Samsung is Offering Same Day In-Person Repairs

rgMekanic

[H]ard|News
Samsung has announced that Samsung Care is now offering same day in-person repairs for the Galaxy line of smartphones. Starting March 15th, over 300 uBreakiFix locations are now going to be an official Samsung Galaxy repair facility. Engadget states that the companies are promising same day repairs on Galaxy phones ranging from the S6 and Note 5, through the S9 and Note 8, often with most problems taking less than 2 hours.

Seems like Samsung is going a smart way around one of the largest appeals of the iPhone, the Apple Store. While the engadget article states budget Samsung phones are out of luck, clicking the "Start your repair" button on the uBreakiFix website, shows phones like the S4, and even the j3 and j7 listed.

Unauthorized repairs and parts make a problem worse or even create a new one. That's why all our pros are Samsung-certified and only ever use Samsung parts. The result? Your Galaxy is restored to factory conditions in less than a day.

And costs $$$...
Oh poo, shit ain't free :(

On topic, excellent move! In particular, being able to get your phone repaired so it retains IP68 rating (water proof) is a BIG plus. In the past, local repair options for Samsung phones were a crapshoot at best, now there's Samsung to fall back onto when things go awry. I love it.

Samsung has announced that Samsung Care is now offering same day in-person repairs for the Galaxy line of smartphones. Starting March 15th, over 300 uBreakiFix locations are now going to be an official Samsung Galaxy repair facility. Engadget states that the companies are promising same day repairs on Galaxy phones ranging from the S6 and Note 5, through the S9 and Note 8, often with most problems taking less than 2 hours.

Seems like Samsung is going a smart way around one of the largest appeals of the iPhone, the Apple Store. While the engadget article states budget Samsung phones are out of luck, clicking the "Start your repair" button on the uBreakiFix website, shows phones like the S4, and even the j3 and j7 listed.

Unauthorized repairs and parts make a problem worse or even create a new one. That's why all our pros are Samsung-certified and only ever use Samsung parts. The result? Your Galaxy is restored to factory conditions in less than a day.

Good that they offer official repair but damn, that's some crazy prices they demand. Good luck with that!

Oh poo, shit ain't free :(

On topic, excellent move! In particular, being able to get your phone repaired so it retains IP68 rating (water proof) is a BIG plus. In the past, local repair options for Samsung phones were a crapshoot at best, now there's Samsung to fall back onto when things go awry. I love it.
Its not that i see no reason to put colse to $300 into an old phone when you can get something like a one plus for a few hundred more.

I checked a couple prices on their site. Note 4 "glass and lcd replacement" $240, Note 8 $260. Battery replacement "request a quote". Sheesh, is the glass part of the lcd or why are those prices so high?

Now if only they could get their phones updated at a faster pace..

Honestly though, with companies like T-Mobile offering their own warranty and the costs to replace your phone versus taking it to Samsung and paying those prices it just doesn’t seem like a good thing to me.

Apple on the other hand doesn’t just sell phones, and their stores repair services aren’t just phone-centric so for them it makes better sense, although I’m not sure how much repairs are even with Apple Care and Apple Care Plus.

Last edited:
Just to piggy back on this being too expensive ...I've exchanged my note 3 with tmo 6 times so far, and i believe my insurance is around $60 per year. It has diminishing returns the longer this goes on (value of phone plumets, my insurance cost does not), but honestly at this point, I've stopped caring for the new phones- nothing besides higher ppi/cam/gpu specs and no removable batteries.

They yust needed to give new model for free if old one cracks or get water. Becouse off shit quality from Samsung, Nokia, Lg a haw to live now whit broken phones and whitout a chance to get job.

I like how they try to imply that third party servicers don't use Samsung parts like there is this huge supply chain of off brand parts for extremely propriety devices.

I like how they try to imply that third party servicers don't use Samsung parts like there is this huge supply chain of off brand parts for extremely propriety devices.

thats what i noticed as well. Though im taking it they are trying for a positive PR angle to the whole thing going on right now about being able to fix the electronics and such ourselves, the right to repair laws

Good that they offer official repair but damn, that's some crazy prices they demand. Good luck with that!
If I can get it repaired that same day, then I will pay. Being without my device for even a couple of days is absolute no-go for me.

Because opening and replacing screens on modern phones and tablets, most of which require heat guns and reapplication of adhesives is a pain in the ass. Tiny ribbons and tweezers. And Samsung is going to have these locations carry an INVENTORY of repair parts for same-day repairs.

Yeah, it's going to be well north of $200 doing it that way.

Will you pay nearly $300 for a screen?

Newer samsung screens cost a lot. You'll easily pay anywhere from $100-200 or more for the screen alone so $250 for same day repair isn't too far out there.

No excuse for the prices on the older Galaxy S phones though. Those Galaxy S4 screens are $40 so it's $200+ for 2 hrs of labor.

They're making real good money off this since they'll pay nowhere near what you'll pay to get the replacement screens.

They're making real good money off this since they'll pay nowhere near what you'll pay to get the replacement screens.
Electricity, heating, cooling, water, rent, etc. need to be paid for. And we're not even talking about the employee salaries and benefits (health, hospitalization, prescription, etc.) yet. All of that costs money.

Electricity, heating, cooling, water, rent, etc. need to be paid for. And we're not even talking about the employee salaries and benefits (health, hospitalization, prescription, etc.) yet. All of that costs money.
Still doesn't explain why an S8 glass repair is estimated $260 with a screen that costs me $200 ($350 through ifixit) to buy while an S4 glass repair is estimated $240 with a screen that costs me $40 to buy.

The estimates may still be way off, who knows. I'm just saying I can get a "like new" GS4 off amazon for $240, or I can get my glass repaired for an estimated $240.

Last edited:
If I can get it repaired that same day, then I will pay. Being without my device for even a couple of days is absolute no-go for me.

That's why you get a backup cheap-o Moto E4 or something similar that will carry you through. Heck, I just spend 3 days with a 2013 MotoX while I was waiting for the S9 to ship.

Back