Samsung Laughs at Apple’s Dongles in Latest Galaxy S9 Ads

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Samsung has released four new Galaxy S9 advertisements to poke fun at the alleged shortcomings of the newest iPhones. One video, titled “Dongle,” seems pretty accurate, as Apple users are finding they need more and more adapters and cables to access "legacy" devices, particularly if they want to charge devices at the same time.

While the ad is definitely a parody of the Apple Store and the whole Apple Genius concept, it does sound surprisingly like a real conversation a would-be iPhone buyer might have chatting with a friend: "A dongle?" "Yeah, a dongle. It comes in the box." "But what if I just need to charge at the same time?" "Then you're going to need another type of dongle." "Like a double dongle?" "Yeah, a double dongle. I guess."

I am not a Apple guy, never owned their product. First time seeing and hearing about this... not sure how useful it is, but it does seem unnecessary and silly...

I am not a Apple guy, never owned their product. First time seeing and hearing about this... not sure how useful it is, but it does seem unnecessary and silly...

Uhhh... Pretty obvious what they are doing. They didn't own the rights to the headphone-jack. They DO own the rights to the lighting cable spec.

So basically, anytime anyone wants to make anything for an iPhone (accessories, etc...) they will have to pay Apple for using their cable format.

It's the same reason they diverted from USB (micro, etc...) and made the "lightning" cable.

Uhhh... Pretty obvious what they are doing. They didn't own the rights to the headphone-jack. They DO own the rights to the lighting cable spec.

So basically, anytime anyone wants to make anything for an iPhone (accessories, etc...) they will have to pay Apple for using their cable format.

It's the same reason they diverted from USB (micro, etc...) and made the "lightning" cable.

So, I need to dingle my dongle, while using a flonglle while jongling? No wonder I never fit in.

Apple has had one charge connector for six years, Samsung has gone through three in that time. Also this is funny coming from Samsung, the company which brought you this abomination:

A0FB2116-3295-4689-BB46-9A701FFACCD7.jpeg

They did come out with reversible cable before USB, Galaxy 7 was still using micro USB while other Android phones had already moved to 3.1...

Samsung is getting desperate. The s9 sales numbers have been horrible. Yes, Apple uses a dongle but it has the best output of any phone aside from LG's quad DAC models and extra dongles cost only $9.

I personally went with an iPhone X because I am *done* with Android at this point. And I'm very happy with the move to Apple thus far.

Apple has had one charge connector for six years, Samsung has gone through three in that time. Also this is funny coming from Samsung, the company which brought you this abomination:

View attachment 91020
Yeah, USB 3.0 (aka USB 2.1 plus a few more wires) was a bit cumbersome in mobile. Thankfully it was compatible with regular micro-usb cables so you could forego the trouble so long as you didn't need the extra power delivery. I never owned a phone with 3.0 personally, all mine were 2.1 micro usb. Next will probably be 3.1 type-c, in a year or two.

Reactions: Maxx
like this
Samsung ads "this is stuipid"
6 months later
Samsung ads "this is great, apple is crap"

How that's notch treating ya. Biggest copycats in the game.

Good. I miss my god damn headphone jack. It’s too late but maybe this will make Apple think a little.

My wife’s Mac Book Pro doesn’t even have a friggin normal USB 3.0 or 2.0 port. You have to buy a dongle to connect to fucking anything with a normal USB plug.

6 months later

They beat Apple to water resistant phones by years. That’s the most useful thing to me since smart phones showed up.

Reactions: DocNo
like this
Samsung has released four new Galaxy S9 advertisements to poke fun at the alleged shortcomings of the newest iPhones. One video, titled “Dongle,” seems pretty accurate, as Apple users are finding they need more and more adapters and cables to access "legacy" devices, particularly if they want to charge devices at the same time.

