Samsung Issues Apology Letter To Galaxy Note7 Customers

HardOCP News

[H] News
Samsung has issued open letter apologizing to all Galaxy Note7 customers for all the problems caused by the Galaxy Note7 recall. So what do you think? Is an apology letter going to work or does Samsung have a lot of work to do to "win back your trust?"

Samsung has a long heritage of innovation and we have shown that we can and will learn from our mistakes. While we are always looking to innovate and create the next generation of great consumer technology, safety will remain our top priority. We will invest to better serve your needs through enhanced customer care and quality assurance. On behalf of all our employees across Europe, we are truly sorry, and grateful for your ongoing support. We will listen to you, learn from this and act in a way that allows us to win back your trust.

Words are bullshit.

You're not my buddy, guy.

If you want to say you're sorry and have it mean something, send every Note 7 customer a $20 gift card to Amazon and a $100 coupon off any new Samsung phone.
next phone from them will have a removable battery, would be the best way to do this IMO.
How would that help? You're going to grab the raging inferno failing battery out of your phone after it goes off?

My S3 and S5 still worked fine last time I used them.

Just because they had one bad phone doesn't mean I will never get another product from them.

What would happen if we did this with car manufacturers?

One recall and everybody refuses to buy from them again?

We would have 0 car manufacturers left.

Same goes for laptop manufacturers. Pretty sure that every single one has had a battery recall.

Words are bullshit.

If you want to say you're sorry and have it mean something, send every Note 7 customer a $20 gift card to Amazon and a $100 coupon off any new Samsung phone.

How would that help? You're going to grab the raging inferno failing battery out of your phone after it goes off?

Allows a market for 3rd party batteries, also they could just send out new batteries instead of recalling phones. Typically a battery with a door has more space to expand.

Words are bullshit.

Why you raging?

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016...te-7-owners-100-to-buy-another-samsung-phone/

Removable battery sure would make replacing a defective design easy wouldn't it?

Did they ever figure out what was causing the failures? Last I heard was that they determined it *wasn't* the battery and weren't sure.

Personally, I think they should move away from the Galaxy and Note branding. Not sure how other airlines are handling it, but WestJet announced 'Galaxy Note 7s' were prohibited from any of their flights multiple times before boarding - and it sounded like it was a Transport Canada regulation so I'd imagine all airlines would have to make a similar announcement. That's bad publicity, and for casual consumers, they might just hear 'Galaxy' or 'Note 7' and just avoid the product.

a. my note worked good up until 4.1.1 was released by Samsung/ATT... after that battery life was cut in half. Whose fault was it? Not sure but the phone never worked the same after. Apps were slow, constantly crashed.
b. got an s5... first one was ok for a few weeks then Samsung/ATT did an update to v5 or so and it cut the battery in half. They then did a "fix" that wouldn't update, it would reboot my phone to the preboot screen each morning.
c. replacement worked fine for a year... then Samsung/ATT does an update that starts slowing the phone down, making the battery life bad etc.
d. phone starts falling apart... battery panel is broken even in case/never dropped, the port covers snap off etc. it just seems to rot on its own.
e. 6.01 is released for the same phone > fixes app slowness issues >battery still stinks

the entire time their phones go nuts if wifi signal is low/4g is low > drain battery life/overheat.

then their phones started on fire and i said no to samsung.

Someone should print the letter then film it getting set on fire. :blackeye:

I use the crap out of my phones. My S3 died literally just from overuse. Probably will happen to my S6. I consider them to be durable considering they're only designed to really be functional fully for 2 years at most.

a. my note worked good up until 4.1.1 was released by Samsung/ATT... after that battery life was cut in half. Whose fault was it? Not sure but the phone never worked the same after. Apps were slow, constantly crashed.
b. got an s5... first one was ok for a few weeks then Samsung/ATT did an update to v5 or so and it cut the battery in half. They then did a "fix" that wouldn't update, it would reboot my phone to the preboot screen each morning.
c. replacement worked fine for a year... then Samsung/ATT does an update that starts slowing the phone down, making the battery life bad etc.
d. phone starts falling apart... battery panel is broken even in case/never dropped, the port covers snap off etc. it just seems to rot on its own.
e. 6.01 is released for the same phone > fixes app slowness issues >battery still stinks

the entire time their phones go nuts if wifi signal is low/4g is low > drain battery life/overheat.

then their phones started on fire and i said no to samsung.

Umm, I think your problem isn't the phone maker. Its the carrier my friend.

I had a Note 2, wife an S2, then she got a Note 3 and I switched to a Droid Turbo. We will be due for our next upgrades an January or February. We aren't scared at all of Samsung's products and I know we won't go with Apple. She is about ready to chuck her Ipad Air2 and her two Apple TVs.
We'll go Samsung, she'll get the biggest screen they offer in a phone no matter what they call it and I don't see our service with Verizon causing us any problems as we have had no problems with them.

