Samsung Launches iPhone 5 'Attack Ad'

*sorry @ BladeVenom, I thought by $200 you meant the on-contract price, not the BOM. Apologies.

I don't understand the thing going on here.
Is everyone anti apple, or just pro-samsung?
Is it because apple won the latest case in court?

Sometimes I just want to stop asking myself these questions and just pick a side and bash on the other side to just get over it.

It's because most people here are the "IT" guy at work or for friends and family and are tired of Apple people saying how superior their apple devices are because Apple just works, then those people ask one of us how to do something on their Apple/idevice.
I like my iPad 2 and my Galaxy S2.

It's called subsidies.

It's called subsidies. Why make efforts to compete on price when it's going to be $199 anyways?

I just wish consumers would figure out how much they really pay for their smartphones.
I buy all my phones up front and thus get to use a less expensive plan.

I just wish consumers would figure out how much they really pay for their smartphones.
I buy all my phones up front and thus get to use a less expensive plan.

I pay $50/mo + tax with an iPhone 4S I got for $199.
how much am I really paying?

I just ordered a iphone 5.. I have had droid phones for close to 4 years now. I really just want a phone that works. One that gets updated regualy and doesn't lock up or shit it's self. I got a LG spectrum in feb, promised that it would get ICS buy 2Q here it is Sep and still no update(even though lg has it done FU verizon). I'm not into rooting my phone or messing with it. It's a phone, it should fit in my pocket. Shouldn't get hot on my leg because it's got a quad core in it. Should have a battery life that lasts more then my work shift. Yes apple is stupid simpe blah blah blah..But the damn thing works it's smooth it gets updates..Hell my friends old ass 3gs is getting IOS 6. I just want a damn phone that works. and doesn't have a bunch of bloat ware shit all over it. Why I bought a Iphone 5 :)

Please proceed to the front desk and turn in your [H] card.

"It's a phone." No it isn't. It's a small personal computer. If you aren't into rooting it then you must also be 'ok' with only using things like consoles that are locked-down. Screw modding a game or tricking out a new PC build, right? If you want 'just a phone' get a cheapass dumb-phone. It fits in more than just your pocket, will never have a hot-running quad-core processor and unless it has to swap networks non-stop due to bad signal interference, it will probably last a week or two on standby.

I heard Apple is the most profitable company in the world...

Please proceed to the front desk and turn in your [H] card.

"It's a phone." No it isn't. It's a small personal computer. If you aren't into rooting it then you must also be 'ok' with only using things like consoles that are locked-down. Screw modding a game or tricking out a new PC build, right? If you want 'just a phone' get a cheapass dumb-phone. It fits in more than just your pocket, will never have a hot-running quad-core processor and unless it has to swap networks non-stop due to bad signal interference, it will probably last a week or two on standby.

It makes perfect sense to want a phone that is no-hassle and easy to use and rarely requires any maintenance. It can be fun and helpful to mod your PC to hell and back, and I'm sure some people prefer their phones that way too.

But it's ignorant to think that a phone that "just works" is a stupid purchase for someone who carries whatever the fuck an [H] card is. I personally use my iPhone all the time to contact people and as my main point of contact with most of my family and friends. I I had to new around with it all the time trying to root it and get some new software to work on it, I'd be awful frustrated. I love building PC/, but when it comes to my phone I just want it to do its job.

Is tat too unreasonable?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msPHKs8cmbs

And there's the fact that I'm an owner of a 4s and my girlfriend's got an S3. She frequently comment about the sluggish feel of the S3 as well, but what do I know? I go by Apple optimized benchmarks. :rolleyes:

I suppose you have a site or two that can back your claims up as well? Or maybe we can agree that both phones have apps that runs better on one or the other?

I lol'd when the Samsung ad this thread is about was what I had to watch before watching this review....lol. (although when I refreshed to try it again the ad was for the Nexus7)

Like it or not, the S3 is just another Android phone.

