount of RAM, why is the iPhone 5 still faster than the S3?

They don't tell you that in the ads. They just say "we have 2gb while they have 512mb. More ram is obviously better!". What they don't say is "well Android is horribly optimized, so we have to throw in a powerhorse processor and a shit ton of ram so this phone can keep up".

All companies do that. Apple. Samsung, Sony, you name it.

Just cause ppl on [H] are able to choose a product on it's merits doesn't make them idiots. It means they don't say 1 brand sucks cause it's not their favorite brand of koolaid.

Thats not what happens here. Its blind hate.

"We have a big screen"

"We have an even bigger screen"

But I don't want a huge screen on my PHONE, if I want a bigger screen, I'll get a Tablet. I like phone sized phones in my pocket and in my hands.

Love all the features on the Galaxy S3 except for the ridiculously large screen. I'm not on the side that increasing screen sizes is good for MOBILE phones. I don't think a bigger screen is a good feature.

S3 has 2GB for US versions and 1GB for quad core version
iPhone 5 has 1GB

Well I was little off, I didn't know there was a difference between S3 versions. As for the iPhone 5, I thought it was 512mb like the 4s. Oops.

But anyways, my point was Samsung doesn't say why they need all that power, just that they have it. iPhone 4s is still faster than the S3 (except cellular data internet speed of course), nevermind the iPhone 5. They're not going to tell you that.

[H]aters sees Apple as a patent troll but little do they know that everyone's suing each other left and right. The media just loves Apple since they are the most valuable company...EVER :)

Did the [H]aters see this one? I would say..most likely not.

Samsung Sues LG for Alleged OLED Technology Theft
http://www.devicemag.com/2012/09/11/samsung-sues-lg-for-alleged-oled-technology-theft/

Brb patenting round shape for tires.

You are seriously going to compare a real technology that took years to develop versus a shape?

If I had to buy an iPhone 5 it'll be because I don't want to have to repurchase all of my apps I've accumulated since my iPhone 3Gs, iPod Touch, and now iPhone 4s. Not because it's more of the same or because it's Apple.

I'm skipping the 5 though for a couple reasons: I'm an "s" guy. 3gs, 4s. I let everyone else beta test a major version and get the "s" revision. Second reason is, well I just got the 4s about 4 months ago, so I don't qualify for an upgrade for another year and a half.

Not everyone who buys iPhones are Jobs worshipers. It's convenient for some of us too. Also for me, it's a company phone (with a grandfathered unlimited data/voice/text plan) and I have no desire to give that up.

I read this post in its entirety. I am ok with this post. You are a reasonable person.

I personally will consider an iphone when they 1. use a usb connector 2. have a memory card slot.

well no one really is anti apple, they just hate that apple is always behind in latest tech and when they catch up they've (some case apple in others the original maker) perfected it. as one of the reviewer said, android phones offer more futures but their updates have lots of glitches while apple's updates only brings lags to older version and nothing else.

reason i'm not getting iphone is no SD card slots, as the current iphone 4s is more than capable of running all the apps from app store just not enough space for some. (not big problem but we've to keep transferring music back and forth and have to keep back up in PC and that sucks if you've about 100GB of music) beside if they'd come up with bigger version i bet people would have bought it for $499 with contract or $899/999 without contract.

I wouldn't call it truth ad. Just as Apple's ad, it's white lies and half truths ad.

For example, WHY does Samsung Galaxy SIII have 2GB while Apple iPhone 5 have 512mb? And despite the small amount of RAM, why is the iPhone 5 still faster than the S3?

They don't tell you that in the ads. They just say "we have 2gb while they have 512mb. More ram is obviously better!". What they don't say is "well Android is horribly optimized, so we have to throw in a powerhorse processor and a shit ton of ram so this phone can keep up".

All companies do that. Apple. Samsung, Sony, you name it.

The iPhone 5 is not faster. Its UI is faster because by its nature iOS prioritizes UI over everything else. This gives the illusion of the device being faster all the time when it is actual faster only some of the time.

As to why I don't like Apple... It is all about choices the repeatedly make that I don't like. It started with the iPod and only got worse from there. Why would I want to pay twice as much to carry half as much music and have DRM added to music I rip from my own CD's so I can't move them to any device I want? Sorry Apple, I will save the $$ and the headaches and get some other companies superior, but less pretty, product.

Same kind of stuff still applies with this newest phone. Like with the I/O system. Everyone else in the world uses the open USB standard. Apple chooses not to use it. I am always misplacing my cables temporarily, so I went to monoprice and purchased a dozen USB cables for $0.65 each and have a few at work, one in any bag I might ever use, and a few at home. Now I never have to worry about being without. If I went Apple that would cost me over $100 instead of under $20.... And the only reason for it is so Apple can GOUGE THE CRAP out of its customers.

This is the best marketing.

Consumer "What does your phone do?"

Samsung "DUH, it's NOT an iPhone! Buy it!"

Consumer "...What?"

When is Samsung going to realize that Apple people are NOT going to buy their phones?

You are 1 billion dollars wrong. Evidence was just used in that recent case that people were fooled by Samsung's design into thinking it was an iPhone. Unless you are supporting Samsung's claims.

Thave DRM added to music I rip from my own CD's so I can't move them to any device I want?

Same kind of stuff still applies with this newest phone. Like with the I/O system. Everyone else in the world uses the open USB standard. Apple chooses not to use it. I am always misplacing my cables temporarily, so I went to monoprice and purchased a dozen USB cables for $0.65 each and have a few at work, one in any bag I might ever use, and a few at home. Now I never have to worry about being without. If I went Apple that would cost me over $100 instead of under $20.... And the only reason for it is so Apple can GOUGE THE CRAP out of its customers.
where do you guys come up with this stuff?

do you just make it up, listen to other people without checking if they're feeding you a line of bullshit, or what is it exactly?

apple doesn't add DRM to music you rip from your CD's. they don't even DRM iTunes music.

iDevice cables cost the same cheap amount on monoprice or ebay as non-iDevice cables. Sure, they cost $20 bucks if you walk into an Apple store, but so do usb cables if you buy them from a T-Mobile or AT&T storefront and even more if you go to WorstBuy. Or do you just listen to people whine on here about proprietary apple cable bullshit that isn't true without bothering to do a rudimentary search on monoprice or ebay to find out that they cables *aren't* proprietary. LOL

Its mainstream media, what do you expect?

Heck, I was watching TV the other day and they were talking about how the iPhone5 is going to fix the American economy and act as a big stimulus, expecting a 5% increase in GDP alone.

No other phone gets as much free press as the iPhone or Apple in general. In fact, even articles that talk about other things always end up comparing it TO an Apple product lately, its sad.

I assume its just a culture thing with the segment of society that gets into TV/radio/marketing, and they feel the need to evangelize and spin facts to sway public opinion.

Samsung blows especially when comes to supporting their products. I have lcd 240 hertz led lcd and I can't use media center because haven't upgraded firmware so half of mhv/avi files patial work or not supported. Another example is I have P3 samsung touch screen mp and media player they stopped supporting through firmware. Samsung only cares about current generation (year or less). Tired paying big bucks for being obsolete in less than a year. I don't really care for big companies because they end upo to big to support the users that put them there. Now I have to buy a media center so I can play updated codecs.

Anyways waiting for company who cares about their end user. Isn't Apple, Sony or Samsung.

I'm waiting for Apple to enter the automobile market. I hear their first gen product will feature new innovations like cruise control and power windows. Next gen is even rumored to have automatic transmission. AUTOMATIC!!! I just hope anyone else who makes a device with four wheels and an engine has a good legal team.

Back