Samsung Launches iPhone 5 'Attack Ad'

I never said you couldn't, but just because someone is focused on customisable in one area doesn't mean they are interested in customisable in all areas ;) I like to customise things that are actually fun to customise, my high end PC where I'm trying to squeeze every inch of performance out, the track car which drinks gallons of fuel and eats a fresh set of tyres for breakfast, lunch and tea... not the phone I used to make meetings, ring my Mum and check my emails, not the car which I want to get me the hour to and from work as cheaply as possible :p

Based on the fact this is an enthusiast forum, if I were to hazard a guess at what "tech enthusiast" meant it'd be less about people who like customisable things and be more along the lines of "someone who cares more about someone elses' purchases than is typically considered sane" :p

Like I said I'm not going to comment on high end android vs iphone because I've never had a high end android to know. I know my low end android is a piece of shit and my iphone is wonderful but that's a different story :p

One of my nerd friends always talks about phones and customising phones and in the end it comes down to a discussion of "and why would I want to customise my smart phone beyond what an iphone already does" and neither of us can ever think of a good reason :p

Well a shining example is widgets on android. You can stick with your screen full of shortcuts. How about that piece of shite notification bar on apple? It's a half ass copy of android and is about 5% as useful.

I don't understand the thing going on here.
Is everyone anti apple, or just pro-samsung?
Is it because apple won the latest case in court?

Sometimes I just want to stop asking myself these questions and just pick a side and bash on the other side to just get over it.

From my point of view, I'm a previous iPhone 3GS owner, and moved on to Android as I noticed the lack of anything "innovative" from the annual iPhone release for two years.

And I posted a link to this news item on Monday in here http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1717090&page=6

It makes perfect sense to want a phone that is no-hassle and easy to use and rarely requires any maintenance. It can be fun and helpful to mod your PC to hell and back, and I'm sure some people prefer their phones that way too.

But it's ignorant to think that a phone that "just works" is a stupid purchase for someone who carries whatever the fuck an [H] card is. I personally use my iPhone all the time to contact people and as my main point of contact with most of my family and friends. I I had to new around with it all the time trying to root it and get some new software to work on it, I'd be awful frustrated. I love building PC/, but when it comes to my phone I just want it to do its job.

Is tat too unreasonable?

That's exactly my point. You obviously don't need an iPhone to suit your needs. You're being taken in by their marketing and because it's 'hip.' You're EXACTLY the type of platform-ignorant consumer Apple is pandering to. There are any number of 'feature phones' that handle e-mail and texting and calls. If you're not using your phone for music, movies, internet browsing, productivity apps, (ugh) social networking, news and games then it's *pointless* to have one.

So on the other end, my Galaxy Nexus has 'just worked' for 11 months. I've had zero problems with it aside from two random reboots (my iPhone 4 has done that or randomly turned itself off about 27 times). I send/receive mail on 5 different accounts without issue while my iPhone decides to inexplicably 'lose' all ability to connect to my single exchange account about once a month, requiring the account to be removed and recreated... and that's with barely using it. Oh yeah, it 'just works' great by comparison.

Add to that a huge number of 'small' usability issues or design features that make my Galaxy Nexus far and away better to use than my iPhone, while the GNex isn't even the best Android phone available. Screen size, OS (and subsequent app) accessibility (WITHOUT rooting), Hardware accessibility (I can change my battery!) home screen customization, media file type support, battery life, network speed, networkability (ad hoc, sip/voip support) and the fact that I can actually use a file manager.

Oh, the iphone has a little higher pixel density than my GNex. There ya go.

One of my nerd friends always talks about phones and customising phones and in the end it comes down to a discussion of "and why would I want to customise my smart phone beyond what an iphone already does" and neither of us can ever think of a good reason :p

Because you want to be different from the rest of the sheep, the one that fights the system and throws a hammer through the big screen?

Because you want to be different from the rest of the sheep, the one that fights the system and throws a hammer through the big screen?
Is that what you think you do when you customize your phone? You feel as though you're a crusader sticking it to the corporate giants?

Just out of curiosity: do you also wear a cape?

where do you guys come up with this stuff?

do you just make it up, listen to other people without checking if they're feeding you a line of bullshit, or what is it exactly?

apple doesn't add DRM to music you rip from your CD's. they don't even DRM iTunes music.

You are right, it wasn't actual DRM they used to use for ripped CD's, but they did have a system that made it a complete PITA to move their music between devices. I don't know how it worked exactly, and it isn't as bad now, but I do know that if you didn't deauthorize a device (like say your PC HDD crashed), then you could only use your music on 4 devices at a time instead of 5, or whatever. I never actually used it so I am no expert on it, but I had plenty of people at work that got locked out of tons of their music because they didn't deauthorize their old PCs before we reimaged them... After a couple HDD crashes and a lost iPod or two, their music was limited to a single device. It's better now, but it goes to show Apples ATTITUDE, which sucked when compared to most other companies.

iDevice cables cost the same cheap amount on monoprice or ebay as non-iDevice cables.