If you prefer iOS, then the S3 is a world away.

I don't expect a forum obsessed with hardware to make sense of this.

iOS 6 has cloud tabs. I can see the tabs that are open on my iPhone from my iPad.
And Siri sounds like she developed a cold on both devices.

I think that sometime in the past,Apple took lessons from L.Ron Hubbard - and they learned their lessons well.

So you are no better than the fanboys, gotcha.

No, it is different because they have Android phones. So since they have the cool phones it's okay for them to do this. God forbid an Apple person do this at an Android launch, though.

Attack ad, for when your products don't have the shit to stand out on their own.

"We have a big screen"

"We have an even bigger screen"

But I don't want a huge screen on my PHONE, if I want a bigger screen, I'll get a Tablet. I like phone sized phones in my pocket and in my hands.

Love all the features on the Galaxy S3 except for the ridiculously large screen. I'm not on the side that increasing screen sizes is good for MOBILE phones. I don't think a bigger screen is a good feature.

You know, if I was concerned more with the phone aspect of a smart phone then I wouldn't double my cell bill to have a few features added on, I'd buy a bloody flip phone. I bought my smart phone to use as a multi-purpose device, so the bigger the screen, the better it is as a multi-purpose device. Considering 1/10th of my phone's use goes to holding the thing up to my face, the other 90% of its use is better provided on a larger screen and more powerful hardware.

People that want their iPhone to be more of a phone than a multi-purpose device, and thus want a smaller size, and then lug around an ipad, confuse the hell out of me. When its slow at work, I use my phone as a tablet and get by fine. My Apple brainwashed coworkers bring their $699 iPhone and $800 ipads to get roughly the same functionality. Doesn't make a lick of sense.

do a you tube search using the words kimmel iphone 5. He goes around asking people to check out this new new iphone 5 and the results say it all. lol :)))

It makes perfect sense to want a phone that is no-hassle and easy to use and rarely requires any maintenance. It can be fun and helpful to mod your PC to hell and back, and I'm sure some people prefer their phones that way too.

But it's ignorant to think that a phone that "just works" is a stupid purchase for someone who carries whatever the fuck an [H] card is. I personally use my iPhone all the time to contact people and as my main point of contact with most of my family and friends. I I had to new around with it all the time trying to root it and get some new software to work on it, I'd be awful frustrated. I love building PC/, but when it comes to my phone I just want it to do its job.

Is tat too unreasonable?

Dude, I totally agree with you. I tried to view this same opinion over when nVNews was still a decent place but got chewed the heck out. Some people, and I mean most people on any PC enthusiast website, just don't have the common sense to understand that people just want a hassle free smartphone. They think a smartphone sucks because you can't root it. IMO, the iPhone delivers. Sure, Android can provide that but with my own personal experience, it has not.

I hear more hate coming my way, but that's alright. I'm used to it by now and could care less. ;)

Dude, I totally agree with you. I tried to view this same opinion over when nVNews was still a decent place but got chewed the heck out. Some people, and I mean most people on any PC enthusiast website, just don't have the common sense to understand that people just want a hassle free smartphone. They think a smartphone sucks because you can't root it. IMO, the iPhone delivers. Sure, Android can provide that but with my own personal experience, it has not.

I hear more hate coming my way, but that's alright. I'm used to it by now and could care less. ;)

I think a lot of people on enthusiast websites are a different demographic than a typical iPhone user......you don't call them enthusiast for nothing. Typical PC enthusiasts build their own systems, customize them to hell and back. Typical Apple enthusiasts buy anything Apple because, well, its Apple. The only way to be "enthusiastic" about Apple is to buy more Apple products, or the newest that Apple has to offer.

So yes, ultra-customization of a smart phone is desired in the enthusiast crowd. To expect something different is not knowing the demographic you're hanging with. ;-)

I bought an S3 on Saturday, returned it on Monday...

What did I love?