Used my S3 for over 3 years, still worked fine, other than being a little slow on some of the newer games. Main problem was that T-Mobile wouldn't update it past 4.3

I've had a Note 4 since then. Bought it after the Note 5 was out since the Note 4 had the SD slot and the removable battery (unlike the 5), plus it was a lot cheaper.
Very happy with the Note 4, it's fast, takes good pictures (for a phone), runs even better after 6.0 update.

I wouldn't buy any phone/tablet still running on 4.x.
To many problem/security holes. I recently rooted my old Asus Transformer tablet (4.2) and installed 6.0. Runs like a new tablet.

Did they ever figure out what was causing the failures? Last I heard was that they determined it *wasn't* the battery and weren't sure.

IIRC, they also issued a short lived software update before they gave up and did a full recall. My assumption is it was a poorly designed charging circuit and they thought they could tweak it with software.

I'd still trust them personally. They've had one "bad" phone in the many years they've been making them. If they have another one of these recalls in a year or so, then I might change my mind.

I had the same opinion.. then their washing machines started to blow up.

I'm not buying another Samsung phone because their software AND support is shit.

Them deciding to cut corners on the most volatile portion of the device doesn't help either.

Bad luck on their part, but the phone division and the washing machine division are in totally different parts of the company. I don't think you can connect the two yet. Unless of course MORE Samsung stuff starts to go to hell.

Blowing up is a stretch. The problem appears to be due to the fast spin cycle and the washer getting out of balance and shacking itself apart.

I have one of the washers that was recalled, and don't see how this could happen, since the washer automatically self levels each load.
We've used it for over 2 years, only once or twice have we have it go out of balance. When it did, it automatically stopped and displayed an error message. We just moved a few items around and restarted it.

My Samsung stuff has been nothing but awesome. If my own money was tied up in the new note issue then it would be hard to use them again. It's too hard not to feel some emotional betrayal there..

But seeing as I don't... I'd totally get another phone from them again. Esp. the note (I've had two models) as the stylus is awesome.

As an owner of a Note 5, I really like Samsung phones, but they were trying too hard to be Apple, instead of trying hard to beat Apple. Removing the SD card slots, fixed batteries... they were trying too hard to lock people into a disposable purchase.

As an owner of a Note 5, I really like Samsung phones, but they were trying too hard to be Apple, instead of trying hard to beat Apple. Removing the SD card slots, fixed batteries... they were trying too hard to lock people into a disposable purchase.

I know exactly what you mean!!

BUT - Back when I did have the option, I was too lazy and cheap to replace my battery and the storage was mostly fine for me. The irony isn't lost on me.

I know exactly what you mean!!

BUT - Back when I did have the option, I was too lazy and cheap to replace my battery and the storage was mostly fine for me. The irony isn't lost on me.

But that is the main kicker: offering features most people don't need is better than removing features some people want. The fact that you (or I) did not need SD storage or additional batteries goes to show how versatile the products were: some people found use for them, others liked the products as-is.

But I'm the same: I never used the SD card slots or invested in aftermarket batteries.

The only part I'm disappointed with is finding a phone that had every feature I needed already built in then having to give-up the phone due to some flaw and go back to searching for the perfect-for-me phone. Really unfortunate.

Samsung, just make sure the Note 8 doesn't have any of the issues Note 7 suffered from, alright?

Thus recall gave me an opportunity to try a non-Samsung Android device for the first tine (Google Pixel XL). Samsung needs to prove that they can get in lock step with Google on security updates, and get up to current OS releases more quickly before I will consider them again. . They also need to get their UI performance at least close to Google... Seriously, my Note 7 was more laggy than my Note 5 in day to day use... The Pixel XL is the fastest and smoothest Android device I've used.

Having said that, I really miss my Note 7. I liked the hardware better than my Google Pixel XL,. It was by far the most co portable phone I've held in my hands. I feel like the camera was better too with this darn lens flare issue on this Pixel XL ruining some if my outdoor shots... That didn't happen on my Note 7.... Also U really miss wireless charging.

Honestly, this situation was going to eventually happen to one if the major phone makers. Other than the customer service issues I have experience d with Samsung as a result of this event and past warranty issues, I don't think I'd say I hold this against them at this point. Hopefully they follow through with information about the cause of this issue.

I really liked the Note 7 while I had it, but I am not holding a grudge. Kind of hard to justify a grudge after being refunded for my phone, accessories, (including the used screen protectors), and receiving a $100 credit on my ATT bill.

Will definitely consider the next Note as long as it has an SD card slot.

Allow us to root our fucking Samsung phones again then we can talk. I love their beautiful OLED screens but as of late they are just another ugly soul on the inside with a beautiful face.

Back