BS. The cheapest charge/sync cable runs about $4.50 on Monoprice while a longer USB to micro USB cable costs just $0.70.

Sure, they cost $20 bucks if you walk into an Apple store, but so do usb cables if you buy them from a T-Mobile or AT&T storefront and even more if you go to WorstBuy. Or do you just listen to people whine on here about proprietary apple cable bullshit that isn't true without bothering to do a rudimentary search on monoprice or ebay to find out that they cables *aren't* proprietary. LOL

Did you see where I said a DOZEN Apple cables would cost over $100... If I had been talking regular retail I would have said over $300!!!!. I was already comparing Monoprice prices to Monoprice prices, not Monoprice to Retail.

Apple cables cost more to make and legally the vendors have to pay licensing fees. I am sure they fudge a little on those, but at minimum it still costs 8 times as much for an Apple cable as a USB cable that does the exact same thing, only better and with universal compatibility.

Completely off topic, but I recognized half of those actors from other commercials and/or movies. One of those dudes in line is in Borat.

Odd...

Is that what you think you do when you customize your phone? You feel as though you're a crusader sticking it to the corporate giants?

Just out of curiosity: do you also wear a cape?

Nah capes get you killed when they get caught in machinery:p

Didn't customize my phone either, like I said previously I went with Android after having an iPhone for over two years, and didn't see anything appealing or "innovative" about the newer model that made me want to go get one.

I love competition! If it wasn't for the fact that my work pays for my iPhone's as they need one of us guys in my IT team to be proficient in it I would probably be looking at the Galaxy 3 or the new Razr.

I do that by still using my iPhone 3GS instead of upgrading to a new phone every damned year :D

It's because most people here are the "IT" guy at work or for friends and family and are tired of Apple people saying how superior their apple devices are because Apple just works, then those people ask one of us how to do something on their Apple/idevice.
I like my iPad 2 and my Galaxy S2.

^^ This. I used to set up pretty much every cellphone that comes through the door and I've had more hell with iPhone devices than I've EVER had with Android. The first incident came around the release of the iPhone4. Apple somehow had broken ActiveSync support but didn't tell anybody, but (like Apple always does) released an update to fix the problem (secretly), which was cool. However, spending hours trying to get the device to connect was not.

Then came the iOS update that came when the 4S came out. Great! Except that update killed more than a few iPhones. Some bricked but most of them through the beauty that is iTunes just wiped out their data. HAHAHAHA The good thing about this was that I'm not responsible for their data so all I could do is say, "I'm sorry"..... while I laughed my ass off.

Then about a month ago a co-worker came to me with her iPad2. She said it's locked and it won't let me do anything. Of course I'm thinking to myself "oh yeah this shit just works" . I was able to fix it but only because I've owned one Apple device in my lifetime which was an iPod ( a purchase I just didn't think through). When I owned my iPod, it had a habit of looking at any file type not m4a or mp3 and immediately hard locking. It's the only mp3 player i've owned that required a reboot.

So when people say "it just works" I think to myself "yes that's true if you ignore the times when it doesn't".

Cnet has entire buildings full of Apple fanatics.

I had a friend who worked at Cnet for a couple of years. The amount of office politics that goes on there and the crazy factor of Apple fandom was very much an issue everyday and its not just overly stated , people genuinely get angry if you aren't drinking the "Apple" kool-aid over there.. If you ever intend to work at Cnet , you better like Apple products or you will have a hard time working there.

Wow. Sorry you had problems with it. My GS3 has been perfect. Speaker phone was great, call quality (both ways) great, screen has had no visual defects (though the screen isn't as bright as my original Vibrant, but only slightly). I too work with graphics, and the screen's size more than outweighs the lack of extreme brightness like my blinding Vibrant had. Handling photo sizing/rotation/etc is fast as hell, and with 4+mb photos. Also handy is the microSD. Pop it out, hand it to a client, etc.

I imported 2 years worth of SMS messages as well (MMS too), but from my Vibrant. Took about 8 minutes using SMS Backup, but I haven't had any problems with the messenger slowing unless I open someone who had a LOT of photos sent back and forth, and even then its only a 2 second pause the first time.

Did you have a defunct GS3?

Really not sure.

The speaker had no bass, call quality was terrible - audible hiss when speaking to people. Was an A B test between it and the old iPhone which was miles better.