. Screen size
. Battery life
. Faster browser
. Customisable options
. Directly connected to my Samsung SMARTV
. Had a torrent program on the device, magnet links from Chrome worked fine - could DL torrent and beam it to my TV without media box or PC

Why did I return it?

. It felt cheap and plastic like a calculator/remote
. Oh my god the speaker phone (which I use a lot and also for podcasts) is UTTER SHIT
. The OLED screen has a tangy green look to it (on a white webpage for instance) - I'm a photographer and need a decent colour repro for showing work. The size was lovely tho, as I said.
. Built in apps kept stopping, popping up WAIT or OK to quit
. UI not as responsive as old iP4
. It kept asking to install updates every 3 hours - fuck off, you're a phone

All that I could have lived with but ...

I used the Samsung software sync to move all my stuff from the 2 year old iPhone 4 I have now.

It went to move my SMS across which are stored as a SQLite DB on the iPhone so having thousands of them is no problem.

It transferrred and the messages program spent 8 HOURS trying to organise itself.

Once it finally completed (after slowing to a crawl) the messages app started dieing. Load it up, read a message hit back ... wait ... press again ... wait ... wait ... wait ... Popup! Would you like to WAIT or QUIT ?

Fuck you. I maybe dont need all my test messages from the last 2 years but its handy and why the fuck not?

So it went back to the shop.

Pickup my iP5 tomorrow, even if its only marginally better than the iP4 I like having a phone that works, doesnt need constant attention and doesnt act all jumped up on meth.

I don't understand the thing going on here.
Is everyone anti apple, or just pro-samsung?
Is it because apple won the latest case in court?

Actually, Apple won the latest *round* in that particular suit, but the suit is far from over as Samsung is appealing the verdict. So far, Apple has received $0 from Samsung. From what I could see, based on juror malfeasance, it is likely to be overturned by an appeals court. It sure looked to me that there were several grounds for appeal in merely Judge Koh's remarks to the jury. It's early yet to say, "Apple won," because Apple hasn't...;)

Sometimes I just want to stop asking myself these questions and just pick a side and bash on the other side to just get over it.

Apple has always had a brain-dead reputation among geeks because it's nuts & bolts technology that tries to pass itself off as a "hip" social movement. I happen to think "bowel movement" is probably closer to the mark, however....:D Apple is so arrogant, bombastic, and pompous that it makes an almost irresistible target.

I bought an S3 on Saturday, returned it on Monday...

What did I love?

. Screen size
. Battery life
. Faster browser
. Customisable options
. Directly connected to my Samsung SMARTV
. Had a torrent program on the device, magnet links from Chrome worked fine - could DL torrent and beam it to my TV without media box or PC

Why did I return it?

. It felt cheap and plastic like a calculator/remote
. Oh my god the speaker phone (which I use a lot and also for podcasts) is UTTER SHIT
. The OLED screen has a tangy green look to it (on a white webpage for instance) - I'm a photographer and need a decent colour repro for showing work. The size was lovely tho, as I said.
. Built in apps kept stopping, popping up WAIT or OK to quit
. UI not as responsive as old iP4
. It kept asking to install updates every 3 hours - fuck off, you're a phone

All that I could have lived with but ...

I used the Samsung software sync to move all my stuff from the 2 year old iPhone 4 I have now.

It went to move my SMS across which are stored as a SQLite DB on the iPhone so having thousands of them is no problem.

It transferrred and the messages program spent 8 HOURS trying to organise itself.

Once it finally completed (after slowing to a crawl) the messages app started dieing. Load it up, read a message hit back ... wait ... press again ... wait ... wait ... wait ... Popup! Would you like to WAIT or QUIT ?

Fuck you. I maybe dont need all my test messages from the last 2 years but its handy and why the fuck not?

So it went back to the shop.

Pickup my iP5 tomorrow, even if its only marginally better than the iP4 I like having a phone that works, doesnt need constant attention and doesnt act all jumped up on meth.