While the ad is definitely a parody of the Apple Store and the whole Apple Genius concept, it does sound surprisingly like a real conversation a would-be iPhone buyer might have chatting with a friend: "A dongle?" "Yeah, a dongle. It comes in the box." "But what if I just need to charge at the same time?" "Then you're going to need another type of dongle." "Like a double dongle?" "Yeah, a double dongle. I guess."

ZoK9cQa.jpg

Lol sam “we will forget about your phone in 6months” sung

Such a trash phone company.

They beat Apple to water resistant phones by years. That’s the most useful thing to me since smart phones showed up.

and who invented the smart phone?

Did you have a windows CE device?

and who invented the smart phone?

IBM is accredited with that. Although there were many to follow it.

All Apple did was do what they do best, aethetics and massive amounts of marketing. But there were plenty of "smartphones" on the market before the iPhone launched, they were just targeting them at business customers.

All Apple did was do what they do best, aethetics and massive amounts of marketing. But there were plenty of "smartphones" on the market before the iPhone launched, they were just targeting them at business customers.

Also they had the momentum of the ipod which was the really key issue. It allowed them to get the best negotiations. I credit apple with accelerating the smart phone market to where it is today. If apple didn't have the ipod card who knows how long it would have taken for carriers to let people install apps, music and so on from a third party

6 months later

Why didn't you say that about AMOLED? It's like you conveniently forget that Apple only started featuring it on iPhone X.

But it is faster than Micro USB. C'mon, admit it.
I used it, the speed was nice if you needed to transfer to a PC. But you had to manually enable it, it disabled charging and if you had a long transfer you had to recharge after as it drained the battery.

The usb 3 connector on the note 3 was simply a non issue and because of its backwards compatibility no one had to use any difference chargers. I really don't get how that is a bad thing. Just like now days you are free to plug a 3.5 mm headphone into your Samsung device or a USB C headphone. Whatever you like. And I consider this to be one of samsungs most admirable traits and why they have won my business for many phones now. Sometimes a new technology really needs to replace an old one Samsung is good at bringing the new one in with less downsides as compared to other phone makers.

I used it, the speed was nice if you needed to transfer to a PC. But you had to manually enable it, it disabled charging and if you had a long transfer you had to recharge after as it drained the battery.
Using a cable to transfer files

Ftp or nothing.

I would never own an iphone because of this and a few other reasons..however I feel this is a case of pot calling the kettle black. Samsung has just as long of a list of anti consumer bullshit in their phones at this point where they don't exactly have a moral high ground.

Oh no you din't! It is Apple's arbitrary way to coerce people into buying things they do not need,.....but.....the Apple elite will tell you it is due to the magical-mystical-electrical way Apple has found to do things better than before. It is a step forward into a future one simply cannot understand until Apple deems we are worthy enough to comprehend the ramifications of such things.

This is Apple, It is what they do and therefore, cannot be questioned.

Oh no you din't! It is Apple's arbitrary way to coerce people into buying things they do not need,.....but.....the Apple elite will tell you it is due to the magical-mystical-electrical way Apple has found to do things better than before. It is a step forward into a future one simply cannot understand until Apple deems we are worthy enough to comprehend the ramifications of such things.

This is Apple, It is what they do and therefore, cannot be questioned.

A magical-mystical-electric way that will make your genitals tingle (in a good way, not an STI way)

Good. I miss my god damn headphone jack. It’s too late but maybe this will make Apple think a little.

My wife’s Mac Book Pro doesn’t even have a friggin normal USB 3.0 or 2.0 port. You have to buy a dongle to connect to fucking anything with a normal USB plug.

She's using the wrong USB devices. ;)

Lol

Sure

Reactions: DocNo
like this
It would be nice if Samsung could make a phone that didn't come loaded down with bloatware and run like crap. Every Samsung phone I've ever owned ends up being a dog from a performance standpoint (my S7 Edge lagged so badly that I would miss calls because it wouldn't respond in time to the answer button) and it doesn't help that they allow the carriers to modify the firmware and push their own bloatware in addition to Samsung's own bloat.

Back