It wasnt the brightness of the screen but the green cast it had. Load up Google on both it and the PC (Dell IPS calibrated monitor) and the Samsung was clearly green looking whereas old iPhone wasnt.

I used the Samsung Sync program that pulled all my stuff from iTunes so it was all the proper way of doing it :(

... just to add, I bought the phone on contract so Im not an Apple sheep - just that when I had the Samsung I really wanted it to be right and it failed either due to being a bad unit or bad software.

We hate Apple because they are anti-competitive and their products are overpriced. They are whiners when they are at the bottom and bullys when they are on top. This is the Apple way.

... just to add, I bought the phone on contract so Im not an Apple sheep - just that when I had the Samsung I really wanted it to be right and it failed either due to being a bad unit or bad software.

I would say you are. Most normal people with a defective unit would have gotten a replacement.

Really not sure.

The speaker had no bass, call quality was terrible - audible hiss when speaking to people. Was an A B test between it and the old iPhone which was miles better.

It wasnt the brightness of the screen but the green cast it had. Load up Google on both it and the PC (Dell IPS calibrated monitor) and the Samsung was clearly green looking whereas old iPhone wasnt.

I used the Samsung Sync program that pulled all my stuff from iTunes so it was all the proper way of doing it :(

Odd. Now that i've tested the screen out, it is an off-white...but only on the internet browser?

I've got my Dell u2410 calibrated with Adobe, and there is a definite difference, but like I said only on the browser. I'll test out a different non-stock browser and see what happens and post back....

Odd. Now that i've tested the screen out, it is an off-white...but only on the internet browser?

I've got my Dell u2410 calibrated with Adobe, and there is a definite difference, but like I said only on the browser. I'll test out a different non-stock browser and see what happens and post back....

The browser has different brightness than the rest of the system. I think it's a samsung thing. Download Lux... it does a significantly better job of handling brightness adjustments than the factory software. I just wish it had an "invert" setting, to make white black, and black white, etc.

Really not sure.

My speaker seems fine, maybe you had a defective unit.
IPS is going to have better color control than SAMOLED. SAMOLED can be tweaked if desired using aftermarket software/ROM's if it bothers you that much, but it's alot of work. Also, when dim, the screen looks worse than when it's a little bright.

The Samsung Sync application may not work 100%. I wouldn't judge iOS6 or the new iPhone based on how well some 3rd party app ran on it. Migrating platforms is always troublesome. Should you be able to just fire up the app and migrate. Yes. Is that realistic? Not really. It's just like upgrading windows on your computer. A clean install will ALWAYS outperform an upgraded install. Exact same principal. If Apple developed software to migrate users from a Samsung device to an iPhone, when the iPhone was screwed up I'm sure you'd blame Samsung for not working properly with the Apple app...

I'd give it another chance... hell, just buy a Nexus 7, they're practically giving them away, and keep your Apple crud off there for a week and see how it runs.

My girlfriend hates this commercial. She thinks its way too long, shown way too often and boring.

She hates Samsung a little more than she did before because of it.

I did see it like 7 times during the Giants game last night.

Their ads are funny because they're true. They're not even exaggerating or making up anything.

Their ads are funny because Apple did it first (to Microsoft). People who look at those ads as an "attack" probably are not aware of the context here. Apple tried to attack Microsoft by making it seem like the latter were not as HIP anymore, Apple products being almost a religious symbol to hipsters anywhere. Thus, Samsung is a lot more clever then a lot of people think with those ads, particularly in the way they tried to rub it in that Apple is not so hip anymore. Still, i do agree with those who say they ought to focus more on making their products better rather then play games with Apple. The S3 is a great phone, but its far from being perfect, and this time Apple seems to be giving them a run for their money with the iPhone 5 (unlike the 4S, which i felt was totally outclassed by the S2). If they really want to chastise Apple they have to do it on the hardware front. Clever ads won't help them in the long run.

While I'm no Apple guy - this is the same type of thing that can be said about any product in existence. These companies have to make money off of their products. Think of anything and everything you have ever bought in your entire life...yeah...that cost a LOT less to make than the price you bought it for. ;)

Everyone is mum on all those Android phones that cost as much or more than the iPhone but cost $150-200 to produce. All these Android fanboys somehow forgot to mention this fact.

Everyone is mum on all those Android phones that cost as much or more than the iPhone but cost $150-200 to produce. All these Android fanboys somehow forgot to mention this fact.

Happens all the time around here, people seem to love hating on Apple. Sad really, oh and I own a GS3. It's good, but the gaming capabilities of it are limited and are destroyed by the iphone 5.

Android Google Play also sucks balls in comparison to iOS app store.

milkymilky.jpg

Back