Wow. Sorry you had problems with it. My GS3 has been perfect. Speaker phone was great, call quality (both ways) great, screen has had no visual defects (though the screen isn't as bright as my original Vibrant, but only slightly). I too work with graphics, and the screen's size more than outweighs the lack of extreme brightness like my blinding Vibrant had. Handling photo sizing/rotation/etc is fast as hell, and with 4+mb photos. Also handy is the microSD. Pop it out, hand it to a client, etc.

I imported 2 years worth of SMS messages as well (MMS too), but from my Vibrant. Took about 8 minutes using SMS Backup, but I haven't had any problems with the messenger slowing unless I open someone who had a LOT of photos sent back and forth, and even then its only a 2 second pause the first time.

Did you have a defunct GS3?

I think a lot of people on enthusiast websites are a different demographic than a typical iPhone user......you don't call them enthusiast for nothing. Typical PC enthusiasts build their own systems, customize them to hell and back. Typical Apple enthusiasts buy anything Apple because, well, its Apple. The only way to be "enthusiastic" about Apple is to buy more Apple products, or the newest that Apple has to offer.

So yes, ultra-customization of a smart phone is desired in the enthusiast crowd. To expect something different is not knowing the demographic you're hanging with. ;-)

I build my own systems, customise them to hell and back, use custom cooling and am constantly swapping components out in my PC.

But, when it comes to a phone or laptop, I want the "old reliable", just give me something that works, I really don't care to modify it to do tasks that I'll never actually use it for anyway. That said I don't have a lot of experience with high end Android devices, I've still got an iPhone 3GS because at the time it was the best value for money on the deal which I got it on and it still works so I still use it :p

The same goes with cars for me. I enjoy working on race cars, building them up, finding the optimal parts, machining my own if need to be, welding the chassis, all fun stuff. But when it comes to the car I actually drive on the street to get to work, I want something reliable that I don't constantly have to pay attention to in order to keep it on the road and though I'll work on it myself, I'm also happy enough to take it to a mechanic if I'm too busy/lazy to work on it myself.

So apparently this "it just works" phone has the new iOS6 releasing now. My facebook is alight with idiots trying to fix their wifi capabilities that the new OS apparently broke.

I posted "Apple. It just works" and the discussion thread went dead.

I build my own systems, customise them to hell and back, use custom cooling and am constantly swapping components out in my PC.

But, when it comes to a phone or laptop, I want the "old reliable", just give me something that works, I really don't care to modify it to do tasks that I'll never actually use it for anyway. That said I don't have a lot of experience with high end Android devices, I've still got an iPhone 3GS because at the time it was the best value for money on the deal which I got it on and it still works so I still use it :p

The same goes with cars for me. I enjoy working on race cars, building them up, finding the optimal parts, machining my own if need to be, welding the chassis, all fun stuff. But when it comes to the car I actually drive on the street to get to work, I want something reliable that I don't constantly have to pay attention to in order to keep it on the road and though I'll work on it myself, I'm also happy enough to take it to a mechanic if I'm too busy/lazy to work on it myself.

Who says you can't have a fully customized phone (car) and not have it reliable too?

My old Vibrant had custom firmwares on it, and it "just worked" too. Maybe this isn't an issue of Android vs iPhone, but of misc crap Android phone vs iPhone? You get what you pay for. :D

Wow. Sorry you had problems with it. My GS3 has been perfect. Speaker phone was great, call quality (both ways) great, screen has had no visual defects (though the screen isn't as bright as my original Vibrant, but only slightly). I too work with graphics, and the screen's size more than outweighs the lack of extreme brightness like my blinding Vibrant had. Handling photo sizing/rotation/etc is fast as hell, and with 4+mb photos. Also handy is the microSD. Pop it out, hand it to a client, etc.

I imported 2 years worth of SMS messages as well (MMS too), but from my Vibrant. Took about 8 minutes using SMS Backup, but I haven't had any problems with the messenger slowing unless I open someone who had a LOT of photos sent back and forth, and even then its only a 2 second pause the first time.

Did you have a defunct GS3?

I have the S3 as well, and love the phone, but i agree with him. The external speaker is a small crappy POS. My OG droid I upgraded from was 100x better. But I almost never use the phone speaker. Other than that the phone has been rock solid, with no apps crashing ever for me (stock or 3rd party).

Who says you can't have a fully customized phone (car) and not have it reliable too?
I never said you couldn't, but just because someone is focused on customisable in one area doesn't mean they are interested in customisable in all areas ;) I like to customise things that are actually fun to customise, my high end PC where I'm trying to squeeze every inch of performance out, the track car which drinks gallons of fuel and eats a fresh set of tyres for breakfast, lunch and tea... not the phone I used to make meetings, ring my Mum and check my emails, not the car which I want to get me the hour to and from work as cheaply as possible :p

Based on the fact this is an enthusiast forum, if I were to hazard a guess at what "tech enthusiast" meant it'd be less about people who like customisable things and be more along the lines of "someone who cares more about someone elses' purchases than is typically considered sane" :p
My old Vibrant had custom firmwares on it, and it "just worked" too. Maybe this isn't an issue of Android vs iPhone, but of misc crap Android phone vs iPhone? You get what you pay for. :D
Like I said I'm not going to comment on high end android vs iphone because I've never had a high end android to know. I know my low end android is a piece of shit and my iphone is wonderful but that's a different story :p

One of my nerd friends always talks about phones and customising phones and in the end it comes down to a discussion of "and why would I want to customise my smart phone beyond what an iphone already does" and neither of us can ever think of a good reason :p

I just ordered a iphone 5.. I have had droid phones for close to 4 years now. I really just want a phone that works. One that gets updated regualy and doesn't lock up or shit it's self. I got a LG spectrum in feb, promised that it would get ICS buy 2Q here it is Sep and still no update(even though lg has it done FU verizon). I'm not into rooting my phone or messing with it. It's a phone, it should fit in my pocket. Shouldn't get hot on my leg because it's got a quad core in it. Should have a battery life that lasts more then my work shift. Yes apple is stupid simpe blah blah blah..But the damn thing works it's smooth it gets updates..Hell my friends old ass 3gs is getting IOS 6. I just want a damn phone that works. and doesn't have a bunch of bloat ware shit all over it. Why I bought a Iphone 5 :)

No offense but you bought an lg android phone and are complaining about issues. LG android phones are known for having the worst software of any manufacturer.

They think a smartphone sucks because you can't root it.
But you can! Jailbreaking and rooting are essentially equivalent operations.

apple will be irrelevant in 2 years
People were saying that two years ago. Now they're selling more products than ever, and their stock price is hitting all-time highs. It turns out that biases have a knack for grossly skewing predictions.

People were saying that two years ago. Now they're selling more products than ever, and their stock price is hitting all-time highs. It turns out that biases have a knack for grossly skewing predictions.

Yeah he's got the wrong company. It's AMD that's going under in a couple years! ;)

One of my nerd friends always talks about phones and customising phones and in the end it comes down to a discussion of "and why would I want to customise my smart phone beyond what an iphone already does" and neither of us can ever think of a good reason :p
I have a pretty damn good reason that has kept me from ever considering the iPhone: free tethering apps. AFAIK, they're unavailable without Jailbreak on iOS, and even then you're at a higher risk of getting found out by your carrier. On Android, apps like EasyTether and PDAnet work right out of the box (no root), and are even available in the Play Store.

As someone who needs tethering capabilities while traveling, but prefers not to be raped for another $30/mo. by AT&T for using data I've already paid for, I'd say this is a nontrivial issue. It's also symbolic of the overarching reason I will never limit myself by investing in the Apple ecosystem; who knows when the next analogous situation will come up.

Back